Mens Tennis Forums banner

Luke Saville Cheering Thread

81K views 665 replies 56 participants last post by  Chris. 
#1 ·
Luke has had a good year playing juniors so far and he is the highest ranked 15 year old in the world I believe. He is currently ranked 146 in the juniors and will definetly be a player to watch at next years Aussie Open juniors. Along with Jason Kubler I can see these two being great tennis players.

He picked up his first ATP point yesterday beating Steven Goh 7-6 6-3. Plays John Millman later today which should be tough but I think he has a chance.

Here is his bio:

Luke Saville
Birth Date : 01/02/1994
Birth Place: Adelaide, Australia
Residence: Adelaide, Autralia
Nationality: Australia
Plays: Left Handed (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite Surface: Clay
Coach: Broderick ****
Age Started Tennis: 5
Personal Interests: football, cricket, beach, golf

Good to see a lefty whose favorite surface is clay.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for bringing this fellow to my attention!

There are a few 15 year olds ranked above him in the juniors but none born after 1993. For example, Dennis Novikov is ranked 91 and was born on 06 Nov 1993.

There are four 15 year olds in the ATP (mens) rankings - please see my website for details. There's a section you can look up youngest players at http://statracket.net/?view=stats/stats.php

But come Monday's new rankings he will be the youngest of the lot!

He got thrashed by John Millman 6-2 6-0 in the second round of the Australia F5 but he was playing the top seed. But still very nice work getting his first ranking point so young.

#4 ·
Thanks for starting this thread :)
Clearly the best South Australian male prospect since Hewitt and its great to see him leading a new wave of rising South Australians...they have gone missing a bit in the past few years IMO.

Would love to get to see him play...he did well recently at the Junior Davis Cup at No.2 for Australia in a 16&U competition. He also played this week at the Osaka Mayor's Cup in Japan, making the third round in singles (upsetting a seed) and the semi finals of the boys doubles with Kubler. Couple more ITF Junior Tournaments coming up in Asia, he'll be ranked comfortably inside the top 100 by the end of the season

#7 ·
I think he will do well i think he is better for Australian tennis in the future, maybe not as good as Kubler yet but Saville will do better on the mens tour. Hope he gets a win.

#12 ·
How is that lucking out? I would have thought playing another wildcard would be advantageous. Who would be a good draw for him to play? Perhaps he is yet a little too inexperienced to be given a main draw wildcard. Maybe a qualifying wildcard would have been more appropriate. Or are we going to see another Kubler instance again!

#16 ·
Luke received a wildcard into the Australian future this week in Ipswich, faces Yuri Bezeruk who hasn't played a tournament since January 2008. Massive oppurtunity for Luke here, I really hope he wins this match. Could face Andrew Gregory in the second round which could be a tough assignment for Luke.

#18 ·
#23 ·
Yeah a good scoreline. Hopefully can get another maindraw win at Bundaberg next week if he goes there. He isn't on the entry list but he wasn't on the entry list for Ipswich either when he got a wildcard.

#25 ·
Never heard of his oppenonent hopefully a straight set win.

#26 ·
His first round opponent is a qualifier that has only ever defeated one player in his professional career. Luke has spent most of last week in Brisbane training with the like of Lleyton Hewitt and Peter Luczak on clay so I would predict Luke would be up for this match.

Second round is a totally different story, Luke would most probably play Dane Propoggia which would be a tough match to win. Even if Luke only makes second round here it is really promising signs for him and shows that he is actually able to back up one week after the other.

After this week though it is likely Luke won't even play another senior tournament until the Aussie futures in August which is disappointing because I'd really like to see him kick on a senior career more than a junior career at this point given his youth.

Luke doesn't have the best junior ranking either so he might not even get to play RG or Wimbledon which would be disappointing but hopefully he plays a couple of futures in Europe to get some more experience between now and August.

#27 ·
Ok thanks Matchu. Well if he got a bit lucky against Propoggia and won, i think he maybe able to make it pass the quarters and maybe the semis as well, but i dont want to jinx him though. Good Luck hope you can atleast get a win or two.

#30 ·
Luke is in the under 18's championship where it is so far so good. He beat Luke Harvey 61 60 in his first group match and then had a much tougher time against Maverick Banes winning a very close three setter in a match that lasted over three hours in windy conditions and could very easily have gone Banes' way.

#32 ·
Luke is into the semis after defeating the fourth seed Alex Bolt 7-5 6-0. Now plays James Duckworth. Summary of the match from http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=7951

Bolt, seeded fourth, raced away with an early break and looked poised to take the first set.

Saville regained his composure and fended off several more break points, stealing the set then taking absolute control of the match.

His power from the back of the court was impressive, producing winners from both sides and sending a clear warning to his next opponent.

#33 ·
Luke lost to Duckworth 63 62.

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=7957

Opening the encounter with an ace, Duckworth was in fine form from the early stages of the match. In stark contrast, Saville was forced to fend off break points in his opening service game, which added to the mounting pressure. The break came in the fourth game, as Duckworth moved ahead into a 5-2 lead and later closed out the set 6-3.

In the second, Duckworth broke a dejected Saville in the first game, later having to save break points against his own serve to lead 4-2. Moving around the court with ease, Duckworth appeared to have all the answers to Saville's game. He took the second set 6-2 but insisted that he must improve if he is to take out the final.

“I think we were both a bit nervous, probably wasn't both our best match ... it's always tough playing a friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.