Andre Agassi autobiography "Open" - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #151
country flag juliehardwick

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre Agassi autobiography "Open"

* "I'm not sure what you mean. When he mouthed out "watch this" to Bollettieri, he clearly knew what he was doing before Jaite served and it wasn't just a split second reaction!

Are you doubting that he actually said "watch this"?"

No - I'm doubting that what you assume is necessarily correct. That's why I gave the Becker and Brooke example - saw several comments from people who saw the match that it wasn't true they were sure because they were watching (like you). But then Becker said it was true. Impossible to tell, and no reason to think an observer's version is more accurate than a participant's - especially when participant recounting later in purportedly truthful matter.

* I'm ancient myself. First got into tennis in the 1970s (Evert and Connors era), so I've been a very close observer of pro tennis for a long time. I saw Graf play when she was 13 and she's 40. I recall the Lendl and McEnroe generated buzz about Agassi from the summer of 1986. I never was a fan of his in the 90s - I thought he was an idiot, and I was happy in the book to see him self-identify as such so candidly. (Even while offering an explanation.)

* There are 1000s of specific things I can recall that I thought might be in the book that aren't - the endless exos, casual flings (not as many as Tiger hopefully), all over shaving, traveling with two babies, many things about his life with Graf which is very little revealed here etc. But no book can tell it all, and his explanation is that his basis for selection was things that were formative for him. I don't think the things left out render it a less plausible account of how he experienced the longtime chaos of his life. I think he has been honest about the fact that people remember the same events but their interpretations of them differ (he and Brooke is his example there usually), but this obviously pertains to all matters. That doesn't make it a lie, it just means people experience the same events differently.

* I'm mostly struck now by the possible parallels with Tiger. Who is striking me on the one hand as an almost unbelievable idiot - and who is certainly an extraordinary betrayer of his wife and children (although I hope Agassi isn't that, at least with the current wife...) - but on the other hand I'm wondering if in fact he's caught up in a much similar whirlpool to the one Agassi describes in the 1990s, with a different version of otherwise similar self-destructive behavior. Perhaps that's too generous...
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #152
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3csl View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. When he mouthed out "watch this" to Bollettieri, he clearly knew what he was doing before Jaite served and it wasn't just a split second reaction!

Are you doubting that he actually said "watch this"? Just look around on the web, or at the ESPN replay on video. There's also plenty of online documentation of what happened that day. One such site:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=2391517&page=3

Isn't it interesting that Andre (or rather, his book), didn't even mention this?

Did most of the people here actually watch Agassi grow up, or is this board representative of "newer" fans unfamiliar with young Andre?
I have to disagree with you - I did not see that. Maybe I was blinking at the time. I really don't know why you're making such a HUGE deal about one small incident.
llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #153
irma

irma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article from a feminist journalist who was dissapointed in Steffi because she always looked out that Andre got his diner at the right time. (according to Andre in the book)

And it wasn't Nav this time
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #154
country flag djul

djul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond reputedjul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
I read an article from a feminist journalist who was dissapointed in Steffi because she always looked out that Andre got his diner at the right time. (according to Andre in the book)

And it wasn't Nav this time
god some "journalist(s)" have time
djul is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #155
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati830728 View Post
andre will be on jonathan ross
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECFZkxPwTmI
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxqrWpJdiI
Jessyka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #156
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10414667
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #157
country flag yoguis

yoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks!
yoguis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #158
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you!

-------------------------
Can we download this video?
YouTube downloader does not do....
Stephan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #159
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute

http://nos.nl/artikel/120183-schorsi...pgeschort.html
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #160
country flag yoguis

yoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond repute

Another interview

http://boeken.blog.nl/leestips/sport...t-andre-agassi (Andre came at 34 min)
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #161
country flag bia

bia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond reputebia has a reputation beyond repute

www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20091216_221339_agassi-a-dit.htlm
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #162
country flag hélène

hélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond reputehélène has a reputation beyond repute

Merci beaucoup, grazie, thank you
hélène is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #163
country flag Stephan

Agassi: Ik speelde om mijn vader te plezieren
Agassi: I played for my father to please

INTERVIEW, Van onze verslaggever Mark van Driel op 14 december '09, 22:41, bijgewerkt 15 december '09, 08:31

Andre Agassi bij de presentatie van zijn autobiografie (AFP)
Translation:
AMSTERDAM - Former tennis (39) saw as a child of the tennis court lines and the bars of his existence. He lived in a "solitary".

Even before his birth that Andre Agassi was the best player in the world would be. His father Mike, an ex-boxer and immigrant from Iran, had so determined. What he had not succeeded in his three previous children, would work with Andre.

"After 22 years and 22 million strokes with my racket" was like his father, writes in his autobiography Agassi Open. He had won Wimbledon. But he knew no advice to his feelings. He never had the chance to choose his own life fulfillment. While millions of fans adored him, he hated tennis.
Father

His book is an exploration of his extraordinary life, a frank and thorough search for identity. And while it is a warning to parents, who share the ambitions of his father. In tennis it teems. It fills him with horror, says Agassi (39) during a promotional visit to Amsterdam.

"If you define the success of your children in terms of money or the amount of titles they win, you're beyond help. It makes me sad when I see parents make that decision. Because if you make that mistake, many mistakes will follow. "
Andre Agassi was a guest Monday at the Holland Sports Program

2500 balls per day

Agassi sees the countless hours as a child he spent on the tennis court as child labor. His father had him hit balls for hours daily. He fired them at him with a self-designed cannon balls ( "The Dragon"), on the tennis court was specially built in the backyard of their home is Las Vegas. The training philosophy was simple: 2500 balls per day is 17,500 per week is nearly one million per year. That was successful.

What was Agassi of tennis, did not matter. He would often stop, but did not dare say to his father. The mood in-house Agassi depended entirely on his performance on the track. "I play to please him. Everyone was happy when I won at home, because then my father was enjoying. I hated it to see what the family did with tennis. It turned all relationships. If that child had a great weight. Tennis was the enemy. "
Brother and two sisters

While Agassi struggled with feelings of loyalty. "The stakes were high, because my dad always let me show his last and best hope of tennis success. For a little boy that is a tremendous pressure: the faith of your father in your options. It provided a sense of duty on. For me tennis was working. I know that children in some cultures to work, but it is unreasonable to expect a child that he can handle such complex emotions. "

In his 2004 biography of Father Mike said that he was ready to Andre ', after the failed attempts his brother and two sisters ready for the professional tennis. He would not make the same mistakes. His brother and two sisters have been even heavier, Agassi readily acknowledges. Because they never have been number one and not have earned millions in tennis.
The departure of Andre Agassi on the tennis court

Identity Crisis

"That I've made it, has been difficult for them. They have always felt that what my father did was unreasonable. But my success has been more or less legitimate approach. It was not him it was to them. I've been fortunate that my successes have given me the chance to find myself and own identity. "

That Agassi managed only to his own estimation his 27th round, after a deep identity crisis in which he shall strip of hard drugs and sinking far in the world.
Steffi Graf

His hatred for tennis was replaced by "hate-love, even his marriage to former tennis star Steffi Graf. It was his opinion that the first shared his complicated feelings about tennis. When he confessed he felt a deep hatred for tennis, she replied nonchalantly, "That's all we do."

Agassi beaming at the memory. "It was unbelievable at the same instinct to think about something important. The difference is that they have asked themselves for tennis has chosen, while the choice was made for me by my father. It is elegant dealt with the pain and pressure of the tennis player.

"For me it has always squeezed, like a square piece of wood through a round hole, trying to push. I kept trying, but it did not succeed. "
Jaden and Jaz

With Agassi Graf has two children: son Jaden and daughter Jaz from 8 to 6. Their presence has helped him understand the strange, twisted world of his boyhood in his book describes as a stay in a "solitary". The lines of the tennis court served as the bars of his existence.

The former stars and have consciously decided to keep their children away from the tennis circuit. They have no tennis court at their home. Agassi's son is doing to baseball. If he goes to visit his 80-year-old grandfather, the cannon balls used in baseball, but not to the best of the Jaden world. Agassi has another ambition: "I hope my son will learn to see the world through the eyes of others."

From his father he expects no more empathy. Mike has already informed him that the autobiography remains unread. "He said if I should do it again, I would do everything the same. Only I would not let you play tennis, but golf or baseball. Keep you full longer, and that you deserve more. "
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #164
country flag Stephan

More dutch illustrated articles on Andre:

http://www.pzc.nl/sport/internationa...goud-waard.ece

http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/11/SP...iografie.dhtml

http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/artic...r_te_plezieren

http://www.ed.nl/sport/5950665/Door-...-gevochten.ece

http://www.sportweek.nl/tennis/12192...e_titel_gezien

Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #165
country flag yoguis

A Conversation with Andre Agassi

http://fora.tv/2009/11/20/A_Conversa...si#fullprogram