Andre Agassi autobiography "Open" - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #136
country flag yoguis

yoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre Agassi autobiography "Open"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati830728 View Post
Thanks!
yoguis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #137
country flag m3csl

m3csl is on a distinguished road

I was pretty upset with his account of the Martin Jaite episode in the 1988 Davis Cup. He claims it was cold and he just caught the ball without thinking, but it was clearly premedidated - he looked over at Bollettieri moments before and mouthed out: "Watch this".

Makes me wonder how much truth-bending is going on in other parts of the book.
m3csl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #138
irma

irma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article where somebody wrote that Andre is a whiner and loser because he blamed his father for pushing him into tennis and that he should take Tiger Woods as an example because he never misbehaved and grew up as a responsable man despite being pushed into golf. I guess that journalist should write a new article.
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #139
country flag juliehardwick

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute

1) Jaite - how do you know that's what they were talking about? You're connecting dots without any evidence.
2) Irma - I'm struck by how ALIKE Tiger and Agassi look in all this - I'm thinking Tiger is stuck in exactly the same whirlpool Agassi was stuck in the 1990s, but risky sex replacing risky drugs... Can he pull of out of it like Agassi though?
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #140
country flag llama

llama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond reputellama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3csl View Post
I was pretty upset with his account of the Martin Jaite episode in the 1988 Davis Cup. He claims it was cold and he just caught the ball without thinking, but it was clearly premedidated - he looked over at Bollettieri moments before and mouthed out: "Watch this".

Makes me wonder how much truth-bending is going on in other parts of the book.
Actually, I saw that on tv not too long ago. I had heard about it - so I watched rather carefully. He didn't look at anyone before the ball was served. And it was pretty much an instinctive reaction. After he caught he he looked totally bemused at why everyone was booing him.

I've read the book. With all the stuff he's confessed, why would he lie about that? It would seem like a rather insignificant incident to "bend the truth" about.
llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #141
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

http://blogs.news.sky.com/sunrise/Po...1-7422eb92d72f
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #142
country flag m3csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Actually, I saw that on tv not too long ago. I had heard about it - so I watched rather carefully. He didn't look at anyone before the ball was served. And it was pretty much an instinctive reaction. After he caught he he looked totally bemused at why everyone was booing him.

I've read the book. With all the stuff he's confessed, why would he lie about that? It would seem like a rather insignificant incident to "bend the truth" about.
Completely disagree. Perhaps you watched a different telecast. He clearly looked at Nick, said "watch this", and did it in a bemused way. Commentators noted it. It is also referenced in the Mary Carillo interview with Andre afterwards (look it up!), where he shows the camera a telegram from then-girlfriend Amy Moss. He thought that catching the ball would endear him further to the fans, but in his youthful naivete it had the opposite effect.

I agree it is somewhat insignificant in terms of lying (and in fact, in this instance, there would be nothing wrong in noting that he simply made a childish mistake - so why even TRY to cover it up), but how do you know all this "other" confessions aren't truth benders as well?

Look, I love Andre and have since 1986! But the recounting of the Jaite incident just seems disingenuous.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #143
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond reputeJessyka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I agree.
Jessyka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #144
country flag m3csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post
I agree.
You're assuming, falsely, that every single thing he's "confessed" to is 100% accurate. I just pointed out one thing that I'm pretty sure he's not being totally honest with.

Geez, be a fan, not a worshipper. He's not God, he's a human being who is perfectly fallible. If you didn't get THAT from the book....I don't know what you did get.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #145
country flag m3csl

Not to belabor the point, but Andre himself has been inconsistent in the press/interviews with how he's reflected on the Jaite incident. One such example:

"And I've made mistakes: the time I caught the ball that Martin Jaite served in Argentina, I just can't imagine doing something worse than that. I can't imagine me ever doing it now."

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/29/sp...l?pagewanted=3
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #146
country flag juliehardwick

juliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond reputejuliehardwick has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't mean he intended to do it ahead of time in concert with Bolletieri.

What is idiotic is to think he lied in this book - you don't have to think he's anything but I regular person to maintain that. If he did, he's ruined forever and I think he & his whole team are savvy enough to be well aware of that. Lots of things people said 'weren't true" when the book came out have proven to be - eg I saw several tennis journalists write that stuff with Shields didn't happen at the US) because they didn't see it (and they know all), then Becker came out and said yes it did.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #147
country flag chowdahead25

chowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond repute

Havent read through the thread, but lending my two cents, this was a really great book. The Bollitieri stuff was really cool to me. Highly reccomend this book.

USA

TT '12

Singles (182) -- QF: Cordenons CH, Orleans CH

Doubles (80) -- Winner: Newport, Washington D.C., Genova CH
F: Dallas-2 CH, Khaosiung CH, Aptos CH,
chowdahead25 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #148
country flag m3csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
That doesn't mean he intended to do it ahead of time in concert with Bolletieri.

What is idiotic is to think he lied in this book - you don't have to think he's anything but I regular person to maintain that. If he did, he's ruined forever and I think he & his whole team are savvy enough to be well aware of that. Lots of things people said 'weren't true" when the book came out have proven to be - eg I saw several tennis journalists write that stuff with Shields didn't happen at the US) because they didn't see it (and they know all), then Becker came out and said yes it did.
I'm not sure what you mean. When he mouthed out "watch this" to Bollettieri, he clearly knew what he was doing before Jaite served and it wasn't just a split second reaction!

Are you doubting that he actually said "watch this"? Just look around on the web, or at the ESPN replay on video. There's also plenty of online documentation of what happened that day. One such site:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=2391517&page=3

Isn't it interesting that Andre (or rather, his book), didn't even mention this?

Did most of the people here actually watch Agassi grow up, or is this board representative of "newer" fans unfamiliar with young Andre?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #149
country flag yoguis

yoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond reputeyoguis has a reputation beyond repute

Proud Andre Agassi bids to swap private torment for public acceptance

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6951040.ece (a video is also there)
yoguis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #150
country flag kati830728

kati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond reputekati830728 has a reputation beyond repute

andre will be on jonathan ross
kati830728 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote