Needing Advice For A Cross-Court Forehand - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
country flag jyy82993

jyy82993 is on a distinguished road
Default Needing Advice For A Cross-Court Forehand

When I used to use a semi-western grip I could easily hit this shot along with a down-the-line forehand but ever since I have switched to the eastern grip I just can't seem to hit those cross-court shots anymore. I don't know if it's my footing, my form or my lack of spin on the ball but when I try to go for the shot it either goes to the middle or just about a little less than halfway on the left side of the court where the cross court shot should go. I'm just not getting the angle that I want. My down-the-line forehand with my eastern grip is flawless and easily executed though. Any suggestions or tips will do. I'm up for trying anything. Oh yeah, I'm right-handed.
jyy82993 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needing Advice For A Cross-Court Forehand

Hmmm, my advice would be to really commit to the shot, like it sounds like you do with the down the line option. By this I mean simply push the racquet through in the direction you want to hit the ball, with conviction.

Obviously you'll want to add more topspin to this shot but I feel it becomes to tempting for amateurs to flick this shot instead of really committing - I often make this mistake myself if I'm tired or lose concentration, and it always ends up short and gets punished by a good opponent. Just really hit through it, and you'll find that great angle with penetration and have your opponent scrambling.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needing Advice For A Cross-Court Forehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyy82993 View Post
When I used to use a semi-western grip I could easily hit this shot along with a down-the-line forehand but ever since I have switched to the eastern grip I just can't seem to hit those cross-court shots anymore. I don't know if it's my footing, my form or my lack of spin on the ball but when I try to go for the shot it either goes to the middle or just about a little less than halfway on the left side of the court where the cross court shot should go. I'm just not getting the angle that I want. My down-the-line forehand with my eastern grip is flawless and easily executed though. Any suggestions or tips will do. I'm up for trying anything. Oh yeah, I'm right-handed.
It is all about the timing and hitting it more inside your zone to create a natural angle for yourself. Unless the ball is just sitting there, I honestly wouldn't try to "windmill" the ball by hitting it so far away from you unless you have a lot of wrist action to compensate.

When practicing or warming up, just take it slow and almost push it cross court by hitting it early and making contact inside the racket. Little by little should feel more and more natural. Other than that, you need to work on using your wrist because it helps A LOT especially with low balls.