Andre Agassi autobiography "Open" - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #196
country flag sydfd

sydfd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Andre Agassi autobiography "Open"

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/114518-page.html

OPEN won best autobiography in the British Sports Book Awards
sydfd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #197
country flag tanaja

tanaja is on a distinguished road

Here we go again. OMG, OMG! I hope this sort of things won't happen all the time.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...assi-book.html

Shields: 'I never approved Agassi book'

Brooke Shields has said that she did not give her approval to her ex-husband Andre Agassi autobiography Open.

In last year's book, former tennis star Agassi confessed to past use of cystal meth and suggested that he should not have married Shields.

When asked if she had been sent a copy for approval, Shields told Easy Living: "No, he made me sit in a room with his ghost writer and read what his writer had written.

"And of course he wouldn't change anything I remembered differently, so I was like, why did I read it then? So you can tell everybody, 'She read it'? Which means, 'She's put her stamp of approval on it?'"

She added: "I didn't put my stamp of approval on anything. It wasn't what I remembered. You also can't write a book and ask for people's sympathy, it just doesn't work like that.

"I mean, I don't know why he wrote the book. I'm not sure he's gotten the reaction he hoped for."

Last edited by tanaja : 04-09-2010 at 01:38 PM.
tanaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #198
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute

she is an actress?
what could she say...
Stephan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #199
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

He "made" her sit in a room and read it? The only way he could "make" her read it was to keep her forceably confined. And seeing as she never pressed legal charges against him - I seriously doubt he MADE her read it. Also, in all the interview he gave I never heard him say he had Brooke's "stamp of approval". He did say she read it and they remembered different things differently - like most ex's do.

Apparently Brooke's writing a book of her own - I guess she wants to stir up some publicity for it.
llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #200
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute

After Brooke,...

Steffi can also come to "arena"...
if she likes, can also write a book,
f.e. "10 years Open with Agassi" ...

can she, ? what do you thing, fans?
Stephan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #201
country flag tanaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
Steffi can also write a book,
f.e. "10 years Open with Agassi" ...

can she, ?
Andre said, it would have never happened.
So... it's probably not her style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Also, in all the interview he gave I never heard him say he had Brooke's "stamp of approval". He did say she read it and they remembered different things differently - like most ex's do..
I saw articles (even headlines) about her approval. Never saw his direct quote though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Apparently Brooke's writing a book of her own - I guess she wants to stir up some publicity for it.
I agree about publicity. I wonder, when will she publish the book. This year, next year?
She dated so many public personalities (Andre, Michael Jackson, Liam Neeson, even John Kennedy jr. etc). A lot of material for the book...

BTW, Kathy Griffin's book mentioned that Brooke's current husband was visiting the Suddenly Susan set all the time when she was still married. Were there articles about rumors of an affair? Was there an affair when she was married to Andre?

Last edited by tanaja : 04-10-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #202
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaja View Post
BTW, Kathy Griffin's book mentioned that Brooke's current husband was visiting the Suddenly Susan set all the time when she was still married. Were there articles about rumors of an affair? Was there an affair when she was married to Andre?
Mike Agassi says the same thing in his book The Agassi Story. That he had heard "rumours". Here is the quote: "Andre never told us what had happened, why he'd wanted a divorce, why he'd wanted it so quickly. I had a few suspicions; at my job, I occasionally heard things about Brooke that weren't exactly favorable, but I never passed those stories along to Andre."
Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #203
country flag juliehardwick

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute

1) Shields in an interview in Good Houskeeping last month - waved off criticism of the book, spoke fondly of her ex and said he was the adult in their relationship. Can't decide what she thinks apparently.

2) Agassi NEVER said he had her stamp of approval. He said repeatedly from the first interview in People that they remembered the same events, but had different interpretations of what was going on then - which is apparently what she thinks. She wants his book to be from her side?

3) I noticed the omission of her dating before they split too - either he didn't know (?) or judged it wasn't important from his view or didn't want to blame her...

I thought from first reading it that she came out of pretty well - all this time the press had been blaming her for the collapse to 141, but he makes abundantly clear in the book that he was his own basket case. She wasn't helping but she didn't cause it.

I see her in gossip columns still out every night (without husband often and always without children) constantly having her photo taken and I'd judge she's the same and you can see why he's far happy with the family first wife he has now....
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #204
country flag llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
1) Shields in an interview in Good Houskeeping last month - waved off criticism of the book, spoke fondly of her ex and said he was the adult in their relationship. Can't decide what she thinks apparently

I read the same interview. What struck me in that was that she was talking about her daughter wanting her to be "class mom" and she replied "you've got a classy mom instead". Wow! Not something a 6 year old really wants to hear! I never had any negative feelings about Shields until she wrote her first book about post-partum depression - which was very courageous of her. I applauded her for coming out and telling off Tom Cruise when he criticized her for taking medication - then the next thing you hear is he's apologized and she's off to his wedding in Italy. I don't know - if someone publically criticized me like that I don't think I'd be anxious to go to his wedding, whether he apologized or not. She always seems to be seeking the limelight.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #205
country flag tanaja

Llama and Julie thanks a lot for clearing things up for me.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #206
country flag tanaja

