Germany's national goalkeeper Robert Enke dies at the age of 32 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #46
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germany's national goalkeeper Robert Enke dies at the age of 32

RIP
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #47
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiuS View Post
They're saying that the suicide was an excuse to just not play with Chile on Saturday. And it's unfair that the match had to be suspended.

"Why the next friendly match of Germany isn't suspended either? Does the mourn only last when they play with us? cowards!"
wtf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Beyond disgraceful.
Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoRios4Ever View Post
Simply pathetic! :retard:
Idiots, yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Enke had massive fear of failing, both in what he did as a job and regarding his family; he thought his dreams came true when he signed for Barca, he was introduced together with Van Gaal, in his first match Barca lost in a terrible way, and older players Like Frank De Boer blamed him, he was benched, never made it back; moved to Fenerbahce to Christoph Daum, he was no.1there before turkish legend Recber Rustu, again his team loses badly, and tempered turkish fans throw bottles and coins at Enke, he was lost, quits his contract there, moves back to Germany to Hannover, slowly recovers his form, becomes a top contender, then his little girl dies, Hamburger SV wanted to sign him in 2007 and he said he would not want to move away from the place where his daughter was buried; he was an outstanding goalkeeper and everyone liked him but no-one new he was having so many problems with depression;

Very sad
He had a HUGE fear of losing the adopted child (who is legally not yet adopted, but only a fosterchild) if the depressions would have been known publicly. Teresa said in the presser she had called the youth welfare office and they reassured her that wouldn't happen.
But another point that is important in my opinion is the public reaction: if the depressions would have been known publicly EVERYTHING would have been investigated by the press and every mistake he would have done would have been weighed doubled. There would have been surveys: "Is it possible to take a goalkeeper to South Africa as #1 who suffers from depressions?" And I'm not sure if Löw would have taken him to the WC as #1. I noticed in the last few weeks that Löw is very much influenced by the public opinion. When Robert couldn't play the quali-matches in September he said clearly: "Robert Enke is our #1." Then the healing of his physical problems took longer than everybody thought, René Adler held great in his club and tremendously vs Russia, the discussion started: "Shouldn't René Adler get at least a chance to fight for the #1 spot?" And what did Löw say: "We have 3 or 4 goalkeepers that fight for the #1 spot." Hmmmmm, we know today that Robert consulted his psychiatrist again in the beginning of October, when this discussion started. I'm not sure that Löw would have taken him to South Africa if 50 million people would have said: "No, it's not good to take him to the WC", 20 million "Yes, take him to the WC though" and 10 million: "I don't care, I don't follow football anyway."

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #48
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

this is the saddest all-around story i've heard this year. i so feel for his wife and his parents/in-law.

nonetheless on some level i find the suicide fairly despicable. he's survived by his wife who's been through the same kind of emotional stress he's been through when their daughter died. she apparently devoted his life to him, travelling across europe, driving him to his practise sessions, caring for him in every possible way. then they adopt a new child - and he kills himself. no matter how hard life was on him, get your fucking act together for your family, man! it's not all about you! the same goes for the two train conductors. jump off a bridge or something instead of taking down two more lives with you. these guys are traumatised forever. after all, again, "on some level" the only winner is enke himself, the others have lost pretty much everything.
Stensland is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #49
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Agree Rainer but we don't know about the train drivers. I know for a fact that, as part of their training, they receive psychological lessons warning them there is a chance this stuff will happen to them at some point, and that they mustn't feel guilty. Not that it stops them from being traumatised of course, but it's not as if they don't know it can happen.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #50
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree Rainer but we don't know about the train drivers. I know for a fact that, as part of their training, they receive psychological lessons warning them there is a chance this stuff will happen to them at some point, and that they mustn't feel guilty. Not that it stops them from being traumatised of course, but it's not as if they don't know it can happen.
I have an aunty who's husband was a train driver that hit someone in a suicide and it did indeed make him go crazy and scarred him for life. I assume some would cope better than others but it's obviously horrendous for them all. The train drivers are always the first ones I think of in a situation like this, I always get so mad when people think only of themselves to commit a suicide that is going to involve someone else.

RIP to Robert though, a tragic story. Depression is a terrible, terrible thing and I hope he has found some peace now. Condolences to his wife and family.
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #51
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiuS View Post
They're saying that the suicide was an excuse to just not play with Chile on Saturday. And it's unfair that the match had to be suspended.

"Why the next friendly match of Germany isn't suspended either? Does the mourn only last when they play with us? cowards!"
and this! This is just disgusting
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #52
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh come off it man. training my balls. put yourself in that position dude.

no amount of bollocks psychology will ever prepare you for that.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #53
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend from a family of train drivers. She lives in terror that someone would throw himself in front of her train. All her colleagues that have lived through that experience were truly fucked-up for years if not forever, the minimum they had to leave the job.

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #54
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
this is the saddest all-around story i've heard this year. i so feel for his wife and his parents/in-law.

nonetheless on some level i find the suicide fairly despicable. he's survived by his wife who's been through the same kind of emotional stress he's been through when their daughter died. she apparently devoted his life to him, travelling across europe, driving him to his practise sessions, caring for him in every possible way. then they adopt a new child - and he kills himself. no matter how hard life was on him, get your fucking act together for your family, man! it's not all about you!
Goodness, I expect better posts from you. Suicide is about as irrational as it gets, no amount of reasoning, simplistic reasoning in this case, would help. What he needed was medication to restore the chemical balance in his brain. Nothing else would have worked.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #55
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Goodness, I expect better posts from you. Suicide is about as irrational as it gets, no amount of reasoning, simplistic reasoning in this case, would help. What he needed was medication to restore the chemical balance in his brain. Nothing else would have worked.
Not always, suicide can be a perfectly reasoned decision and as rational or irrational as any other human deed. Suicide UTI of depression isn't reasoned though and yes, only meds and therapy can help in that case.

Sak Noel
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #56
country flag Jōris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
Not always, suicide can be a perfectly reasoned decision and as rational or irrational as any other human deed. Suicide UTI of depression isn't reasoned though and yes, only meds and therapy can help in that case.
I disagree. The thought and even the preparation of suicide can be rational. But the second step, the actual act, goes against the core of our nature, as in self preservation.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #57
country flag JolánGagó

Quote:
I disagree. The thought and even the preparation of suicide can be rational. But the second step, the actual act, goes against the core of our nature, as in self preservation.
I can't agree with smth so often happening being classified as unnatural.

Sak Noel
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #58
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah i've heard this "explanation" before - but i don't accept it. depressions and suicide cannot be viewed as the ultimate excuse for anything. that way out is just too easy. regarding the train drivers, apparently enke had been thinking about suicide for some time, it would've been no big deal for him to end his life in a different way if he wanted to. it's not like he was driving in his car tuesday afternoon and it suddenly hit him, like a kurzschlussreaktion. if you're able to make plans beforehand, you're able to make plans how to do it as well, sorry.
Stensland is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #59
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
oh come off it man. training my balls. put yourself in that position dude.

no amount of bollocks psychology will ever prepare you for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolánGagó View Post
I have a friend from a family of train drivers. She lives in terror that someone would throw himself in front of her train. All her colleagues that have lived through that experience were truly fucked-up for years if not forever, the minimum they had to leave the job.
OK...

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #60
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

enke probably knew he would kill himself just 2 days after his last match when he went to his fans afterwards.

afterall his suicide isn't that much of a surprise after what i read about him saying in interviews over the last years.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote