Sampras defeated Agassi 3:6, 6:3, 10:8 in Macau exhibition - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
country flag Greg-Pete fan

Greg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sampras defeated Agassi 3:6, 6:3, 10:8 in Macau exhibition

MACAU — Pete Sampras edged by Andre Agassi in three sets on Sunday as the two retired American tennis greats revisited one of the sport's greatest rivalries.

The 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 win in this southern Chinese gambling enclave was the first time the two had played since Sampras won in the 2002 U.S. Open final for his then-record 14th Grand Slam.

The fast indoor surface at The Venetian Macao arena favored Sampras' attacking style, but it was Agassi who came out packing more heat in his serve, showing no signs of the bad back that required four injections during his final tournament, the 2006 U.S. Open. But Sampras, who beat Roger Federer at the same venue in an exhibition two years ago, recovered, serving an ace and using a delicate pickup volley to secure the second set.

He continued his strong form into the super tiebreaker, overwhelming Agassi with his powerful serve. Trailing 9-6, Agassi saved two match points — the second with a down-the-line backhand winner — but Sampras served out the match with another ace.

"Thanks for the exercise," Agassi told Sampras after the match.

The two Americans captivated fans in the 1990s and early 2000s with their contrasting styles and personalities. The reserved Sampras was known for his serve and crafty volleys; the long-haired, neon-wearing Agassi wore down opponents with accurate returns and counter-punching.

Sampras led their head-to-head 20 to 14, including 4 to 1 in Grand Slam finals, the last being Sampras' four-set victory in the 2002 U.S. Open final.

The two former No. 1s have 124 career titles and 22 Grand Slams between them — Agassi has eight and Sampras 14. Agassi is one of only six men to have won all four majors and also won Olympic gold in Atlanta in 1996. Sampras' 14 Slams was a record until Federer won Wimbledon this year, bringing the Swiss star's tally to 15.

Source:
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/175541/s...cau-exhibition

Pete Still better than Andre Very tough match

ANDRE AGASSI - legendary Pete`s opponent

ROGER FEDERER - great champion, but...

SAMPRAS WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN FEDERER

Do you miss 1990s tennis? Please look here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=96045
Greg-Pete fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #2

Greg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras defeated Agassi 3:6, 6:3, 10:8 in Macau exhibition

MACAU -- Pete Sampras edged Andre Agassi in three sets Sunday as the two retired American tennis greats revisited one of the sport's greatest rivalries.

The 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 win in this southern Chinese gambling enclave was the first time the two had played since Sampras won in the 2002 U.S. Open final for his then-record 14th Grand Slam.

The fast indoor surface at the Venetian Macao arena favored Sampras' attacking style, but it was Agassi who came out strong in the first set. He showed no signs of the bad back that required four injections during his final tournament, the 2006 U.S. Open.

"Somehow when you see Pete, it all comes back to you pretty quickly," Agassi said. "I just go, 'Well, I don't really have much of a choice here.' It's just nice to be so familiar with somebody's game."

Sampras, who beat Roger Federer at the same venue in an exhibition two years ago, bounced back in the second set, serving an ace and using a delicate pickup volley to draw even.

He continued to have the advantage in the super tiebreaker, overwhelming Agassi with a powerful serve. Trailing 9-6, Agassi saved two match points -- the second with a down-the-line backhand winner -- but Sampras served out the match with another ace.

"Andre just hits the ball so cleanly, even after being retired for three years. The pace of his shots was very heavy," Sampras said, noting Agassi served more aces than he did.

"How many times does that happen?" Agassi joked.

The two Americans captivated fans in the 1990s and early 2000s with their contrasting styles and personalities. Sampras led their head-to-head series 20 to 14, including 4 to 1 in Grand Slam finals.

"Pete's hands are the same as they've always been," Agassi said. "He has great feel for the ball. He surprised me with the number of pickups he made out there. It was like it just came very naturally."

Source:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=4593168

Do you miss 1990s tennis? Please look here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=96045
Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

Sampras beats Agassi in Macao... twice!

Pete Sampras put one over his old nemesis Andre Agassi, beating the 8-time Grand Slam champion in a final set match tiebreak at the Venetian Macao Tennis Showdown 2009. In a close affair that thrilled the 11,000 strong crowd at the CotaiArena today, Sampras nicked the showpiece event 3-6, 6-3, 10-8.

The match was preceded by a 45-minute timed encounter between junior no.1 Yuki Bhambri and America's leading junior Ryan Harrison. Bhambri was a little fortunate to win that match with the set tied at 5-5, and the Indian ahead 15-0 in the game when the match was timed out.

The kids returned on court to partner their heroes in a doubles exhibition later, which Pete and Yuki won 7-5.

Speaking after the match Andre said, "It was a great afternoon. Playing in front of 11,000 enthusiastic fans was fantastic and there was real energy. It was a pleasure competing against Pete. It's always a joy to test your skills and see where you are at, no matter where you are in life.

"Pete's feel for the ball is unparalleled and his movement is still good enough that you can't be careful with the shots you hit against him.

"It brought back a lot of old memories. It's great when you can go out and play against someone whose game you are really familiar with. It all came flooding back to me on court, including the ace Pete did at the end (on match point)."

Sampras was lavish in his praise for his old foe, "Andre still hits the ball very clean and very heavy. His serving was great today and I think he even out-aced me. He's a great player with a great return of serve, and it just came down to a couple of points in the (tie) breaker. It was great tennis, a great crowd and hopefully we'll do it again.

"Back in the day, Andre was one of those players where if you weren't playing your best, you're going to lose. Some of the other guys I could beat them even when I wasn't playing me best, but not Andre."

Match Results:

Yuki Bhambri (IND) def. Ryan Harrison (USA) 5-5 15-0
Pete Sampras (USA) def. Andre Agassi (USA) 3-6 6-3 10-8
P. Sampras (USA) & Y. Bhambri (IND) def. A. Agassi (USA) & R. Harrison (USA) 7-5

And two photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Sampras and Agassi share a joke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (23.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #5

Another photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (70.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (54.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (50.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (47.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles and pics, Greg!

I watched Agassi's Outback Championship vs Todd Martin yesterday, (the match was on Oct 6) and Agassi is still capable of stunning returns although he's about 2 steps slower than he used to be.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be waiting patiently for a clip of this match. Nice to see these two are still into it.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #8

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (113.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (103.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (77.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (47.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (42.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (33.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (33.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (15.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #9

Another 10 photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (42.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (53.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (22.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (26.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (26.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (12.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 25.jpg (30.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (12.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 27.jpg (14.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #10

Another part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 30.jpg (24.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 31.jpg (17.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (40.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (37.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (132.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Greg, i have watched the match a bit, Pete still has his skills and power and as always, he beat old Agassi again

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #12

Where have you watched mimi?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan View Post
Where have you watched mimi?
on paid cable tv, we have live coverage

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
I'll be waiting patiently for a clip of this match. Nice to see these two are still into it.
Here's one:

There are also a couple of 30 second long clips. Not anything that interesting in them.

Thanks for the pics by the way Greg!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #15
country flag Mimi

thank you Raging