Need a bit of feedback about my rackets... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
country flag majordude

majordude is on a distinguished road
Question Need a bit of feedback about my rackets...

I have a Wilson Zen 103 Team ($79) and a Wilson Four 105 ($99).

I bought the Zen pre-strung from Sports Authority and the Four from a pro tennis shop. The Zen has Wilson Sensation 16 string but I don't know the tension. The Four has some unmarked blue string, thinner than the Wilson, and the tension is 60.

While I don't have a lot of experience I think the Four has more power. I mean, it feels the same when I hit the ball against a handball wall, but it seems the ball bounces back a good 5' to 10' farther.

If this is true, could this be because of the extra 2" or would it be the string? Or is it all in my mind?

If 2" doesn't mean jack then maybe I should restring the Zen? Frankly, I think it looks like a better racket.

I played with my wife's Prince O3 110 and I can tell that has more power. But 103 to 105?
majordude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a bit of feedback about my rackets...

the wilson k4 is a more powerful racket; it not only has a larger headsize but is also lighter and stiffer. if you prefer the zen as a racket but want the same power you have from the k4, then just restring the zen at a lower tension
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
country flag majordude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
the wilson k4 is a more powerful racket; it not only has a larger headsize but is also lighter and stiffer. if you prefer the zen as a racket but want the same power you have from the k4, then just restring the zen at a lower tension
LOWER tension? I thought lower meant more control but higher meant more power.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

lower tension gives more of a trampoline effect and thus more power. tighter gives more control
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
country flag majordude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
lower tension gives more of a trampoline effect and thus more power. tighter gives more control
Hmmm. I'll take your word for it but that seems counter intuitive to me.

So instead of 60, take it down to 55?

Should I get one of those power strings like Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour or Luxolon Alu Power?

(By the way, I seem to play very flat. I tend to hit the ball spot on without much spin or sideways sheer... I don't know if that's a learned skill or something that comes naturally.)

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey man Jazar is right a high tension puts more control.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
country flag majordude

Yeah, I looked it up.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/StringReference.html

Any advice on the string and tension? 55?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
country flag jazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordude View Post
So instead of 60, take it down to 55?

Should I get one of those power strings like Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour or Luxolon Alu Power?

(By the way, I seem to play very flat. I tend to hit the ball spot on without much spin or sideways sheer... I don't know if that's a learned skill or something that comes naturally.)

Thanks for your help!
personally, i think the combination of your racket and flat hitting isnt really suitied to a string like babolat pht or luxilon in your racket. those strings are good for people who either break strings frequently or who hit with a lot of power and spin. with your racket and hitting style you may find that you lack control. if you are desperate to use one of them then go for a hybrid, and put a string like babolat xcel or addiction on the crosses.

with regards to tension dropping it to a couple of pounds below what you have in your other racket should suffice
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
country flag majordude

Thanks jazar. I'm learning as I go. I don't know anyone in my area who has a lot of experience with these things.

I could care less about brand names and stuff. What string would you use (I'm not desperate for either of those two brands).

I'm looking to get more power out of the Zen.

By the way, since I have your attention, is there a racket I should have bought instead of these two?

Last edited by majordude : 10-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
country flag jazar

if you're looking for more power then i would go for either a synthetic gut or a multifilament string, both of which are more elasticated and thus more powerful than strings like luxilon. i dont know what strings you have available to you, but some common ones i would look at are wilson sensation or nxt, tecnifibre x1 biphase, babolat xcel or addiction, prince syn gut multifilament, pacific spacepower.

for the racket there are always similar rackets from other brands. both the zen team and k4 are decent rackets for beginner/intermediate players. they are pretty light and manouvrable and the headsize isnt too large. you cant really go wrong with them