Do The Mods Think They're Gods? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #91
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do The Mods Think They're Gods?

I said ''would like to limit'' in a joking reference to people like Snowwy above who can not understand why people talk about non-tennis in a non-tennis area. Snowwy thinks anyone who talks about non-tennis subjects in non-tennis needs to go to school and get an education.

I agree about the moderators, but I think that once posters become aware that by acting badly in a thread they can get the whole thread deleted, it could lead to mayhem. So far I am not aware of any punishment for the posters that caused my thread to be deleted.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #92
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
But before my thread was deleted I got the impression that people thought it was very much OK to discuss German tragedies, but a tragedy in the US should not warrant a thread.
And I tried to explain why I think that there were different reasons for the reactions you got.

Quote:
I very much understand the importance of football. I'm Irish and I'm dying out here. If I had gone into that Enke thread and posted offensive comments about Germans, footballers and people who kill themselves, do you really think Peta Pan would have deleted the thread? Or would she have banned me, the offender?
No, your posts would've been deleted. Just like the mods first deleted single posts on your thread before closing it. And maybe you would've received an infraction at some point.
But in the case of your thread, it wasn't just one poster trying to disrupt an ongoing discussion. I'm not saying that I liked those reactions to the OP but I also think that provoking people is maybe not exactly the best way to get them to talk about a subject that's important to you.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #93
country flag Kart
Banned!

Kart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond reputeKart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said ''would like to limit'' in a joking reference to people like Snowwy above who can not understand why people talk about non-tennis in a non-tennis area. Snowwy thinks anyone who talks about non-tennis subjects in non-tennis needs to go to school and get an education.
I'm not sure why (if) what he / she says bothers you that much but the simple solution to that is to ignore him / her once you find further discussion is futile. I believe this site has a 'user ignore' option that would probably assist you there.

Quote:
I agree about the moderators, but I think that once posters become aware that by acting badly in a thread they can get the whole thread deleted, it could lead to mayhem. So far I am not aware of any punishment for the posters that caused my thread to be deleted.
Well you have to trust your moderators to take steps to prevent that mayhem don't you ?

The nature of these kind of forums (as I see it) is that there is turnover of posters and attitudes. Sooner or later, someone finds a way around the rules and so the moderators have to be flexible and adapt them as a new threat to the forum atmosphere reveals itself.

Regarding punishment for other posters, I'm not sure quite why you should be made aware of other posters' reprimands - again it comes down to trustsing your moderators to act accordingly. My original point was about your method of engaging forum moderators (which was an ill-advised choice if you really wanted constructive feedback) and not about particular moderator decisions.
Kart is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #94
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post

No, your posts would've been deleted. Just like the mods first deleted single posts on your thread before closing it. And maybe you would've received an infraction at some point.
But in the case of your thread, it wasn't just one poster trying to disrupt an ongoing discussion. I'm not saying that I liked those reactions to the OP but I also think that provoking people is maybe not exactly the best way to get them to talk about a subject that's important to you.
Do you mean I would have got an infraction because of what someone else posted on a thread I opened? Not sure I like that idea.

I really don't know what was posted in the thread. Peta Pan said that she was in Australia and when her day started the thread was full of offensive posts. But the problem is that I was then asleep and so was left completely in the dark (pun intended) as to what happened. However, the detective in me can figure out that if I was asleep, the offenders probably reside in Europe.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #95
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you mean I would have got an infraction because of what someone else posted on a thread I opened? Not sure I like that idea.
No, that part was a reply your question what would've happened if you had posted offensive stuff in the Enke thread.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #96
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
No, that part was a reply your question what would've happened if you had posted offensive stuff in the Enke thread.
Gotcha! And I previously overlooked your post above where you said that individual posts were deleted before the entire thread. I missed that.

That is kind of good news and bad news. It tells me that any thread that appears to be pro-American (and I am European) will probably be doomed to deletion due to the activity of the ''liberals'' who apparently think that stomping out opinions that do not appeal to them is what liberals do.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #97
country flag Joolz

Quote:
Gotcha! And I previously overlooked your post above where you said that individual posts were deleted before the entire thread. I missed that.

That is kind of good news and bad news. It tells me that any thread that appears to be pro-American (and I am European) will probably be doomed to deletion due to the activity of the ''liberals'' who apparently think that stomping out opinions that do not appeal to them is what liberals do.
So you're accusing others of making stupid generalisations and yet you're doing the same thing.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #98
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #99
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This talk of liberalism, namely as it pertains to MTF, is rooted in Orwellian logic. Those who fancy themselves liberals often are mere authoritarians whose ideology runs contrary to their words and actions.

Moreover, I think it has a great deal to do with an inability to formulate a cogent argument in support of such radical views. It's no secret that most of the conservatives on this forum (there were three of them the last time I took time to count) happen to be adults, whereas "liberals" tend to be trigger-happy children who have come to appreciate the intricacies of Karl Marx's Das Kapital through countless hours spent reading in their parents' cellar.

I wasn't at all being facetious when I alluded to the communist leanings of a certain moderator. I mean it, these people have no recourse but to delete and ban.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #100
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
This talk of liberalism, namely as it pertains to MTF, is rooted in Orwellian logic. Those who fancy themselves liberals often are mere authoritarians whose ideology runs contrary to their words and actions.
What you call "liberals" care much more about freedom of speech and democracy than you want to make people believe. Certain ideas, common in Europe in the 30's, are a danger to democracy though, but people who support these ideas play the victim card and say they are being persecuted when they actually practice intolerance and hatred.
And MTF is not "liberal", it's you who is from the extreme right wing, even though you prefer the softer word conservative.

Quote:
Moreover, I think it has a great deal to do with an inability to formulate a cogent argument in support of such radical views. It's no secret that most of the conservatives on this forum (there were three of them the last time I took time to count) happen to be adults, whereas "liberals" tend to be trigger-happy children who have come to appreciate the intricacies of Karl Marx's Das Kapital through countless hours spent reading in their parents' cellar.
I'm pretty sure you don't have an academic formation as solid as mine, and your try of making the "opposition" looks childish is, actually, very poor and childish.
Your obnoxious language is funny, though.

Quote:
I wasn't at all being facetious when I alluded to the communist leanings of a certain moderator. I mean it, these people have no recourse but to delete and ban.
Wrong, the fact I'm answering your post here show that you're, again, far from reality.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #101
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconek View Post
Certain ideas, common in Europe in the 30's, are a danger to democracy though, but people who support these ideas play the victim card and say they are being persecuted when they actually practice intolerance and hatred.
Your perverse logic is demonstrated by such a statement. In short, you intend to suggest that conservative ideology ought to be muzzled in the name of political correctness, which is merely a conduit through which to impose your will upon others.

Quote:
And MTF is not "liberal", it's you who is from the extreme right wing, even though you prefer the softer word conservative.
Political norms vary from country to country, therefore you come off as foolish in your attempt to tar my views as extreme.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you don't have an academic formation as solid as mine
Surely. After all, Stanford, NYU Law and Columbia Business do not offer academic opportunities comparable to those offered by elite institutes located in South America. Never mind years of catholic and boarding school, much less the time spent in three different countries.

Yes, between the two of us, the ruffian is I. You've proven my point by resorting to such infantile quarreling -- I am a husband and father, of what importance is your personal life to me ? I judge you only by the silly things which you are apt to spew on this forum, that is all.

Your academic "formation" is immaterial.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #102
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Quote:
Your perverse logic is demonstrated by such a statement. In short, you intend to suggest that conservative ideology ought to be muzzled in the name of political correctness, which is merely a conduit through which to impose your will upon others.
Since I don't think you have cognitive problems, I guess you're trying again to twist things. So typical.

Quote:
Political norms vary from country to country, therefore you come off as foolish in your attempt to tar my views as extreme.
You have a point, but you're still extreme right wing for American standards.

Quote:
Surely. After all, Stanford, NYU Law and Columbia Business do not offer academic opportunities comparable to those offered by elite institutes located in South America. Never mind years of catholic and boarding school, much less the time spent in three different countries.

Yes, between the two of us, the ruffian is I. You've proven my point by resorting to such infantile quarreling -- I am a husband and father, of what importance is your personal life to me ? I judge you only by the silly things which you are apt to spew on this forum, that is all.

Your academic "formation" is immaterial.
Wow, I'm so impressed.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #103
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:
You have a point, but you're still extreme right wing for American standards.
I'm a pro-choice Republican who grew up admiring John F. Kennedy. Are you kidding ?

Oh, that's right: opposition to terrorism and advocacy of fiscal conservatism denote a sort of right-wing extremism.

Quote:

Wow, I'm so impressed.
You should see the wife's résume -- even better.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #104
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
So you're accusing others of making stupid generalisations and yet you're doing the same thing.
Not sure what you mean. But if it is because I say that the people here who most often call for censorship of views different from their own would describe themselves as liberal, then I stand by that.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #105
country flag Joolz

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. But if it is because I say that the people here who most often call for censorship of views different from their own would describe themselves as liberal, then I stand by that.
It's about accusing others of having simply ruined your thread for the sake of being "liberal". (Whatever you mean by that.)
And never allowing for the possibility that maybe, there were different reasons for it.
I've tried to tell you (in my previous posts) what I think was behind it.
And that's really all I can do.

Last edited by Joolz : 11-19-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Closed Thread