Planning a trip to New York - would appreciate some help! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Planning a trip to New York - would appreciate some help!

Planning to head over to New York for a week next summer, to coincide with the first few days of the US Open. Hoping to see as much of the more interesting parts of the city as possible...would also consider branching out to a nearby State - maybe Washington if it isn't ridiculously far? Never been to USA before, so please be patient with me!!

I'd like to keep within a budget of £2,500 but obviously be able to able to enjoy the trip! Obviously I can research flights and key touristy places of interest...but I'm wondering if anyone who has been before (or even lives there!) has any advice for me?

For instance, would you recommend a particular hotel(s) (not too expensive...but not a dive!)? How difficult would it be to explore a nearby State (transport link, price idea etc)? Are US Open tickets relatively easy to buy, especially for a night session? Would you recommend any particular destinations? etc etc

Thanks for any advice!

Edit - please feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning a trip to New York - would appreciate some help!

I was there last year and I'd recommend you to rent a car if you want to explore nearby states, which is a good decision. DC (Americans mean the state of Washington when they say Washington most of the time) is great, and Phily isn't bad either. Some of the cliffy shores on the northern part of New England are stunning too.

But natives will probably be more helpful.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
country flag star_of_dusk

star_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely recommend renting a car.

I've never been to any other grand slam, but the US open seems to be okay. There's parking right across the street at the Mets stadium if you are going to be getting a car. Also, there's a train that'll take you literally right to the US Open from Penn Station. I personally would recommend staying in New Jersey and go to the city by train or ferry and then you can take the subways/taxis around. Even if you get a car it's easier this way because it is an absolute nightmare for traffic. If you pick the wrong time of day you can be stuck going across the bridge/through Lincoln Tunnel for hours.

New York City's pretty awesome, but if you want to get away from the city it's also beautiful. I personally love Pennsylvania. You could go to Philly, you could go to Lancaster and see the Amish, you could go to Hershey Park if you love chocolate and it's also a decent amusement park, and Knoebels which is an amazing amusement park in Elysburg!!.

Anyway, you could drive to Baltimore if you like zoos or aquariums. Washington, Dc would definitely be within a driving distance if you really wanted to go there.

It'll still be nice enough during that time if you want to go to some beaches, I wouldn't go to any beaches in New Jersey, but Maryland (especially Ocean City), Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts (especially Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard) will have some nice beaches. Further up north will be really good if you want to go whale watching or anything. I've been up to Cape Cod a couple of times to go whale watching and it was an amazing experience.

Theres a lot you can do in the North East, it just depends on what you want to do.

I'll remember you this way

Last edited by star_of_dusk : 09-29-2009 at 06:39 PM.
star_of_dusk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
country flag star_of_dusk

star_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond reputestar_of_dusk has a reputation beyond repute

Also, and it will be a lot cheaper if you stay in New Jersey rather than than New York City.

I'll remember you this way
star_of_dusk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you like Burro, though hiring a car is the way to go and can make many trips.

I mean there is a lot to see in New England and the weather should be good at that time and not as hot/humid as in Washington for example.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

I think you could stay at the Ramada Inn/Holiday Inn in Jersey City. These hotels are not great but probably one of the cheaper ones. They are close( walking distance) to the Journal Square PATH station. You can take the PATH train into Manhattan and then can go to Flushing Meadows from there.

Definitely need to rent a car if you want to go to nearby states.

I personally like to drive through New York state but if you prefer cities, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington D.C are all within four hours drive.
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

I think Vermont is the most beautiful part of New England. I'm hoping to go back one day.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify that New York is not New England. It is considered Midatlantic.

If you're in NYC, there's plenty just there to be seen. I could list tons of places. Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Bronx Zoo, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Lincoln Center (Opera, Ballet, Theatre, Juilliard), The Cloisters, Brooklyn Bridge, Verazzano Narrows, South Street Seaport, etc. Also, if you're at the UU Open, you can explore the many Chinese shops in Flushing Meadow, lots of fresh and interesting foods.

Closest to NYC, you can head out on Long Island and see the many fine homes, beaches, parks, etc. there. Old Westbury Gardens, the Vanderbilt estate, the Roosevelt estate, Oyster Bay (Planting Fields Arboretum), Bayard Cutting Arboretum, Fire Island State Park, Shelter Island, Southampton and Easthampton, Greenport, Montauk Point, Orient Point, etc.

Getting to the higher reaches of New England will take a few hours drive but is doable. Up in Vermont are the Green Mountains and in New Hampshire are the White Mountains (including Mt. Washington, the Flume Gorge, etc.). Many people like Boston as well as Nantucket Island and Martha's Vineyard. Further up in Maine you have stunning Acadia Park.
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Manhattan hotel rates are scary. You would blow your budget in a few nights.
I found the Portland Square hotel, just a block from Times Square. You do not get much for your money, a bed in a tiny room. But it is a nice clean bed with crispy sheets. And who spends time in their room in NY anyway, other than sleeping? Other hotels in the Times Square zone are really expensive. But location, location, location.

