Anyone good with anatomy or physiology? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Anyone good with anatomy or physiology?

So normally I would say I have slightly below average physical strength, and average strength on my strokes and serve for tennis. I haven't played competitively for about a month, but I have been going to the gym alot (startin to look kinda sexy ladies). Will adding muscle add much power to my shots, and are there any specific muscle groups that I should be working to increase the power on my serve, groundies, etc.?
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone good with anatomy or physiology?

To improve your game in general core stability is key in tennis, ask your fitness instructor to write you a programme based on increasing core strength. This will mostly benefit your serve of course, as all of the power comes from your core.

More specific exercises to do in the gym are things like shoulder turns to improve your ground strokes and lunges which will help you retrieve shots.

Obviously don't neglect your cardio though, speed and stamina are vital if you're a serious player - do both sprint drills and regular 5-10k runs.

Finally, having a good stretch routine between work outs will improve your flexibility which you need in abundance on a tennis court with all the twisting and turning you do in every match.

It takes a lot of hard work and time off the court to become a top player. Good luck
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Black View Post
To improve your game in general core stability is key in tennis, ask your fitness instructor to write you a programme based on increasing core strength. This will mostly benefit your serve of course, as all of the power comes from your core.

More specific exercises to do in the gym are things like shoulder turns to improve your ground strokes and lunges which will help you retrieve shots.

Obviously don't neglect your cardio though, speed and stamina are vital if you're a serious player - do both sprint drills and regular 5-10k runs.

Finally, having a good stretch routine between work outs will improve your flexibility which you need in abundance on a tennis court with all the twisting and turning you do in every match.

It takes a lot of hard work and time off the court to become a top player. Good luck
There goes the terribly short posts by Bernard.

Just to name a few excersizes.. be patient though, I don't know their proper names

1. While pointing your elbows in the air, lift dumbells by extend your forearm up into the air. This helps tremendously with increasing your racket head speed when you snap your arm for a serve generating pace obviously.
2. Any ball tossing excersizes that work your core is great.
3. Lunges and any excersize that works your thighs plus knees are very key because your legs take a beating in tennis.
4. Those one excersizes where you pull a string that holds weight, uh I have absolutely no idea what they are called. But the motion looks like you are doing one of those "arm sawing" celebrations like Stepanek does.
5. Any work out really helps because tennis uses many muscle groups, and even having some strength in those areas where it doesn't seem necessary, such as your pecs, do help in some situations, especially those high balls.
6. Run. Being in tremendous running shape helps SO much. You heal quicker after long matches, you can practice longer, body feels younger and you just overall become faster on court.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
country flag chowdahead25

chowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond repute

run run run run run. Im taking a physio/anatomy class right now. Core is also tremendously important in any sport that involves a quick body turn (tennis, baseball)
Also, in terms of muscle, "longer" is better than bigger. You dont want bulging biceps that hinder your movement on your swing. Elongated, well worked, toned muscle is what you are looking for in a sport like tennis, or baseball again, that requires quick, swift arm movements. Hope this helps!

Singles (131) -- Record - Qualifying: 18-14 Main Draw: 21-18 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Astana-2 CH SF: Itajai CH, San Marino CH QF: Sarasota CH, Samarkand CH

Doubles (132) -- Record - Qualifying: 19-6 Main Draw: 27-23 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Marseille, Arad CH SF: Itajai CH, Tianjin CH, Marburg CH, Vancouver CH, San Marino CH

Check out my new tennis "career" here!!! - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=502881
chowdahead25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdahead25 View Post
run run run run run. Im taking a physio/anatomy class right now. Core is also tremendously important in any sport that involves a quick body turn (tennis, baseball)
Also, in terms of muscle, "longer" is better than bigger. You dont want bulging biceps that hinder your movement on your swing. Elongated, well worked, toned muscle is what you are looking for in a sport like tennis, or baseball again, that requires quick, swift arm movements. Hope this helps!
I must confess to not having kept up with baseball for a few years but the sluggers used to have huge biceps.

To be fair, that could have just been the ones that were juicing though.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
country flag chowdahead25

chowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond repute

I know. For the straight up ball bashers who swing for the fences everytime, and are willing to take their 200 strike outs and take a rest day every 7th day, they bulk up. You'll almost never see a pitcher looking like that. More the finesse positions in baseball will look for the elongated muscles. And yes, most of them juice

Singles (131) -- Record - Qualifying: 18-14 Main Draw: 21-18 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Astana-2 CH SF: Itajai CH, San Marino CH QF: Sarasota CH, Samarkand CH

Doubles (132) -- Record - Qualifying: 19-6 Main Draw: 27-23 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Marseille, Arad CH SF: Itajai CH, Tianjin CH, Marburg CH, Vancouver CH, San Marino CH

Check out my new tennis "career" here!!! - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=502881
chowdahead25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Running- especially agility stuff- really helps. But strength wise- it is really in the core. Good leg strength is also crucial for a steady base that you can use for extra power Core is the main giver of strength during all shots, though. Wrists and shoulder strength could also help too I would think

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the guys have covered the most important areas here. Though if you want to add something specific and extra to your gym program, I recommend some shoulder rotation exercises. Those have helped me a lot during the past year or so. For example these two:

Just remember that the big muscle groups are the most important ones. There are just extra

And when you go running, think what it should be like to be better on the tennis court. Running 30 minutes with the same pace 3-4 times a week for 6 months will be good for your cardio, but you should also be able to do some sprints, interval training and footwork drills to improve yourself as a tennis player.
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote