2011 Davis Cup Thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #121
country flag Swim4life227

Swim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond reputeSwim4life227 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Davis Cup Thread

I think they should go with whoever is in better form at the time. The Bryans and Andy (against #2 Ferrer/Verdasco) should be close to guaranteed points on home advantage. It's really going to come down to how we can get the 3rd point. Could Andy upset a tired out Nadal (who is likely to nearly max out on points during Clay/Grass)? Or could Fish/Isner/Querrey beat Ferrer or Verdasco (I think this is most likely).

I like our chances to win the DC if we make it past Spain. We will host the (likely) Serbia final. First, we wouldn't have even lost to them last year if it weren't for Andy pulling out. Isner took Nole to 5 sets but yet lost to Trocki in 4. If Andy played, we could have taken the crucial 3rd point. Andy could easily beat Nole on a hard court in a home crowd and we all know Nole IS that team.
Swim4life227 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #122
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing could be finer than some outdoor summer tennis in Texas. If they pick Austin, I may have to trek down the highway to see it.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #123
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, you should. nothing is more fun than davis cup tennis

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #124
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Was there any doubt? Austin, TX it is.
KXAN_News Austin's Andy Roddick announced on the Bobby Bones Show that the Davis Cup is coming to Austin in July http://tinyurl.com/49298n5
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #125
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Should be pretty fantastic on the UT campus with all those crazies

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #126
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Ut oh.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...vs-spain_N.htm

Spain appeals USTA's choice of surface for Davis Cup quarterfinal

The Davis Cup quarterfinal tie between the USA and Spain is nearly three months away, but the heat already is on.
The Spanish Tennis Federeration filed an appeal to the International Tennis Federation claiming that the surface chosen by the USTA for the event is not ITF approved.

The surface, known as Indoor Hard Premiere, was not on the list approved by the ITF, the sport's world governing body which runs the Davis Cup, the Spanish Federation said in a statement on its website.

The tie is scheduled for July 8-10 at the Frank Erwin Center on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin.

The USTA said that all questions regarding the issue should be directed to the ITF.

"It's a court that we are not familiar with because it doesn't meet the criteria," Spain Davis Cup captain Albert Costa told a news conference in Barcelona. "So the problem I have right now is to explain to the players what kind of court they will encounter, because even if we wanted to train on a similar one we could not install it because it is not approved," he added.

The ITF can confirm that the RFET lodged an appeal with the Davis Cup Committee," the ITF said in a statement. "The Davis Cup Committee has been asked to consider whether the surface chosen for Austin complies to rule 38 (a) of the Davis Cup Regulations for the Competition 'Surface of Courts and Playing Conditions. The Committee is in the process of considering this appeal with a decision expected later this week.

The USTA noted that it had used the surface before for Davis Cup matches, including in 2007 against Spain. It also was used in the 2007 final against Russia, among other times.

According to a report at tennis.com, the surface is sold in Europe under another brand name and might be used at other European ATP tournaments. The ITF does not approve surfaces by brand name, just by types, such as an acrylic hardcourt, which Premiere is one of. Spain has apparently objected to the brand name, and not the type of surface.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 04-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #127
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the ITF Rulebook and seeing the twitter chatter amongst the tennis journos about this, it all seems like much ado about nothing. The ITF requires court types, not brand names, and this type of court fits the regulations.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #128
country flag Deboogle!.

well, that was fuckign ugly. cant say i've ever seen him DF twice to lose a match before, or giveu p before it was over, or lose two sets after being up breaks in both. also cant remember that he's ever lost a DC match in straights at home. In austin no less. I actually am sad for him for the first time in a long time.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #129
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute

wow, what the fuck happened. i'm suddenly glad i didn't watch his rubber.

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #130
country flag Deboogle!.

he had 40-0 and 2 other SPs in the first set at 5*-4, then 2 more in the Tb, and lost. then an early break in the 2nd and gave it back, then the end of the third was about as ugly as i've ever seen from any player let alone him. sad.

Before the matches started i said to people he would either be awesome or horrible playing in austin, guess we got the answer

Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #131
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute

it must be such a miserable feeling to have a loss like that, considering everything (during davis cup, in austin of all places). and here i (and probably many others) figured usa would stand a really nice chance against spain without rafa.

i'm honestly shocked that it's not 1:1 because i figured if mardy lost, andy would have his rubber on lock today.

Last edited by tsurupettan : 07-09-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #132
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how he lost this match. It's just going to get even worse from here on out.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #133
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the match. Was really depressing to see Andy lose like that . I thought after squandering the first set and then leading 3-0 in the 2nd that he was turning things around. But I can't believe he lost in straights, the crowd was trying so hard to pump him up, but sadly it was not enough. Have to hope the Bryans will win tomorrow so USA can still have some hope.
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #134
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Lopez and Ferrer played excellent! Overall imo Fish played better yesterday than Andy. ARod just had no answers for what was always coming back. And is it me or was this really a fast court? I would have expected the balls to whizz by but they just seemed to hang in the air. Even though it was indoors would the atmosphere/humidity really play a role?
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #135
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

from what i watched of mardy's match, it didn't seem that the court was playing that fast, not like what i was expecting at least. i knew they wouldn't do a super fast court because both andy and the bryans play better on one that's not too much so, but i still didn't think it'd be playing like from what i saw yesterday.