problem in my game - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
country flag casabe

casabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default problem in my game

Hi, I have since two weeks a problem. I am an 5.0/5.5 player. My best shot was the forehand, wich was always very consistent and powerful. it was even better in competition. Suddenly in a normal match, i felt like fear, or i dont know...i couldnt it hit anymore. What is strange is that when i am practising (even before a match), I can hit my forehand as always. When the match starts, its impossible for me to do it now. I can hit all the other shots as always in practise AND match (serve, backhand, volley...), its just the forehand.
I just want to know how can I do to gain confidence with that shot again. Training it is not an option, I trained for 3 hours last day and i hit it perfectly

Last edited by casabe : 07-27-2009 at 05:33 AM.
casabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: problem in my game

That´s weird man, maybe something happened. For example, you are a 5.0/5.5 player, a very competitive one, and maybe you are trying to reach the next level that would be very near a very good level, and somehow you can´t find a way to use the forehand in a proper way. Did you used to win a lot of matches, did you changed your forehand recently or what? Just try to chill and hit the forehand, the fear is usually related with fear of making a mistake and with fear you won´t do the movement, your arm will shorten it and the ball will go to the net.

The forehand is like the shot you use the most, and the one you use more to attack, you should trust on it, hit the balls with confidence. Someday you might have a day off, make too much Unforced Errors, but it´s better to try to hit it with pace than just to hit with fear and make net balls or short balls.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
country flag casabe

casabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond reputecasabe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
That´s weird man, maybe something happened. For example, you are a 5.0/5.5 player, a very competitive one, and maybe you are trying to reach the next level that would be very near a very good level, and somehow you can´t find a way to use the forehand in a proper way. Did you used to win a lot of matches, did you changed your forehand recently or what? Just try to chill and hit the forehand, the fear is usually related with fear of making a mistake and with fear you won´t do the movement, your arm will shorten it and the ball will go to the net.

The forehand is like the shot you use the most, and the one you use more to attack, you should trust on it, hit the balls with confidence. Someday you might have a day off, make too much Unforced Errors, but it´s better to try to hit it with pace than just to hit with fear and make net balls or short balls.
yes i know is really weird. I use to win a lot of matches...and i use the pressure as a motivation in tournaments and finals...especially with the forehand. It is still my best shot if you see me NOT playing a match. I havent changed it at all. I have not fear to competition either...i am winning matches eluding my forehand (wich is kind of frustrating) or slicing it and playing with my backhand wich is good too. I know is completely mental...but I dont know how to solve it in a short or long period. It is quite ironic too that this mental weakness came from my forehand side

Last edited by casabe : 07-27-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Well when you can´t play good offensively you can play better defensively, you knwo, try to face a tough opponent and try to use the forehand more as a counter attack than to dictate the points, maybe you are having a bad season for your dictating forehand but could make it better by letting the opponent do the job.
If your forehand was good it is a matter of time until it comes good again, unless you are doing something wrong (bad movement, etc).

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
country flag philippe

philippe is on a distinguished road

I don't know that much about tennis yet, but from my experience in table tennis, I can make a couple of guesses:

Because you're nervous when hitting the shot, you tighten your muscles more then you usually do, so you might need to relax (your arm) more.

Maybe a solution is hitting the big forehand a lot during less important points, when you're a bit more relaxed. If it starts to work like it usually does, just keep hitting it untill you have the confidence tot do it on any point.

Perhaps it's not the same in tennis, but if it is, I hope this helps
philippe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
country flag casabe

philippe and Ilovetheblues_86, thank you very much for the advise. i will try to practise, then play some point without counting and without serving, then some tie brakes and finally a set. I hope that works and gave me confidence
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is a frustrating game and form can come and go for no reason whatsoever. Philippe gave great advice about trying to stay relaxed.

Personally, I try to break down the shot to the absolute bare basics. I've had similar problems to you by the sounds of it with my forehand wing and I just constantly reminded myself simple things like "hit through the ball", "have an intention with the shot, don't be passive", "take the ball on the rise", etc. it can seem quite unnatural to do that, but it works and stops you being lazy with the stroke.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
country flag Heners

Heners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond reputeHeners has a reputation beyond repute

practise on physical aspects aswell not just hitting the ball