Do The Mods Think They're Gods? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #46
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do The Mods Think They're Gods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I really don't think you got it. Your pointing out to me that ''pot calling the kettle black'' is a well-known non-racial phrase only makes sense if you really believed there was someone left in the English-speaking world that was uninformed enough not to be familiar with the phrase.
I am sure the day will come when some intellectually-challenged local councillor will insist on banning the phrase.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #47
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Bay Street? Bay Street Toronto? Isn't that like the Canadian Wall Street?
Yes and no. The stock exchange was originally on Bay Street and people still refer to the activity on Bay Street. And the street runs for miles, unlike the actual Wall Street.

Last edited by buddyholly : 11-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #48
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
But i felt i had to - because, as you say, there might NOT be someone who has heard of it - and you then effectively calling me a racist
And you are worried about appearing to be a racist in the eyes of someone who is not familiar with the phrase? In that case we would have to avoid all non-literal colloquialisms. That would indeed be a triumph for the PC crowd.

PETA once lobbied for New York to change the name of a small river - FISHKILL - on the grounds that it was demeaning to fish.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #49
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

we wouldn't need this kind of debate if the mods didn't effectively ban the regular politics thread via moving it to the chat threads section. buddyholly would probably have commented in that very thread. i do get the general rule (once a thread reaches a certain amount of posts it gets locked away) but i think it would be wise to revitalise the original.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #50
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
PETA once lobbied for New York to change the name of a small river - FISHKILL - on the grounds that it was demeaning to fish.
...which is ridiculous, obviously. thank god the non-pc crowd on the other hand never gets carried away.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #51
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Isn't kill German for stream? It is the immigrant German's that insulted the fish, not the real residents of new York.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #52
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And the point of the thread is getting sidetracked. What I would really like to see at this point is a moderator post that ''your thread was deleted by me because............."

If this place is to merit the description ''forum'' then the people with the power to stifle opinion should at least have the decency to point out their reasons for taking on the role of thought police.
It was me that deleted the thread and the reason I have not answered before now is when you posted this thread it was the middle of the night here, and I was sleeping and then I got up and spent the day at work...

The problem with the thread was not the content of the original post, it was that there were quite a number of posts after it that were inappropriate and it was heading in the direction of continuous racism and/or xenophobia.

This rule covers it... and although it says General Messages, the same rule covers the whole forum:
Quote:
(2) Please do not make discriminatory remarks. These include, for example, discriminatory remarks based on race, ethnicity, descent, sex, sexual preference, or any other degrading or negative remarks about a whole nation or group of individuals. Also be aware of that bringing up political topics, or referring to politics in general, is very often a timebomb waiting to explode. Such discussions have very little content for the intended subject of the "General Messages" tennis forum and could be subject to deletion by a moderator at any time if they're getting out of hand. (most common infraction types: Racism, Inappropriate language, Insulted other member, forum disruptions)
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #53
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peta Pan View Post
The problem with the thread was not the content of the original post, it was that there were quite a number of posts after it that were inappropriate and it was heading in the direction of continuous racism and/or xenophobia.

This rule covers it... and although it says General Messages, the same rule covers the whole forum:
I can not believe what you are saying. You are saying that if I see a thread that I do not like I can post an offensive remark in it and the entire thread will be removed. Thanks for the tip.

And now you are saying that the caution against political comments has been applied to non-tennis. In effect, political comments in a non-tennis thread can lead to the deletion of the thread.

I am sorry but it is decisions by people like you that have reduced this site to a joke.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #54
country flag Stensland

"kill" isn't german.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #55
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can not believe what you are saying. You are saying that if I see a thread that I do not like I can post an offensive remark in it and the entire thread will be removed. Thanks for the tip.

And now you are saying that the caution against political comments has been applied to non-tennis. In effect, political comments in a non-tennis thread can lead to the deletion of the thread.

I am sorry but it is decisions by people like you that have reduced this site to a joke.
I was talking about migmatites and granulites and you come with schist?

Her explanation was pretty clear, you didn't get it or you disagree. The problem were the racist and xenophobic posts, many of them. Many times the thread goes off-topic and in some cases, like happened to that thread, it goes dirty. Instead of deleting more than 70% posts in a thread, it's a better/easier solution to just delete it. It's not the mods' fault if it happens, neither it's the fault of most of MTFer's, that many times just don't post because a thread already went nuts.

It's not like political discussion isn't allowed, you can find many political threads in non-tennis. You can also find a thread about political correctness being boring in non-tennis.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
E)
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
And this is supposed to be any less comical than the other reasons listed ?

What about an Islamophobe writting "my advice is to shoot anyone wearing a turbant", like you did? In my opinion it's tragic, but maybe for you it's comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Is there a rule in MTF that forbids the opening of threads about delicate issues?
No.

Quote:
I don't percieve a thread about political correctness as being delicate.

I think the rule is that to be a moderator one has to be immature and uninformed, with delusions of grandeur.
Exactly.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #57
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconek View Post
I was talking about migmatites and granulites and you come with schist?

Her explanation was pretty clear, you didn't get it or you disagree. The problem were the racist and xenophobic posts, many of them. Many times the thread goes off-topic and in some cases, like happened to that thread, it goes dirty. Instead of deleting more than 70% posts in a thread, it's a better/easier solution to just delete it. It's not the mods' fault if it happens, neither it's the fault of most of MTFer's, that many times just don't post because a thread already went nuts.

It's not like political discussion isn't allowed, you can find many political threads in non-tennis. You can also find a thread about political correctness being boring in non-tennis.
Get serious. The thread was deleted because it was mine. If it had been a thread of a poster approved of by Peta Pan, there is no way the thread would have been deleted. And actually I never saw any of the posts, so I was just cut off and left wondering what I did. Any idea what action was taken against the offending posters? None, I bet. Peta pan has opened a can of worms by declaring that an offending post (in her eyes only) is sufficient to delete an entire thread. Moderators gone crazy in their desire to have MTF be a site for adolescent chitchat.

The rule that Peta Pan applied also refers to the use of crude language. Imagine if I was a moderator and decided to delete every thread with the word ''fuck.'' End of MTF in no time.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #58
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

I called Har-Tru a greasy spic but I wasn't infracted for it which surely would've made more sense than deleting the entire thread, if the obvious context of the post was missed.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #59
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

It's OK, you did not capitalise the word Spic and therefore were speaking in general terms. Something like that. Or maybe because the letters ''p'' and ''c'' constitute 50% of the word ''spic'' it passed PP's PC spellcheck with flying colours. Oops, can I make a reference to colour at this site?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #60
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

My posts wasn't infracted either although I thought they would.

It wasn't really an important thread topic to start with.