Mens Tennis Forums banner

Fall tournaments 2009

12K views 259 replies 23 participants last post by  Truc 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, Tokyo (and Shanghai?) won't be indoors, I can change the title later, I just wanted to post his draw in Metz:

1. Gaël Monfils (FRA)
Bye

WC Sébastien Grosjean (FRA)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)

Janko Tipsarevic (SER)
Qualifié

Qualifié
8. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)

4. Philipp Petzschner (GER)
Bye

Mischa Zverev (GER)
WC Mickaël Llodra (FRA)

Richard Gasquet (FRA)
Qualifié

Christophe Rochus (BEL)
5. Fabrice Santoro (FRA)

7. Andreas Beck (GER)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)

Adrian Mannarino (FRA)
WC Josselin Ouanna (FRA)

Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Qualifié

Bye
3. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)

6. Benjamin Becker (GER)
Evgeny Korolev (RUS)

Denis Istomin (UZB)
Andrey Golubev (KAZ)

Bjorn Phau (GER)
Rainer Schuettler (GER)

Bye
2. Philip Kohlschreiber (GER)

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Indoors season 2009 - Metz

:shrug:

The only thing I've read is that he wouldn't have played on Sunday anyway. Chardy already knew on Saturday that he would play the last match instead of Gaël, even if it was a decisive rubber.

#4 ·

The strange thing is that Chardy played on Sunday and doesn't play Metz, and pulled out very early. Looks like France expected to have decised the tiee with Holland at Saturday. Gael could get Sunday off and play Metz and Chardy the opposite.

Then there still was a pretty shitty form on Friday and the leg treatment...

#6 ·

Did you listen to the audio interview? :help: He keeps complaining that he is so tired, he has trouble recovering lately, the doc said he shouldn't play, it's tough with his gamestyle to play when he isn't 100% physically, etc. etc.
Plus the thigh. Plus the ankle in training. And he just arrived in Metz today because he needed to take a few days off, so he won't be used at all to the conditions.

But what the heck is he doing there?!

#8 · (Edited)

L'Equipe doesn't buy it and comes again with the "DC effect" - except that it was predictable even before the Friday match that Gaël would turn up in Metz dragging his feet, they're annoying me big time with their DC obsession.

In Le Républicain Lorrain:
Gaël Monfils : « Je peux faire de bonnes choses »

Son état de santé. Blessé en coupe Davis (cuisse) le week-end dernier, cheville bandée lors de son premier entraînement mosellan, où en est Gaël ? « Très fatigué (il grimace) et je viens juste de me faire une petite entorse, ça craint, ce n’est pas terrible. J’espère être à 100 % mais je suis fatigué, déjà en rentrant des Etats-Unis puis là, après la Coupe Davis. Franchement, j’ai du mal. Mentalement, c’est bien. Physiquement moins, et c’est essentiel pour moi. »

Contre l’avis du médecin. Son envie de jouer a fait fi de l’avis du Docteur Bernard Montalavan, sorcier de la Fédération. « Il m’a dit clairement : tu prends un risque. Il ne m’a pas demandé de ne pas jouer. Ce sera une chance pour moi de jouer tard demain (aujourd’hui). »

Orphelin de son entraîneur. A Metz, Gaël Monfils a débarqué comme un grand, sans son coach Roger Rasheed. « C’était prévu. Il est retourné aux Etats-Unis. Si ensuite, il avait dû revenir en Europe puis suivre la tournée en Asie… »

Long, le chemin ? Quatre matchs pour le voir en finale, dimanche, dans cet état, ça va le faire ? « Possible, je retrouve avec plaisir les surfaces rapides, je ne tape pas mal, mon jeu est là. Oui, ce n’est pas trop mal. Sans être à 100 %, je suis capable de sortir des bonnes choses. »

Prochain adversaire, Sébastien Grosjean. « Je viens de l’apprendre, il y a longtemps que l’on s’est rencontré. » Mimique du genre : lui ou un autre… « Parce que je penserai d’abord à moi. Je devrai faire des efforts de concentration, prendre le match à mon compte. »

« Je n’ai même pas regardé le tableau »

Souviens-toi quand le jeune Gaël Monfils se hissait, ici en finale. « En 2005, je crois… Cette année, j’aurais aimé arriver dans de meilleures conditions, car cela me fait plaisir d’être dans ce tournoi. Malgré la fatigue, je peux peut-être gagner le titre. »

Richard Gasquet, il pense à lui. « Je n’étais pas au courant avant de venir ici. Je suis content qu’il ait gagné un match, très content, c’est sûr ! Mais j’étais complètement déconnecté du tennis. Je n’ai même pas regardé le tableau. »

