Is Tennis a sport for the rich? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
country flag Lebeuf

Lebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Tennis a sport for the rich?

Everybody can buy a racquet and some balls and play on free court in the cities , but i'm wondering is playing in a club or anything like that to find opponants since it's one of my problem really expensive? Is it possible to become a great player just practicing and learning by yourself? I'm a very very good hockey player and i feel i Learned everything by myself except skating when I was a kid , can I do that in Tennis , or should I pay for some coaches? I'm not rich so that may be a problem.
Lebeuf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is Tennis a sport for the rich?

Fuck anyone that is going to tell you that you have to pay money to become good. I learned by watching Haas, Fed, and Aggassi and then applying what i saw to my game. I can't afford a club either and I am glad that I don't go. I have spent hours upon hours working on refining my game and I am proud to say that every "flaw" and "hitch" in my strokes are my own. Any ace I throw down is 100% mine; any topspin lob I hit is my own. I don't rely on people teaching me. I teach myself and I know that it gives me more heart and determination than anybody that pays $30+ an hour to take the easy way out and buy a coach.

Do it on your own and be proud that you developed your game from nothing to something.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Tennis a sport for the rich?

Some resentful people in here.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
country flag Sean Light

Sean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Fuck anyone that is going to tell you that you have to pay money to become good. I learned by watching Haas, Fed, and Aggassi and then applying what i saw to my game. I can't afford a club either and I am glad that I don't go. I have spent hours upon hours working on refining my game and I am proud to say that every "flaw" and "hitch" in my strokes are my own. Any ace I throw down is 100% mine; any topspin lob I hit is my own. I don't rely on people teaching me. I teach myself and I know that it gives me more heart and determination than anybody that pays $30+ an hour to take the easy way out and buy a coach.

Do it on your own and be proud that you developed your game from nothing to something.
Really powerful post. I completely agree. I play on the free courts at the local university campus. Trust me the Physical Education kids can teach you more then a lot of the court yuppies.
Sean Light is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's very nice. But the problem is competition. Patrick Olobo form Uganda was by far the best player in Uganda and he largely did what you did. But he never had any high quality competition and ended up only beng good enough for a NAIA school team. Players from poor regions of the world have it very difficult to succeed. They would have to move to America or Europe to learn how to compete with and beat the best. They would have to have to have a good deal of money to make that move. You just simply aren't going to become a good pro if you stay in Africa or Southeast Asia, unless you travel for competition.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #6

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
That's very nice. But the problem is competition. Patrick Olobo form Uganda was by far the best player in Uganda and he largely did what you did. But he never had any high quality competition and ended up only beng good enough for a NAIA school team. Players from poor regions of the world have it very difficult to succeed. They would have to move to America or Europe to learn how to compete with and beat the best. They would have to have to have a good deal of money to make that move. You just simply aren't going to become a good pro if you stay in Africa or Southeast Asia, unless you travel for competition.
Oh sorry I forgot Canada was soooooooooooo poor. And if you are alone you can just make serve impossible to return and still be able to get amazing with retarded strokes (Look at Isner). There is no need to pay 30$ a hour to learn a game so you can go S a D
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

As a sport, I wouldn't necessarily classify tennis as "for the rich" depending, of course, of the availablity of free courts in your area. Here in Richmond, we are extremely fortunate in that regard. All the public high schools (and there are 10 schools with 8 courts each in our county alone) make their courts available during non-school hours or events. Free lights are available on about half of those. Then there are our county parks-run courts, including 6 decently maintained clay courts.

So other than the price of a racket and balls, the cost to play is minimal.

But what I think you're really asking is: Is it expensive to get good? A lot goes into a decent response. What's your natural talent? It sounds like you're a gifted athlete but keep in mind different sports require different skill sets. How much are you willing to teach yourself? Like dunlop said, he's done it all on his own and is quite proud of it. Do you have access to teaching video (be it youTube, DVDs or other instructional material) and can/will you be able to "learn" from them?

Clubs have their place, I believe. And depending on your finances, they can be a viable option for quickly improving yours skills and opportunities to play. I sometimes think the hardest thing for "independents" (those not affiliated with a club) to do...is find folks to play. That's where clubs hold a distinct advantage. But don't overlook opportunities by/with your local/regional/national tennis associations. You need not be a club member to play in USTA-sanctioned events, merely the $35US annual membership.

A lot of clubs like to foster an idea of exclusivity and rarely "publish" their prices...so I'll spill the beans on ours. After being an independent for 10+ years, we finally joined a local swim & racket club. We grew a family (I have two small girls) and wanted access to the pool and gym/fitness facilities too. It runs us about $100US/month and that includes unlimited court time for me (except in the deepest part of winter and indoor time is somewhat rationed). Considering we also spend the same amount on cable TV & internet (as entertainment), we think it a reasonable expense. Granted, I'm an established adult with income commensurate with my experience (in life ).