SHIELDS LEARNED FROM AGASSI MARRIAGE MISTAKES

2010-04-21 17:27:2

BROOKE SHIELDS is convinced her failed marriage to tennis ace ANDRE AGASS I helped her forge a long and happy union with her current husband - beca use she learned from her previous marital mistakes.
The actress dated the sports star for four years before they wed in 199 7. The marriage ended in divorce and Shields went on to settle down with TV writer Chris Henchy.
They have two children together and recently celebrated their ninth wed ding anniversary (04Apr10).
And the beauty is sure her past problems have helped make their marriag e work.
Shields tells Britain's Easy Living magazine, "I married Chris for all the right reasons and there was no fear. Those are two things I think did not happen with my first marriage. I was afraid that if he (Agassi) left me, or if I didn't have him in my life, everything was going to crumble.
"I had a safety net. I don't think that was the healthiest way to go in to a marriage for me. I went into this marriage (with Henchy) with a trem endous amount of freedom. Those are things I recognised and knew that I w anted for the rest of my life."
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #207
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading Agassi book, and I must say I liked him more before I red it. I don´t know what really happened in their marriage, and it´s none of my business, but I couldn´t help but noticing that Agassi blames Shields for pretty much everything that went wrong, and he also takes sime real cheap and unnecessary shots at her, hardly classy behavior.

And that is actually a reoccurring theme in the book. He comes out as this open, honest guy who´s not afraid to admit his mistakes and shortcomings. But still, it seems like there always someone to blame when things go wrong. Whether it´s his dad, who pushed him too hard, or Bollettieri, who did the same. Or Shields, who was so wrong to him, and didn´t understand him at all, but still he proposed to her. Or the media, who was responsible for his image and, consequently, his pressure to wear the wig. Also, he takes a couple of cheap shots at Sampras, and the way he describes some of his opponents ( like Jan Siemerink´s game, for example, when he calls him the garbage man, because his forehand, backhand and serve are crappy) is classless.

All in all, an entertaining book, but doesn´t portrait Agassi as the great man he probably would have wanted himself.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #208

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think he "blamed" anyone.

On Shields in particular, I didn't read it as him blaming her. He was making a terrific mess on his own, and when I read that section i thought "oh that's the end of that as it turns out totally wrong media narrative that she ruined his tennis." Nobody will ever blame her for that again.

She said (see above) she married him for all the wrong reasons. He certainly says he married her for the wrong reasons. They seem to agree each erred in that decision...

He doesn't blame her for the crystal meth, the depression or any of that ...

I don't think he had any intention of portraying himself as a great man. He wouldn't have written it if he had and in fact I think he says one thing that drove him crazy in the latter years was the press, having villified him, now writing about him as if he was perfect. Why write a book if it's a neat tidy picture of a life that hasn't been neat or tidy?

Shields always struck me as very superificial - I remember when they got engaged and she called her pr person to announce it before they got home. Even then it struck me as weird as hell. Their whole life together was a constant media performance of perfection that bore no resemblance (we see now) to what was going on. That continued long after him - remember the perfectly happy new mom cover story on People magazine? Then she writes a memoir that she had terrible postpartum depression. So that charade for People?
She seems all about a kind of facile performance for the public even now, and she'll do anything to get her photo in the press. Ugh.

Never any of that with his current wife from the start and he seems far happier with that.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #209

Refreshingly rational take on the book from a former crystal meth user...

http://toddcurl.blogspot.com/2010/04...nnis-meth.html
Old 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #210
country flag llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
I just finished reading Agassi book, and I must say I liked him more before I red it. I don´t know what really happened in their marriage, and it´s none of my business, but I couldn´t help but noticing that Agassi blames Shields for pretty much everything that went wrong, and he also takes sime real cheap and unnecessary shots at her, hardly classy behavior.

And that is actually a reoccurring theme in the book. He comes out as this open, honest guy who´s not afraid to admit his mistakes and shortcomings. But still, it seems like there always someone to blame when things go wrong. Whether it´s his dad, who pushed him too hard, or Bollettieri, who did the same. Or Shields, who was so wrong to him, and didn´t understand him at all, but still he proposed to her. Or the media, who was responsible for his image and, consequently, his pressure to wear the wig. Also, he takes a couple of cheap shots at Sampras, and the way he describes some of his opponents ( like Jan Siemerink´s game, for example, when he calls him the garbage man, because his forehand, backhand and serve are crappy) is classless.

All in all, an entertaining book, but doesn´t portrait Agassi as the great man he probably would have wanted himself.
I admit I'm an Agassi fan. Ironically I didn't really know much about him before 2001, so I only followed the end of his career. It wasn't the tennis that made me a fan - it was his philanthropy. I admire his charitable works and that's what caused me to become interested. So, fairly, I may be biased in the other direction.

I honestly think there is more behind the divorce from Brooke Shields, than what has been mentioned. In both his father's book and Kathy Griffin's they intimate that Shields' present husband was in the picture before she and Agassi separated. Maybe they had an agreement to divorce quickly and quietly without any mention that he might have been on the scene. His father says they've never asked about the divorce, but were shocked how quickly he wanted it done.

As for blaming others- I see the stories of his father's control in a whole different light. His father admits that he was fanatical. That he drilled him mercilessly - and would do it again - to make him a champion. Yet, today, Agassi has a good relationship with his father and has said many times that he always knew his father loved him. I don't know many people who could have dealt with something like that and still forgive and maintain a close relationship with their parent.

I find that many people "don't like" the Agassi in the book. How dare he say he hates tennis! How dare he say that he does hold grudges! How dare he be human - and admit it. He says this book was an atonement for the many mistakes of his life and he wanted the truth to come out. That shows a lot of guts to me. You say "it doesn't portrait (portray) Agassi as the great man he would have wanted himself". I don't think he had any intention of wanting to look like a "great man". I think he wanted to say to the world - "hey, here I am. Just a guy. I made mistakes. I was thrust into a crazy life I never wanted. I'm sorry your illusions are shattered, but this is who I was and who I am now; just someone trying to be a better person."