Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
country flag SetTheory

SetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

I just wanted to whine slightly about people always wanting to play games rather than do drills or just 'hit'.

Not sure how it is at more advanced levels of playing but for a relative beginner like me there is too much of it, and I don't think a great deal is learned.

I tend to lose most games I play against my regular playing partners partly because I don't really think of them as games, just a chance to try out shots etc.

I refuse to play safe and just knock it back over the net, I don't feel I am learning anything that way.

For instance yesterday I wanted to work on my two handed backhand drives, during the 'game' I hit most backhands as slices which I find easy to keep in the court but I found it boring so kept trying my two handed drives, I hit one great winner down the line but missed most of the others.

I don't mind losing at all as I know what I am losing for (to improve technique, you have to take risks) but I would rather just do some hitting or some drills but this doesn't seem exciting enough for some apparently (I play against one player who has been playing for quite a while but only plays games, consequently he has dreadful technique, particularly his serve, but he doesn't want to work on it.)

Whine over.
SetTheory is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

Set, if you are a begginner, I suggest you spent 70%-80% of your time doing drills and playing agressive and when you play games, try to play more safer.
This way, you can fully unleash your potential into the drills while playing more tacticaly into the matches.
Soon as you advances you will become better and play more agressive in the games (match).
Find a partner that likes drills.
Try to convince other guys that you need a good time doing drills to get better. Then when you play the match, play safer.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion you need a good balance between physical workouts / drills / and genuine competitive match practice.

It really depends on how far you want to take it though, mate. If you intend on playing tournaments / league at some point then match practice will be important because a) as you say, you can try out shots, strategies and patterns of play against a competitive opponent, and b) to improve your own mental strength on big points, learning which shots you can rely on and which let you down at crucial moments.

You do make a good point though, and it is of course vitally important to learn basic technique and practice it.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I find this thread funny as fuck because I can never find a decent person to actually play a match

Everyone always just wants to hit

However, when just starting out, I think hours of just hitting are exactly what one needs.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think it's okay for people to have different preferences. I mean, I'd assume people that aren't into doing drills and practicing aren't really that serious about tennis, it's more about what they enjoy.

Personally I prefer playing matches myself, but I also like hitting the ball down the middle of the court to whoever's across the net, so I can get used to the rhythm and timing, adjust my technique or get more confident in hitting it harder without needing to worry about placement, movement, etc. I can't do it for too long though otherwise I will lose my concentration and get bored.

I'm not really into drills though.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
country flag SetTheory

SetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond repute

I should clarify I'm not whining at the people I play with but just at the situation in general. The fact they want to play games and are not so keen to work on their shots is fine, that is what they enjoy doing and from my point of view it's better than nothing.

I'm not sure if I want to get into any proper competition when I am technically up to it, I don't really enjoy that side of it so much (though it does add some drama to the situation I suppose.) Mainly I just want to play well and put the ball where I want to put it, I think perhaps pretentiously it's more of an artistic attitude to the game (cough.)

I would rather be a Nalbandian or a Santoro perhaps than someone who 'wins ugly' whatever the outcome. I get more pleasure from hitting some good shots and being made to run after balls and hit them back etc than I do from beating my opponent (and walking away with my 'self-esteem' in tact, not sure I care about that.)

However I do recognise the tactical benefits in playing games at this stage, it's just not the thing I am most interested in.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

The reason match practice is so wanted, is because if you listen to many players and coaches, they will tell you something like "tennis is 80% mental." Winning is such a confidence booster, even if it is a match you don't care about. For many people, they LOVE winning. In my case, I will do anything to win. Well obviously I'm not going to do cheap shit to win like call close balls out, drop shot and lob all day or push all day, but I will do everything for the most part in my power to find a way to win.

Honestly, working out and stuff like that is really more of a personal thing to do. And finding a drill partner that is as motivated to do drills long enough to benefit is very difficult to find, which is why people hire private coaches.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
country flag SetTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post

Honestly, working out and stuff like that is really more of a personal thing to do. And finding a drill partner that is as motivated to do drills long enough to benefit is very difficult to find, which is why people hire private coaches.
True, one reason I would like to find a practice wall near me somewhere, no luck so far. I'll keep looking for a suitable human being.