Keeping your head against a cheating opponent.... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping your head against a cheating opponent....

I'm usually very calm on court, it takes a lot to wind me up. But I had a match this morning where a fucker was using every piece of gamesmanship in the book and I fell apart. I don't think I've ever been so angry after a loss.

So here's how it goes: (apologies for the essay ).

- He serves first. He takes like 1 second in between points and then is hitting his next serve clearly before I'm ready. I tried to slow it down by walking to the back fence and stuff, but he pretty much just went ahead and served anyway.

- When I get used to this pace, he starts mixing it up. Some points he'll be hitting his next serve as soon as the previous point ends. Other times he'll take about 40 seconds in between points. Crazy.

- I'm playing pretty well, and cruising the match. So on my serve, he starts delaying me in between first and second serves. If I miss my first, he goes and gets the ball and hits it back to me, rather than waiting till after the point. There was often 15-20 second gaps in between serves, and my 2nd serve is shaky at the best of times.

- I still keep my focus and lead 6-4 *5-3. Serving for the match. I'm playing a bad service game but I serve an ace to save break point and take it to deuce. Just as I'm about to serve, he says "hang on". Goes to his bag and gets his mobile phone. Then spends 2 minutes having a conversation, and returns to the baseline without a hint of an apology. It was laughable. I lose my rhythm, hit a double fault and end up getting broken. :retard:

- Set goes to a tie break. Again, he stalls at the start. When it's my turn to serve, instead of passing me the balls, he hits them onto the next court. Again, no apology or anything, it was clearly on purpose. He celebrates all my unforced errors in the tie break and throws in a few dodgy line calls as well.

- He wins the tie break 7-4. As I'm sitting having a drink, he's muttering stuff like "can't believe how badly I'm playing and I'm still in this match", "you should really have beaten me by now the way I'm playing" etc.

- I start the 3rd set well and go up a break. Then he says he needs to go and get something from his car. He returns about 10 minutes later....To be honest, by this stage I was tempted to walk off the court.

- He carries on with some bullshit tactics and the 3rd set goes to a tie break. I've got the momentum having held from 0-30 to take it to 6-6. Again, at the start of the tie break he goes and gets his mobile and makes a call. At this point I lose it and shout "for fucks sake" and go and sit down. A couple of mins later he's ready for play (without an apology obviously). But I'm so infuriated by this stage I pretty much tank the tie break and play a shocker.

So I lost 4-6 7-6 7-6 in about 3 hours on the hottest day of the year in London.

The thing is, it wasn't even an important match, it was a league match which was pretty irrelevant. As I say, I don't usually get annoyed by these things, I just get on with my own game. I was playing pretty well and should've finished it off in 2, but even then I should've won the 3rd, I can't believe I lost to him. I should probably have just walked off court because it was ridiculous, but I played on. I was tempted to just hit my serves anyway when he was fucking around on his phone, but I pride myself on the fact I play the game in a good spirit and didn't want to stoop to his level. I basically didn't say anything to him at all apart from the "for fucks sake", I didn't want him to know he was getting to me.

I've challenged him to another game tomorrow because I want to beat this prick big time, and I want some tactics to deal with his inevitable cheating/gamesmanship. Any ideas?
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping your head against a cheating opponent....

Now you know how some of the pros feel playing against delayers.

Well, I'd have walked out much earlier, mate. You did well staying, but I guess there's only so much one can take.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

That's harsh mate, what a prick

I'm sorry but I have to laugh, and reminds me so much of the movie in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfT7p6kBE0

I don't think I've ever had an opponent quite as bad as the one you describe so I'm not sure I can be much help. It sounds like it was all a deliberate plan to throw you off your game, so take heart from the fact he rates you highly enough to believe the only way to beat you is by resorting to dirty tactics.

For your next match I think it really comes down to two choices:

1) Sorry to sound harsh here, but man up! Tell him you like to play tennis in good spirit and you feel his taking time between points, answering his phone, etc. is completely against the way the game should be played. You don't want to make it too serious, but blatently, he was taking the piss so call him out on it.

2) You let him continue with his antics but use it to your advantage. So he's taking extra time between points....use this to give yourself a breather, don't think about what's he's doing think about how you're going to execute the next point. Just keep positive and motivated. You are the better player so just let your tennis do the talking.

Good luck for tomorrow
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite tactic against this is simple. You can't miss.

Dropshot him, doesn't matter how bad it is. Just bring him to the net. Hit a huge shot at him. Don't even pretend you wanted to hit the court. That will make him think twice. Hit as hard as you can - aim for the chest.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn that has to be the best post you have ever written. I will surely try that

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Adam, come on man.

Why didn't you pull out your phone and do the same thing he was doing?? You should have hit serves when he wasn't ready and done the same cheap stuff he was doing. And I would have hit a serve right at him one point, if you were up 40-0 or 40-15 or 30-0. Just blast a serve right at his head. Do every cheap thing he is doing to do, don't let him play HIS cheap shit on you. Make sure that he will never fuck with you again. Kick ass next time

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
country flag Heners

Heners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond repute

i have played againest many "cheaters" and "hooks" in the last couple of games, really if theres any problem and you know the correct score i dont back down, and if it keeps on happening then i ask for someone to umpire / watch instensely.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys, about to head off to play him now, I'll keep the suggestions in mind. I like Glenn's a lot
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
country flag Lebeuf

Lebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond reputeLebeuf has a reputation beyond repute

Start Cheating against him
Lebeuf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

Vamoooooos

I beat the bastard 6-1 6-4

He turned up 20 mins late today but he was surprisingly well behaved. He still did the crap with the instant serve/long delays, but overall he wasn't too bad. I did use GlennMirnyi's advice on one point when he served when I clearly wasn't ready, hit a drop shot which he reached and then I crushed a backhand straight at his body, he managed to just about get his frame in the way but he gave me a long glare after, I smiled and didn't apologise.

I threw in a few other tricks, I was feeding him nothing balls in the warm up and then started hitting with about 4 times the pace when he was volleying. He wasn't quite sure what was going on. Then when the match started, it was horribly windy so I fed him a shitload of moonballs which were swirling all over the place. Good times
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
country flag Minn

Minn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond reputeMinn has a reputation beyond repute

Good, Adam. Glad you beat him.
Minn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
country flag Sean Light

Sean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond reputeSean Light has a reputation beyond repute

Man, that's awesome. I love when guys like this get whats coming to them!
Sean Light is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post

Dropshot him, doesn't matter how bad it is. Just bring him to the net. Hit a huge shot at him. Don't even pretend you wanted to hit the court. That will make him think twice. Hit as hard as you can - aim for the chest.
That is called the Global solution to this kind of problem, it usually works.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post

Word.

And it works, every time. Playing a lot of mixed, there's a lot of...ah...paybacks. I don't take it personal regardless of if I'm the initial target...or the payback.

Now in ladies, it's the rare opponent that deserves this sort of thing. But I've done it. And don't regret it.

Glad you won, Adam. Served him right.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

props adam

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote