*possible to make a good TENNIS-themed MOVIE? [Wimbledon was a flop] - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default *possible to make a good TENNIS-themed MOVIE? [Wimbledon was a flop]

I`ve seen 2 tennis-themed movies: Wimbledon [starring Kirsten Dunst] and Players [starring Ali McGraw], and both of them were quite dull flops
~~~
In the wake of Agassi`s tell-all admissions about his drug use & wig use in his biography i thought his life would be a good basis for a movie. Actually i already thought his crazy rollercoaster career would make a good movie ever since he completed the calendar slam in 1999, and his book reminded me why i thought so~~.
So a movie about Agassi`s life would be a serious bio-pic type of movie.

Another idea i had was a Will Ferrel style tennis comedy flick, similar to the way they took the piss out of figure skating in Blades of Glory, or car racing in Taladeega Nights. I imagined that Will Ferrel is too old & fat to play a current tennis player, so he could play someone on the seniors tour, or his character could be as a crazy overbearing father-coach type figure to a younger comedian player.

If they do make another tennis-themed movie i hope its not just set at Wimbledon [as Wimbledon & Players were]. Hopefully the movie could follow them throughout the year to the various locations. There would be a lot of opportunities for comedy, such as stupid journalist questions, crazy fanboy/fangirl encounters, weird love triangle affairs [think Verdasco-Ivanovic-Wozniaki], or crazy post final ceremonies [think Dick Enberg not allowing Delpo to speak Spanish, or the Chinese lady flirting with Djoko in Beijing]..

I want to see a good tennis movie, and i think it could help with the popularity of the sport

Opinions, suggestions - what do you think
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *possible to make a good TENNIS-themed MOVIE? [Wimbledon was a flop]

i reckon a proper behind the scenes documentery/movie would be good.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *possible to make a good TENNIS-themed MOVIE? [Wimbledon was a flop]

Watch Match Point and Strangers on a Train.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Watch Match Point and Strangers on a Train.
I saw Match Point, sure i liked seeing Scarlett Johannson`s cleavage as much as the next bloke, but i`d hardly call it a tennis-movie [less than 5 mins tennis in there].

Strangers on a Train- don`t know that one, so its worth checking out
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #5

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post
I saw Match Point, sure i liked seeing Scarlett Johannson`s cleavage as much as the next bloke, but i`d hardly call it a tennis-movie [less than 5 mins tennis in there].

One of Hitchcocks best movies.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
country flag kyleskywalker007

kyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well, you get to see 5 minutes of tennis, but the theme beyond the movie is related to tennis. I mean, I don't remember the phrase now, but they compared a let cord with chance. Just a millimeter more or less could alter everything. And, then ending of the movie *spoiler alert* calls for that.

All in all, i would say it takes the fundamentals of tennis. that is better than a movie "about" tennis, which, as proved by "Wimbledon", are hard to pull off. You'll never get the thrill of tennis out of mere actors...

AO '04 '06 '07 '10
RG '09
Wimby '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '09 '12
USO '04 '05 '06 '07 '08
WTF ´03 ´04 ´06 ´07 ´10 ´11

PonyBoy '09 US Open Champion
kyleskywalker007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:

Oh, amd why put the actual sporting action in a movie? That has never worked for any sport movie I've seen as it could never beat the potential drama of a live match.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
country flag CmonAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleskywalker007 View Post
Well, you get to see 5 minutes of tennis, but the theme beyond the movie is related to tennis. I mean, I don't remember the phrase now, but they compared a let cord with chance. Just a millimeter more or less could alter everything. And, then ending of the movie *spoiler alert* calls for that.

All in all, i would say it takes the fundamentals of tennis. that is better than a movie "about" tennis, which, as proved by "Wimbledon", are hard to pull off. You'll never get the thrill of tennis out of mere actors...
You might be right, though as i mentioned their have been successful movies made about other sports [baseball, soccer, car racing, figure skating, golf], but so far the movies about tennis have been very disappointing. I still think with a good concept, the right actors, and maybe some comedy [not like Wimbledon but more like the Will Ferrel variety] there`s an opportunity to make a much better tennis movie
Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
country flag kyleskywalker007

kyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond reputekyleskywalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, amd why put the actual sporting action in a movie? That has never worked for any sport movie I've seen as it could never beat the potential drama of a live match.
You'll never get the drama nor the quality. Besides,the fact that they somehow show faces instead of showing how they are properly hitting the ball is kinda distracting. I mean, you can really tell they are not hitting the ball.

AO '04 '06 '07 '10
RG '09
Wimby '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '09 '12
USO '04 '05 '06 '07 '08
WTF ´03 ´04 ´06 ´07 ´10 ´11

PonyBoy '09 US Open Champion
kyleskywalker007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
country flag CmonAussie

Quote:
I didn`t say it was necessary to have much of the actual sporting action.. Tennis is also intersting behind the scenes [as i mentioned in my first post]. A lot of people followed Agassi`s tennis career even though they had no real interest in tennis as a sport, yet Agassi managed to interest them..!

The example you mentioned about Match Point was a poor one, that was not a movie about tennis at all. Match Point and the let cord metaphor was just a gimmick, it was really about deception and having an affair with Scarelet Johannson
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
country flag CmonAussie

Luke Wilson was pretty funny doing his Borg parody in the Royal Tennenbaums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Zvf5oxBQM
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone here seen 'Hoop Dreams'. It is fantasic! It is a documentary filmed over several years that follows two promising basketballers in USA from pre/early teens to young adults. I would love for a similar film to be made that follows two/three very promising 10/11 year olds to 19/20 year olds.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, tennis films will always be shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reality of tennis is better than any movie can make it out to be.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I think those scenes where guys are literally jumping from side to side and hitting forehand winners are the most embarrassing scenes in Cinema history. Remember that scene with...was it Murphy Jensen in Wimbledon?
Quote:
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote