Forehand Slice Appreciation - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forehand Slice Appreciation

Yes, this is a bandwagon thread for the shot of kings.

Sadly, the professionals cannot seem to find a place for it, but at amateur level it is a deadly weapon in my opinion! I find the forehand slice handy for:

1) Perhaps the primary reason, retrieving an angled shot where the running forehand drive is not feasable, or just not a percentage shot. The "squash shot" is vital to make your opponent play just one more tricky ball from a seemingly helpless position. Personally, I love angling this one cross court as your opponent will likely back off having seen you haven't changed grips and expect the lob, leaving them wide open.

2) An approach shot - nowhere near as effective as the backhand slice approach because physics usually prevent you getting the same bite, but hitting across the ball and putting it into the corner to the right-handers backhand I find to be a simple, but amazingly effective play. The ball will fade on them making that running backhand very difficult to time, so expect an easy volley after a good approach.

3) A change of pace / junk - after a long, intense rally what better way to disrupt your opponents rhythm than to dump a floated forehand slice, deep and down the middle. It's the last thing they'll be expecting and can cause a surpring number of unforced errors because they won't be able to resist teeing off on it and badly overhitting.

Anyone else enjoy slicing and dicing your opponent with this unorthodox shot?
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forehand Slice Appreciation

Only when defending, like Roddick does, at the forehand side, because my running forehand sucks .

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Only when defending, like Roddick does, at the forehand side, because my running forehand sucks .
I feel your pain, having a hack running forehand myself.

I have high racquet head speed which is fine when you have time on the shot, you can get real pace, but it's a pain to get the timing and hit the sweet spot when on the run. Having the forehand slice option really takes the pressure off though because it's much easier to control on the run, and gives you time to recover
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good running forehand, but I just love the forehand slice too.

Chip and charge off a forehand slice gotta be the most satisfying feeling in the whole world.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

Mine goes a little crazy...I can either hit it ridiculously hard with tons of slice, or it'll be the most retarded looking shot ever

Coria used to use the forehand slice sometimes to trick opponents into thinking he was really pulling out the dropper
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
country flag Heners

Heners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond repute

only use it when the play is right,
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heners View Post
only use it when the play is right,
Yeah this.

If I am totally off the court, maybe like more than 5 feet away from the sideline and it is a ball that was hit with topspin and looped, I sometimes do opt to use the forehand slice, but I find it really risky because a slight mistiming equals a shank. Honestly looping the forehand back deep cross court with good net clearance is probably the best option at the non-professional level. But for pros, it seems that for a lot of fast court players, the forehand slice is probably best option because if their opponent tries to bunt volley it, the underspin goes crazy off their racket many times. Also if they decide to try to approach after your slice bounces, it is also very difficult to control because of the slice put onto the ball.

Now approaching the net is different for me. I try to never approach the net unless I get a ball where I can flatten out the approach shot on my forehand side or slice it on my backhand side because it is pretty tough to flatten shots out with a one-handed backhand, it literally has to be at a perfect height many times. I am really a fan of keeping the ball low when coming into the net because it really hinders my opponent's ability to hit a good topspin lob. So with that being said, I don't think I have ever hit a slice forehand approach. Maybe a flat one a couple times, but never a slice. While yes you can't hit it like a backhand slice, what can be done is by adding massive sidespin as well. Fernando Gonzalez has done this numerous times especially when he has been pulled into the net.

Using it as a change up during a neutral or long rally is something I have never been a fan of. Instead, one of my changeups I use many times is running around a shot that is coming directly towards me and hitting an inside out backhand slice rather. Also the reason why I am not a fan of the forehand slice during rallies is again because it isn't the exact same manner as the backhand slice, both because of mechanics of the grip and probably because of not as much practice of it on the courts. So in turn, playing a quality opponent who can read this a bit early will make him want to sneak in and volley it away.