Le fan de basket qu’il est, a-t-il craqué alors pour le récent championnat d’Europe avec Tony Parker ? « Non, je n’ai pas eu le temps avec la Coupe Davis et depuis j’ai fait des choses simples : regarder des séries, me retrouver avec les potes. Il fallait que je dorme aussi un peu pour reprendre du poil de la bête. Je dois me retaper. En France, c’est plus facile. On peut se coucher plus tôt, faire attention à son alimentation, à plein de détails. »

Dans la dernière ligne droite 2009, verra-t-on du grand Monfils ? « Je suis touché pour l’instant, j’ai un peu de mal alors je songe déjà à… finir la saison plus qu’à faire de grandes choses. Mon ambition sera de retrouver la forme pour être à 100 % à Bercy. »

Alain THIÉBAUT.
http://www.republicain-lorrain.fr/f...l-Monfils-Je-peux-faire-de-bonnes-choses.html
He says again that he's so tired, blablabla. The doc told him that he's taking a risk playing like that, but he thinks it's doable since he has only 4 matches to play and a late start.
He's alone in Metz, Rasheed is home, it was planned.
He says he's happy to play on fast surfaces again, he's hitting the ball pretty well, he's able to do nice things even if he is a bit struggling physically.
He's told about Richard's first round win and is happy for him, but he didn't even know about it as he had completely switched off a few days, just sleeping a lot, watching TV and hanging around with friends. He hasn't even looked at the draw.
He doesn't seem to have big expectations for the end of the season because he feels tired already. The idea right now is more to recover in time for Bercy.

#9 ·

I know all this whining about his poor shape is irritating and most people don't buy it, but when I think about it, the physical collapse in NY against Nadal was weird too.
I thought it was a mental collapse and a really poor management of his physical capacities and of his emotions, completely exhausting himself in the first set with his overexcitation and then having nothing left in the tank for the rest of the match, but it was weird to see him totally unable to bounce back, maybe he really is physically struggling. It's weird because he seemed so full of energy at the beginning of the USO and now he looks just flat out of the blue. And he's had so many long breaks this year, he should be bursting with energy compared to the others.
Training too hard with Rasheed who is insisting so much on the physical training?
It can also be only mental, and maybe he's really just deluding himself, but it annoys me when the journalists are SO sure he is.

#10 ·

Training too hard with Rasheed who is insisting so much on the physical training? It can also be only mental, and maybe he's really just deluding himself, but it annoys me when the journalists are SO sure he is.
I think he still has not found the right balance between playing, resting and practise. And I also start doubting a coach who is not capable of sorting this out.

I know you doubt the DC-stress, but there must be something in DC-ties which consumes a lot of players energy, both physical and mental, independantly from if they win or lose.

#11 ·

With the "DC effect", I didn't mean the difficulty to recover after a DC tie, I totally believe it is draining and I've been wondering since the beginning why he plays the week after a DC tie. But that's not what L'Equipe says either, that wouldn't bother me.

I was referring to the fact that they didn't believe him one second either on Friday when he said he was flat. They said that he just couldn't take the tremendous pressure of playing DC, period, he was perfectly fine and everything he said after the match is pure bullshit.

I won't start again on this, but that's why it annoys me when they say again that one doesn't have to buy whatever he might say about his current shape.

#13 ·

I was referring to the fact that they didn't believe him one second either on Friday when he said he was flat. They said that he just couldn't take the tremendous pressure of playing DC, period, he was perfectly fine and everything he said after the match is pure bullshit.

I won't start again on this, but that's why it annoys me when they say again that one doesn't have to buy whatever he might say about his current shape.
This is l'Equipe, you should know them by now. ;) I remember well what I read about him in France before the Nadal-match at the US Open, they praised his new serenity and maturity, and now they are back at criticising him, nothing new. Media never change.

#12 ·

something is wrong he said he tired so we want to ask why because since he back from injury he didnt play much games and dont put a lot fo energy except game against nadal so he has to do something because if he want to be number one in the world this attitude cant can't help him he must do something:

fired his fitness coach because it seems he didnt do his job in perfect way.

or

he change his full game style but i think it hard.

he must be beast in new season be because i think he had all skill that he need and he need to full engery.

i wish him luck in metz go gael.

#19 ·

There was no coverage yesterday, it will start only today. But he says he tried to play aggressively, yes. He still complains about not feeling very well, but he says he's striking the ball quite well.
But Seb was not a test with his WTA serves.

Gaël has an horrible record against Tipsy (never won a set against him), so I hope he will be particularly eager to take his revenge today.

#23 ·

It made me laugh too when he said that because he was dead serious! The presenter joked that he is a good boy, but Gaël didn't smile, he really meant it. (At least that's how it looked in my mini-livestream.)
Unfortunately, Sylvette doesn't always have this amazing effect on him, I remember especially a match against Ljubo where I was feeling for his parents in the stands because Gaël was just annoying.

He was so close to his baseline and hitting the ball so hard today, it was quite crazy!
I hope he will have his emotions under control tomorrow, he's often not doing very well when he plays against his friends, but he really looked great today, pleasepleaseplease keep it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.