Lessons are a different story. Our club pros charge $40/hour for private lessons and similar fees (divided appropriately) for small group lessons. I think that expensive although compared to what our "professionals" get...maybe not (my doc and lawyer charges $225US/hr, my tax acct "only" $150US/hr). But from a cost-benefit perspective, I'm not taking any lessons. I'm a comfortable 3.5 NRTP player...and that's where I think I'll stay. Don't get me wrong, there are many aspects of my game I'd like to improve, but what I've got is good enough for me now.

I will say, though, that our club offers a $10US/hr "Disco" tennis session every week that's fun, fitness building and works on your game.

My best teacher/coach/mentor...is someone I met during a tournament. Turns out we worked for the same employer (different department), had the same collegiate degree (engineering) and both played mainly on public courts. He's still my favorite mixed doubles partner and he still teaches me something every time I walk on court with him. It took me years to find someone like that (and I wasn't even really looking) but it's been a wonderful relationship. I've often wondered what he got out of it. I finally asked him last year. He laughed first then replied: how else do I get to play with a "pretty" (those were his words, mind you) blond...who everyone seems to underestimate. He said it was worth at least a game or two each match. But then he stopped laughing and got serious. He LOVES the game...and wants another generation to LOVE it too (I'm 10+ years younger than him). Plus, like all classic teachers, he says he learns as much from our adventures as he teaches. Either he has to learn how to break something down (to teach it to me) or analyze something in a different way (call it the Mars/Venus effect).

And I hope, I'll feel like him and can take the initiative and time to teach someone younger than me...when that time comes.

So...there you have it. Maybe more than you wanted but that's how I'll answer it today.

Good luck!

Last edited by Angle Queen : 08-31-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Angle Queen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is a sport for the elite and frankly I'm glad.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, tou can´t be a good player training by your own all the time, all good pro player that trained alone received financial support from someone (like Gicquel from Frnech Federation), so yes, Tennis is for, at least, mid class.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh sorry I forgot Canada was soooooooooooo poor.
wha?
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
wha?
Lebouf is from Canada (a country without too much poverty). Are you too stupid to notice the little flag next to his name?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh sorry I forgot Canada was soooooooooooo poor.
Quote:
Lebouf is from Canada (a country without too much poverty).
Make up your mind dude.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoo Foo View Post
Make up your mind dude.
It's sarcasm you uneducated retard. Canada is well off.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #14
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is an expensive sport in the first place unlike other sports. You need a racket with strings, tennis balls, tennis court with a good net and a parter who has a racket with strings as well unless you want to just become a psuedo-Karlovic. It isn't like basketball where you just need a basketball and a cheap garage hoop and play by yourself, or soccer where you literally just need a ball. Tennis is an expensive sport to begin with so only people who can afford it end up playing consistently and competitively. Sure you can say that "you don't need a private coach or go to a tennis academy to become a great tennis player." Okay, you can become the number 1 of your school without those things, big deal. Tell me how many people in the top 20 of your region do not go to some academy or have some kind of designated full time or nearly full time coach? I know in my USTA division, the top 30 all nearly are in this category. And then listen to the pros at the top of the game. Their parents spent countless hours ON TOP of the money. Hours folks. If you thought money was enough, these parents had to SPEND HOURS with their children and that alone means that you better be able to bring home the dough in order to actually have that kind of time to spend with your children.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
country flag whattheheck

whattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond reputewhattheheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Tennis is an expensive sport in the first place unlike other sports. You need a racket with strings, tennis balls, tennis court with a good net and a parter who has a racket with strings as well unless you want to just become a psuedo-Karlovic. It isn't like basketball where you just need a basketball and a cheap garage hoop and play by yourself, or soccer where you literally just need a ball. Tennis is an expensive sport to begin with so only people who can afford it end up playing consistently and competitively. Sure you can say that "you don't need a private coach or go to a tennis academy to become a great tennis player." Okay, you can become the number 1 of your school without those things, big deal. Tell me how many people in the top 20 of your region do not go to some academy or have some kind of designated full time or nearly full time coach? I know in my USTA division, the top 30 all nearly are in this category. And then listen to the pros at the top of the game. Their parents spent countless hours ON TOP of the money. Hours folks. If you thought money was enough, these parents had to SPEND HOURS with their children and that alone means that you better be able to bring home the dough in order to actually have that kind of time to spend with your children.
Very well said. Tennis is only for the elite, or at least for people who want to invest a lot of money and time into it if they want to be successful in the sport.
whattheheck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote