From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #46
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

I reckon Marat will beat Pete, no problemo! if only because of Marat's relative youth (around 8.5 years younger) and the fact he's still an active player. What he mustn't do is roll over and let Pete win out of deference to his greatness. I'm sure he knows Pete will want to serve and volley to keep the points short, so he should keep lobbing the guy just for amusement as Pete's famous slam-dunk won't be what it was at 25 either! I guess a lot will depend on how much practice Sampras has put in.

When Clijsters (pushing 26) beat Graf (pushing 40) at the Wimby centre court roof unveiling in May, you could see that, although many elements of Steffi's game were still there, e.g. the rocket forehand and athletic movement, they were sluggish from under-use. Clijsters won because she was physically the fresher. The age gap is admittedly greater between these two, but a gap still counts for something ... in theory ...

Last edited by monkey247 : 07-27-2009 at 02:26 PM.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #47
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

Well put MT! I'm so excited for this match - hopefully it will be a lot of fun and competitive at the same time - I have a feeling it will be. I'll be heading over to the grounds for the first time today, so will see Marat play tonight (both times!) as well as tomorrow night - if he plays wednesday I'll see that too - most likely it'll be doubles. I'll try to log on for updates, pics, etc - but promise to post as many pics as I can get when I return home on Thursday/Friday
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #48
country flag JenAnn

JenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond repute

LA 2009: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2479576...7621857066148/
JenAnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #49
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post
I reckon Marat will beat Pete, no problemo! if only because of Marat's relative youth (around 8.5 years younger) and the fact he's still an active player. What he mustn't do is roll over and let Pete win out of deference to his greatness. I'm sure he knows Pete will want to serve and volley to keep the points short, so he should keep lobbing the guy just for amusement as Pete's famous slam-dunk won't be what it was at 25 either! I guess a lot will depend on how much practice Sampras has put in.
Regardless of his current form Sampras is still the champion and he retired as a champion. Marat on the other hand lost "it" over the last few years. Add Marat's bad form and the expected result of the match is far from "Marat will beat Pete, no problemo". Srsly
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #50
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When Clijsters (pushing 26) beat Graf (pushing 40) at the Wimby centre court roof unveiling in May, you could see that, although many elements of Steffi's game were still there, e.g. the rocket forehand and athletic movement, they were sluggish from under-use. Clijsters won because she was physically the fresher. The age gap is admittedly greater between these two, but a gap still counts for something ... in theory ...
Marat's movement is probably as bad as Sampras, plus Sampras is probably serving better.

Marat only has a backhand and that isn't as good as it once was, not by a long shot.

I doubt he will beat him "no problemo"

I still expect him to win, just because he's still a professional.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #51
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
Regardless of his current form Sampras is still the champion and he retired as a champion. Marat on the other hand lost "it" over the last few years. Add Marat's bad form and the expected result of the match is far from "Marat will beat Pete, no problemo". Srsly
It's liberating to know I don't have to be right! and Marat could lose, of course!

But I'll take mutual civility and playful optimism over arrogance and po-faced pessimism any day.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #52
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the great photos! ... but why the winking smiley? I hope that's not a reference to my super-sized wimbly snaps!
naaah. just that mtf wouldn't have let me upload it if it were so huge

AND MY WHEEZING UNKNOWN PLAYER IS LU!! woot! mystery solved. we were trying to figure out who it was, thought it might be Lu but wasn't sure. Lu practised a little later with Dent too and was doing this weird breathing exercise so you could hear him going HEEEE HEEEEEEEEO HEEEE HEEEEOOO everytime he made his shot. double breathing or something.

and these videos were from the practise session I obviously missed because the tourney organisers didn't see it fit to open the doors at 10am even though they have done so in previous years.
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #53
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratsmaiden View Post
Well put MT! I'm so excited for this match - hopefully it will be a lot of fun and competitive at the same time - I have a feeling it will be. I'll be heading over to the grounds for the first time today, so will see Marat play tonight (both times!) as well as tomorrow night - if he plays wednesday I'll see that too - most likely it'll be doubles. I'll try to log on for updates, pics, etc - but promise to post as many pics as I can get when I return home on Thursday/Friday
MM, I'm SOOOOOOOOO envious and yet happy for you at the same time! It's gonna be a night to remember for sure, and I'm so looking forward to your updates and pics. Hope everyone has a wonderful time!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #54
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I'll take mutual civility and playful optimism over arrogance and po-faced pessimism any day.
excuse me?? Why are YOU reacting like this to my point of view. As you said I don't have to be right too. However accusing another person of arrogance is not what I would call mutual civility. Since it's not the first time you react like this to my posts, I have to ask you, did I offend you in some way? If yes, I apologise, even though it's all still confusing to me because I don't remember being rude to you or it's probably my bad english You were kind once to correct one of my mistakes, so you might know.

Last edited by mer : 07-27-2009 at 04:45 PM.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #55
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

SO wish I was in LA today.. And boo to the tennis channel for not showing these matches.. Live coverage doesn't start until Thursday. (crossing fingers that Marat will still be around then.. )
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #56
country flag monkey247

Quote:
excuse me?? Why are YOU reacting like this to my point of view.
You did not state a point of view, so much as dismiss mine. Clearly my post was intended to be lighthearted. Some of the reactions to it, however, were heavy-handed and personal.

Quote:
As you said I don't have to be right too.
I'm glad we agree, and I'll be relieved (perhaps others will too?) when you find another way of expressing your difference of opinion that does not involve making it personal, quoting out of context and unambiguously slighting another person's contribution, for example "the expected result of the match is far from "Marat will beat Pete, no problemo". Srsly ".

Quote:
However accusing another person of arrogance is not what I would call mutual civility.
Given the above, this was some excuse for "incivility", if indeed I was uncivil.

Quote:
Since it's not the first time you react like this to my posts, I have to ask you, did I offend you in some way?
Not at all, I'm by turns dismayed and amused, rather than offended.

Quote:
I don't remember being rude to you or it's probably my bad english You were kind once to correct one of my mistakes, so you might know.
If you mean your "blah blah blah" remark, I hope I was kind. Many might not have been.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #57
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I replied to you too but I was far from being serious and being pessimistic, I was just pointing out how I think the match will go, I understand that your post was quite light hearted, as most of your posts normally are.

Not that I should care how the much will go anyway, it would just be kind of embarrassing and in a way, symbolic, if he were to lose against Sampras
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #58
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-out View Post
SO wish I was in LA today.. And boo to the tennis channel for not showing these matches.. Live coverage doesn't start until Thursday. (crossing fingers that Marat will still be around then.. )
WHAT!

I was hoping to catch a stream of this match.

arghhhhhhhh
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #59
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
WHAT!

I was hoping to catch a stream of this match.

arghhhhhhhh

Wait - I meant live TV coverage.. Hopefully there will be a stream at least! SORRY!
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #60
country flag Burrow

Well there is light!

Don't know though, if it isn't being shown across there on the tennis channel then I don't know if there will be a stream on the internet.