On Manhattan a car would be a liability.

My must see in NY is the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). The striped acrylic chair is my favourite museum piece.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you really want to see New England. I would advise just staying in New York. There is so much to do in the city. You could head around to the other burrows for fun.
I went this past summer. Stayed in Manhatten right in the center between Times Square and Central Park. I never even went out of Manhatten except when I went to a Mets game. I still had plenty to do.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

anyway...lucky you !!!!!!!!! I LOVE New York, and wants to go back there one day...

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Manhattan hotel rates are scary. You would blow your budget in a few nights.
I found the Portland Square hotel, just a block from Times Square. You do not get much for your money, a bed in a tiny room. But it is a nice clean bed with crispy sheets. And who spends time in their room in NY anyway, other than sleeping? Other hotels in the Times Square zone are really expensive. But location, location, location.
Agreed.

Save yourself some money and stay in a shitty hotel or a hostel. That's what I did. To be honest, I found myself leaving my place at about 8am and getting home about 2am, so it's not like you need a luxurious place anyway.

Tickets for USO are easy, they go on sale through Ticketmaster closer to the time. Hard to get good tickets for Ashe I found, the ones I got were up in the sky. But Armstrong and Grandstand are also great stadiums. I quite liked practice day (the Sunday before it starts), was pretty quiet when I went last year and meant you could talk and interract with the players.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
country flag myrt

myrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond reputemyrt has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to NYC at least five times for 5-8 days each time and I still haven't seen everything. Get a good guide book with a good map of Manhatten, prioritize what you want to see and do on a daily basis, know that buses or subways will take you anywhere you want to go in the city for a very reasonable price. New Yorkers are friendly despite the rep. and will help you find anything you need. Plan ahead and pray for great weather.
myrt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
country flag Lemon Custard

Lemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Custard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rent a car, you can walk everywhere (or go underground if you prefer). Stay in Midtown (I prefer the Comfort Inn.. it's cheap, breakfast included and in the perfect location), so that you can just pick a direction to walk in every day. Do the touristy stuff, but also allocate some time to find stuff important to you (I like project runway so I went to Mood Fabric, theatre bookshops etc). Don't stay in Jersey, if you want to hang out in NY til late at night it takes ages to get back to where you're staying. Don't shop in non brand name shops on Times Square.

Last time I went, we stayed for 2 weeks, saw something different, ate at different places and explored somewhere we hadn't planned on every single day.

It is not expensive... American meals are huge, so they feed you well and transportation (walking, subway or taxis) is incredibly cheap. I've lived in Sydney my whole life, so it was basically a bargain.

If you want to go somewhere nearby that's awesome, I recommend DC. Historically thrilling, and everything is free!!
Lemon Custard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_of_dusk View Post
I would definitely recommend renting a car.

I've never been to any other grand slam, but the US open seems to be okay. There's parking right across the street at the Mets stadium if you are going to be getting a car. Also, there's a train that'll take you literally right to the US Open from Penn Station. I personally would recommend staying in New Jersey and go to the city by train or ferry and then you can take the subways/taxis around. Even if you get a car it's easier this way because it is an absolute nightmare for traffic. If you pick the wrong time of day you can be stuck going across the bridge/through Lincoln Tunnel for hours.

New York City's pretty awesome, but if you want to get away from the city it's also beautiful. I personally love Pennsylvania. You could go to Philly, you could go to Lancaster and see the Amish, you could go to Hershey Park if you love chocolate and it's also a decent amusement park, and Knoebels which is an amazing amusement park in Elysburg!!.

Anyway, you could drive to Baltimore if you like zoos or aquariums. Washington, Dc would definitely be within a driving distance if you really wanted to go there.

It'll still be nice enough during that time if you want to go to some beaches, I wouldn't go to any beaches in New Jersey, but Maryland (especially Ocean City), Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts (especially Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard) will have some nice beaches. Further up north will be really good if you want to go whale watching or anything. I've been up to Cape Cod a couple of times to go whale watching and it was an amazing experience.

Theres a lot you can do in the North East, it just depends on what you want to do.

I cannot believe you mentioned Knoebel's I used to go camping there every summer I think it's a slight exaggeration to call it an amazing amusement park But it is certainly amazing for the price! And the funnel cake is and I love that ice cream at the place that has that water wheel thing. But it is quite out of the way and not all that exciting for an overseas visitor who only has a week here

I will think about my own personal advice and type that up tomorrow.

That said, USO tickets are very easy to get I would only worry if you plan on attending the USO over Labor Day weekend. Otherwise you'll be fine

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote