From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
The way I look at it is, he did play awful in the levine match, throughout, his movement was as bad as I've ever seen an athlete, and he shanked and shanked and shanked until the cows came home on the forehand wing with barely any power. He didn't win slams playing like that. I just don't expect him to win any match anymore.
Unquestionably his level of play throughout the Levine match was not slam quality, but you have to agree, the 2nd and 3rd sets were nowhere near as excruciatingly scattershot as the first. His concentration snapped momentarily into focus during those two sets, even if the tennis wasn't all that pretty. As for his movement, I attributed that not to a lack of fitness, but to an unwillingness to shift his arse around the court and grind out a win if necessary (I could be wrong), and only he knows the reasons for that.

Something tells me Wimbledon officialdom was wise to his mood before the tournament began, which is why he, a 2008 semifinalist, was put in the playpen of Court 18. (and maybe why he duly obliged them by losing) How else to explain the scheduling of JCF v Youzhny on Court 1 opposite? It just doesn't add up.

Quote:
I just don't expect him to win any match anymore.
I don't think he expects to win matches anymore either. But we love him all the same.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

He is Already in L.A. i saw his practice at around 11.30 at the grandstand (second court of the tournament), sorry i wasn't able to take pictures..
I saw him well.
Lets see what he will bring during the week

http://eltenisquenovemos.com.ar
kai. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai. View Post
He is Already in L.A. i saw his practice at around 11.30 at the grandstand (second court of the tournament), sorry i wasn't able to take pictures ... I saw him well. Let's see what he will bring during the week
Thanks, Kai, keep us posted, will you? I hope you have a great time there!

From twitter, one of the tournament drivers with Marat: http://twitter.com/tmdefran/statuses/2850209629

http://twitpic.com/bnhqc

Last edited by monkey247 : 07-26-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

FYI - Marat is playing doubles with Igor - first match will be vs. Baghdatis/Sela.. If they should happen to win that, the BB's are next

Here's the link to the draw sheet

http://www.latennisopen.com/Schedule...219721602.ashx
Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
country flag rica87

rica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond repute

aww that pic is really cute. lucky lady! thanks for posting!

ETA: and finally some curls!
rica87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

He needs that hair cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Cute picture. According to the LA Tennis Open twitter, Marat practiced with Haas today.

Ginepri beat Querrey 6-2 6-4 in Indy today in barely over an hour. I watched the match - Ginepri looked good. He was hitting some nice shots and played good defense. Querrey's usual good serve went missing (6 DF's in the 1st set). Ginepri had not won or even been to a final since he won Indy in 2005. Like this year, he came into that tournament with a losing record (10-14). After his win in '05, he went 27-9 the rest of the year with SF's at Cincy (where he beat Marat), US Open, and Madrid - and finished the year with a career-high ranking. But the circumstances are different this year, so who know what this will mean for the LA match.

Hopefully, we will get lots of hot pics and a good match from Marat this year.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #23
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Monday's OOP is out - Marat's R1 doubles match will follow the exhibition match ("after appropriate rest").

Apparently one Safin match wasn't enough for the LA night crowd.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of buying tix for the night session now. but ticketmaster's not giving me the section I'm eyeing

Last edited by PennyThePenguin : 07-26-2009 at 11:55 PM.
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
country flag monkey247

Karly, thanks so much for all the updates and information, especially on Ginepri. Maybe if Marat could see the doubles match as a way of avenging the recent Davis Cup disaster , he may just find the necessary fire in his belly to stand a chance, realistically, against Robby.

Here's the OOP for in visual form, plus LA Open homepage again: http://www.latennisopen.com/

Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #26
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin View Post
I'm thinking of buying tix for the night session now. but ticketmaster's not giving me the section I'm eyeing
Good luck with that, Penny! I'm horribly jealous of you all out there in LA ...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #27
country flag KarlyM

And apparently 2 Safin night matches really wasn't enough...

The match against Ginepri is scheduled as Tuesday's 1st night match. LA Open twitter
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #28
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post
Good luck with that, Penny! I'm horribly jealous of you all out there in LA ...
bloody ticketmaster. ah well. guess I have to wait till tomorrow morning to call the box office
Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
Scavenger Hunter

bought my ticket! now I'm paranoid I bought the wrong one
Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #30
country flag monkey247

To kill time before Monday night, a couple of practice pics from the 2008 LA Countrywide Classic (as was) on this awesome flickr album by Debstah, which I'm sure everyone has seen already:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah...683684/?page=2

Plus a sweet fan photo from 2007: http://ratednfornasty.wordpress.com/?s=safin

Quote:
He needs that hair cut
No way, it's barely one inch long! Any shorter and we're back to the 2009 Miami "escaped convict" length ... and try running your fingers through that!