Ever Lost complete confidence in one area of your game? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
country flag stzenit

stzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ever Lost complete confidence in one area of your game?

So when i used to train tennis seriously and had the goal of going pro my backhand,forehand and serve were very good. However after getting injured and being out for a year i play for fun socially and don't train much. This has caused me to lose all my confidence in my backhand.

I used to love hitting my double handed back hand but now i either just push it into court or try to slice it deep(i never sliced when i played seriously) i even have gone through a spell where i chose to hit one handed back hands in some rallies

Has anyone experienced this?

Marat Safin Matches Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaratSafinVideos2
stzenit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
country flag JM-Del-Potro

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever Lost complete confidence in one area of your game?

Yes. Two-handed backhand was my favourite shot. Maybe I focused more on my forehand and lost confidence on my backhand,I can't hit it very strong.

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
JM-Del-Potro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
country flag Serenidad

Serenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond reputeSerenidad has a reputation beyond repute

Forehand. It got to the point where I just started running around any viable FHs to hit my BH.

I would push it. Go long.
I would hit out. Go long.

I even started slicing my FH.

2011 DANIEL BRANDS CHAMPION

Daniel Brands ATP Profile Daniel Brands Facebook Daniel Brands Website Daniel Brands Pictures The Brandwagon
Serenidad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Well when I left high school to go on to my university, I learned that they cut the NCAA D1 tennis team the same year I enrolled so I dropped tennis for a while after playing non-stop USTA tournaments for many years prior. Although I played maybe 20 rec matches through the year, I started playing a lot more often this summer to get back in shape and to quench my competition thirst. And the shot I had totally lost was my forehand. My backhand has always been my better shot, but my forehand wasn't that much worse than my backhand. And when I first stepped on court, I couldn't hit angles worth shit off my forehand. I could send it back to the middle very fine even as deep as the baseline consistently, but that doesn't make you win points, let alone matches. So at the moment, I have had to adjust and force myself to pull off angles by changing how I brush up on the ball for topspin. It has worked, but nothing like my old forehand
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, tennis is such a frustrating game at times. One minute you can be at the top of your game, crushing opponents and seeing the ball like a football then the next minute you can completely forget how to hit the simplest of strokes.

Wish I had the answer, but pretty much the game is 99% mental and you just have to accept that lapses will happen and you have to play your way through it without getting too disheartened.

I can relate to your issue having completely lost my forehand a while back, it went from being a real bullying, aggressive rally shot to a complete mug defensive top spinner. Only just getting my confidence back to really hit through the ball on that side but it's been a real headache to sort out. I also had issues with my second serve into the deuce court, I just completely got the yips on that shot - either dumping it into the bottom of the net or miles long...it was a nightmare.

I'm self taught and think this is one of the benefits to having a great coach to monitor your game - they can spot kinks in your technique early and help to iron them out. This may not apply to you if you've been out of the game for a while, but try perhaps speaking to your club coach or hire one to have a look at your game and I'm sure they will be able to give you some good advice.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
country flag session

session has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond reputesession has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... one summer I got back from holyday and started doubting my ability to even hit the ball which resulted in some terrible training sessions. I actually found it very interesting how important the mental factor is in tennis so I started looking into the matter. If you want some great advice on how to improve the mental game of tennis, you can read my article on squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/mental-aspect-of-tennis
session is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
country flag JM-Del-Potro

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro View Post
Yes. Two-handed backhand was my favourite shot. Maybe I focused more on my forehand and lost confidence on my backhand,I can't hit it very strong.
2 days ago I played with a friend, and I had a powerful two-handed backhand, many winners with that shot!

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
JM-Del-Potro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
country flag borracho

borracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond reputeborracho has a reputation beyond repute

Everything about my game is fine and stable, except my forehand. Technique seems to vary on a daily basis, though it seems to get better lately.
borracho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely my backhand and serve. Both shots are so inconsistent. From day to day, even from shot to shot!

I'll be serving fine all match, then a single double fault and I'm mentally off, and then the serve is shaky the rest of the match. The backhand comes and goes as well. My forehand is the basis of my game, but sometimes I hit my backhand better than my forehand. Then, other days, I can't put a backhand over the net
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

My serve's never been good...usually during matches I'll hit a patch of double faults despite how well I'm serving. Then I slow my serve down when I start missing every first serve and it's not pretty.

I remember a doubles match where literally the other team lobbed us every point...and neither of us could overheads well. We would run back and lob the shot back up. The most frustrating match I've ever played
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
country flag docking34

docking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond reputedocking34 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitup94 View Post
My serve's never been good...usually during matches I'll hit a patch of double faults despite how well I'm serving. Then I slow my serve down when I start missing every first serve and it's not pretty.

I remember a doubles match where literally the other team lobbed us every point...and neither of us could overheads well. We would run back and lob the shot back up. The most frustrating match I've ever played
Yeah, this happened to me in doubles too. IT absolutely sucked because both of us could not return lobs well at all and it didn't help that the fence was really close and the ball always went out of the court. I hate that much.
docking34 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

My serve.

I can't even keep a proper motion correctly consistently.
I had about ten different motions that I switch between in each match.

Lately, I've been doing a Tsonga type motion, and that's helped a lot.
But I'm still not very confident on my serve.
It'll probably get better, as I'm only 15

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,083,768 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 457-145...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

I've changed my BH technique a few times so i dont have any confidence in that shot

sometimes i just slice it back when things get tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitup94 View Post

Lobbing people drives them absolutely bonkers. Especially when preceded by a dropshot.

Not that I EVER do that.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute

im afraid of being behind the baseline!

some idiot likes to hit lobs all the time and they look out, but they are in! and when I am behind it shot dont go in!
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote