Söderking's back home – Stockholm – Live Scoring - Page 86 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #1276
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The return to classical ground – Roland Garros, Paris – Live Scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTennis View Post
Nolby: Maybe he has to change a bit of his playing style, more to the way Federer plays. He doesn't waste to much power in the matches against weaker opponents and he is never injured. If Robin wants to stay at top 6 in the rankings, and increase even more (top 3 and a GS-win), I think he has to waste less powers in the early rounds. In that way, he won't be injured as much as Nadal for example and he can play tennis for many years to come.
Hi SweTennis,

Yea, noone has as economical a game in terms of preserving strength as Fed. I wish it was that easy. Fed has found ways to dictacte matches without giving 110% out there, whereas it seems to me that Del Pony and Soda really need to charge themselves up physically and mentally and "go for it" if you know what I mean, to win a tough match. When Robin is rested and in good shape physically (no shoulder or knee issues), he puts almost any match on his racquet by dictating the offense and as many have said: "blowing the opponent off the court" with his angles and agressive strategy. I watched the Fed match again and he had Fed on the run, not something you see very often. He had Fed lterally whiffing at shots he couldn't reach. Del Pony did a similar thing to Fed at the U.S. Open last year. Fed can have a player whiffing at shots, but usually hits a "zipper" when he moves them out of position with something soft laterally or from side to side (i.e. his drop shot from back deep when used effectively). Robin was nailing the ball at such extreme angles and with such velocity, Fed was robbed of time and couldn't do anything with the shots he could reach (i.e. he tried some of that soft stuff like the long drop shots, and he didn't even come close because he couldn't handle the shots).

Anyway, the Cilic and Berdych matches were interesting because those two employ a similar strategy as Robin does, but neither one is as effective at nailing the lines (although they are pretty good at that too), and I don't think they have the mental strength that Robin or Del Potro have: that "never say die" attitude and ability to come back after being down.

Here's a huge point noone is making in the media. Have the literal losses of Del Potro and Kolya (Del Potro just had wrist surgery and is going to end up missing almost an entire year, he is aiming for a return at the Paris Open in November; Kolya broke his wrist at Rotterdam) and the mental confidence losses by Nole and Muzza just made things too easy for Fedal? What would have happened in the Final if someone like Del Potro had taken a set or two off Rafa on his way to the Finals?

I mean, I don't think Rafa lost one set the entire tournament. Obviously, Robin had the 4 setter against Fed and the 5 setter on Friday against Berdych and Cilic match in the R16 was tough despite the outcome. Del Potro and Kolya were pretty much the main dudes who were taking Rafa out of tournament after tournament last year. If you take Soda out of the equation, Roger and Rafa lost a total of 0 sets. Roger came into the QFs with no sets lost at all and Soda took 3. If it is going to turn out that he has to take out a fresh and untested Rafa and Roger every tournament, and NOONE else steps up, he is looking at a pretty difficult to impossible task. He has to run through both of them at their highest level of confidence and highest level of energy and physical fitness.

Some might think as Soda fans it is a good thing all the other top players seem to be on the decline or have had disastrous long term injuries. I don't see it that way. If Nole had at least given Rafa a workout in the Semis and taken a set off him, a precedent for some kind of blueprint as well as a more weary Rafa would have made the match on Sunday more competitive. Tennis needs Nole, Muzza, and Roddick to start playing with more confidence again. The complete loss of a talent like Del Potro has been devastating to the competitiveness of the game as he was yet another guy that at least gave "Fedal" a test, if not completely beating one or both of them like he did at the U.S. Open last year. Kolya was doing pretty well at one point too, and seemed to have a game that really tripped Rafa up. Rafa didn't have to face Kolya once the entire Clay season because of Kolya's broken wrist. I'm happy Soda is still out there fighting, but he also needs the other top talents to start picking it up again too. Hopefully, that starts at SW19, and hopefully, when Del Potro returns to some kind of form sometime next year, we can start enjoying him as a legitimate threat to the top 2 as well. This wrist issue for Del Potro has turned out to be a horrible disaster for the game....he was one guy like Robin that you could always count on to make the Big Two have to sweat it out a bit and was a legitimate threat to take them out of every match.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #1277
country flag SweTennis

SweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strawberries and cream, anyone? – Wimbledon, London – Live Scoring

6-2, 4-1. It looks really good so far.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #1278
country flag SweTennis

SweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond reputeSweTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, Robin takes second set, 6-2!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #1279
country flag SweTennis

The match has only lasted 49 minutes and Robin has already won two sets, both with 6-2.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #1280
country flag SweTennis

He takes the first game in the third set after an ace. It seems so easy. :P
Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #1281
country flag SweTennis

An entertaining point and there we have a break. 2-0.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #1282
country flag SweTennis

Robin saves two break points, both with an ace.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #1283
country flag SweTennis

Well served and Robin holds to 4-1! The match has only lasted 1.06 h.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #1284
country flag SweTennis

Ginepri had 0-30 in Robin's serve, but Robin won the game. 5-2 in the third (and probably last) set.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #1285
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Robin!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1286
country flag SweTennis

Woho! 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 to Robin after another great first serve. He was out on court for 78 minutes and it was never exciting. Next opponent is the winner between Gil and Granollers. I hope Robin will play like this in that match too, because it looked very good today.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #1287
country flag SweTennis

In the following interview he said that his confidence was very high after Roland Garros and that the match felt good. Well done, Robin!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #1288
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

Great match from Robin!Well done!
AgnRus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #1289
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

pic from match
AgnRus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #1290
country flag Guille.

Guille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond reputeGuille. has a reputation beyond repute

it was easier than what I expected well done Robin