Any Comments on Serve? (Video) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
country flag SetTheory

SetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Comments on Serve? (Video)

Thanks for the encouragement Bernard, it didn't feel as good as it looked today as my accuracy was off so it's good to watch the video back and see that it's getting better, it's just a bit new right now in terms of consistency.

HKz, thanks again for the comments. What you said all makes sense to me, I'll try and slow the throwing arm down a bit and contact the ball higher (my contact point has been too low all along, it really needs fixing.)

I'll work on it and post another vid if/when it improves and I need more tips (wondering about the back leg, most players seem to move it up behind their front leg before uncoiling, also I need to get more snap in the wrist, but everything in good time, basics first I suppose.)
SetTheory is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't be discouraged because you have a very, very solid serve for someone who has only played for that length of time.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
country flag SetTheory

SetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond reputeSetTheory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, attempted to make the contact point higher this morning. Some improvement I think, take a look at the video if you get a chance (two serves this time, second one is probably better.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7gYS9SE_w

Re slowing down the tossing arm, I've been trying to do that but don't feel I can get the power into the throw if I make the action slower, though I need to experiment more.

Still not pronating late enough I don't think, you can see the racquet face when it's behind my back but it flattens out a bit too soon. One reason for this is grip, I tend towards a grip in between a continental and an eastern forehand for the serve. Was trying the full continental for a while but it seems a bit uncomfortable, I think I need to isolate that aspect and practice it more, unless I can get away with a semi-continental grip, not sure.

Finally I don't really feel like I am uncoiling with enough force at the moment, still concentrating on timing the contact point and getting the knee bend right etc, not able to 'explode' up at the ball much really. Hopefully I can move onto this aspect when I have the other elements more locked down.

Pleased with progress so far anyway, thanks for all the tips in this thread. Not much chance of me getting discouraged I don't think, you get out what you put in, take small steps towards the goal, and so on, and on.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Contact point height has improved a little, but I think much more progress can be done with it. However looking good. One thing I should point out is that your tossing hand is coming down a little too early and keeping it up can build up more coil action and in turn, power. Experiment with having very high tosses for the hell of it and see if you can "accidentally" find your little knack. Tennis is all about experimenting because we are all built differently with height, leg strength, leg and arm length, etc. I would also experiment with sliding your back foot, as in your left, to your right foot during the toss like many players such as Nadal do and experiment with that which can be seen in those previous videos I sent you.

Good progress.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
country flag SetTheory

Good plan HKz, I've spotted the back foot slide thing from the various videos I've watched, will try and work it in and see what effect it has. Will also try a higher ball toss (will have to adjust my timing.)
Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
country flag HKz
Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetTheory View Post
Good plan HKz, I've spotted the back foot slide thing from the various videos I've watched, will try and work it in and see what effect it has. Will also try a higher ball toss (will have to adjust my timing.)
Players who slide their foot really use their feet to generate much of the power such as Mario Ancic. But players like Federer or Sampras do not pull their feet together. Instead, they use their backs. They still use a lot of knee bend, but their backs are what give that extra pop on their serves. It can be risky for some people who have bad backs or don't strengthen the back muscles enough, but it can be a very advantageous aspect to have. However the mechanics become a bit tricky for some people so that is why I recommend trying to use your feet first.