From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

It's time to leave Marat's 2009 grass season behind as a beautiful, if all-too-brief memory and start afresh for his final fling on the US hardcourts.

LA Tennis Open homepage: http://www.latennisopen.com/
Live Scores: http://www.protennislive.com/framese...pworldtour.com

Last edited by monkey247 : 07-25-2009 at 08:59 PM.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
country flag rica87

rica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

that's the spirit!

so here's the draw for LA: http://www.latennisopen.com/en/Sched...BFA55AA82.ashx

Marat will face Robby Ginepri in the first round.
rica87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From California Dreamin' to a New York State of Mind ... 2009 summer hardcourts

Wow, I already posted the draw as pdf file, is it not displaying?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
country flag rica87

rica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond reputerica87 has a reputation beyond repute

no, i can't see it.
rica87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
country flag monkey247

A Tale of Marat from the Los Angeles Tennis Center, February 2007, pre-Vegas.

February 21st, 2007 Marat Day!

http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/cl...ws/022107.html

A little blue birdy notifed the Club Tennis Bruins of former World #1 Single's Player Marat Safin's presence on the Los Angeles Tennis Center between the dates of February 20th through the 23rd. Of course, the Club Tennis Bruins took immediate advantage of this information. 3 PM, Safin's estimated time of arrival, witnessed the simultaneous entry of Club Bruins Adeline Yang and Pat Williams. Both had prior commitments for the evening, but -

Who would miss a chance to see Marat Safin?!

Safin arrived much earlier than his hitting partner, however, and soon found himself sitting around on the benches watching UCLA Tennis Men's varsity practice their routine. Williams, in a courageous move, asked Safin if he would like Williams to help warm him up.

"I'm resting," Safin rumbled back in a thick Russian burr.

"Ah," said Williams. "That's cool. I don't want to wear you out or anything before your hitter gets here."

Safin smiled and went back to glaring off into some unknown space.

Club tennis' Emily Wu later informed those present that Safin was hitting with UCLA's very own Zach Fleishman, who had already graduated and currently ranks 100 in the world. Both players will be participating in the Tennis Channel's Las Vegas Tournament this coming weekend. Safin flies out on Friday.

As the minutes ticked by more and more tennis enthusiasts trickled past LATC and, intrigued by the slowly accumulating crowd already present, wandered in closer and were pleasantly thrilled to see Marat Safin on the courts. By the time the clock struck 4:30 PM tennis fans had propagated throughout the LATC stadium and border periphery to watch the Tennis Great practice. Club Tennis' Alyssa Chen meandered over and secretly admitted to a hidden desire for Safin-hugging. Adeline Yang encouraged her to perform an "Alyssa Attack" and overwhelm the unknowing and unprepared Marat. Chen politely declined and continued doing so for the next hour.

After hitting until roughly 5:20 Marat began a grueling conditioning session under the watchful eye of his Spanish-whispering coach and alongside Zach. (Wu later informed the general populace that Marat had trained in Barcelona for a year during his youth). - hello?! - This included footwork conditioning drills, as seen to the right, as well as line drills and corner sprints.

Immediately upon finishing this workout, Safin was besieged by a veritable flood of UCLA fans intent on bombarding the somewhat bewildered 6'4" Safin with photo and autograph requests. Club Tennis particpated in this flurry with guilty pleasure. Emily Wu approached Safin with five tennis balls, while Adeline Yang stood to the side with three rackets she wanted to have signed (two of them belonged to Williams). Safin began to frown, just a tad, which elicited an immediate response from Yang.

"Emily," sighed Yang, "what are you doing making him sign all those balls? At least give him a stick to do it on."

Safin choked and hid a laugh behind a short cough, but smiled nonetheless and finished signing all the balls, rackets, racket bags, and shirts thrust upon him. The UCLA crowd was not through with him yet, however. Next came group pictures. Having had enough for the day, though, Safin walked off the court. Waving goodbye, he offered to his fans: "See you all tomorrow." We most certainly will.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica87 View Post
no, i can't see it.
Hmmm, that's odd coz I can see still it ... Can everyone else? Anyone with techie instincts is certainly welcome to copy and paste it here! Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM View Post
Interesting development from L.A. - what would have been the top 2 seeds at the tournament (Gonzalez and Stepanek) both withdrew. SEE HERE. So if I'm looking at this correctly, based on the current rankings - Haas will be the top seed and Marat will be seeded 8th.
Thanks Karly! just bringing this in from the grass thread ... Well, I suppose, with no players from inside the top 20 at LA, his chances of progressing past the first round have increased slightly. I'll take a single ray of hope over none at all.

maratsmaiden, maybe the sight of you in uggs and not much else will spur him into action! Forget the practice pics, we're now counting on you for his success at the tournament! OK, now you can be nervous ...
Old 07-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad draw - his R1 opponent could of been worse, such as Isner or Levine. Prior to this week in Indy, Ginepri has been a mess this year - 4-13 record and missed 2 months for an appendectomy. He's in the Indy SF's today, but the players he beat weren't anything great - De Chaunac, Schwank, and Bogo. I'm more interested in how he'll do against Isner today. But knowing Marat, he will screw up a nice draw as he always does.

It seems like Davis Cup and the "500" tournament requirement is really screwing up the "250" U.S. HC tournaments. It seems a number of players have pulled out of these events due to injury, and a number of higher ranked players who usually play these are skipping them and going to Washington instead to fulfill their 500 requirement or staying in Europe to play clay events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post
"Emily," sighed Yang, "what are you doing making him sign all those balls? At least give him a stick to do it on."

Safin choked and hid a laugh behind a short cough, but smiled nonetheless
That old story made my day.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM View Post
That old story made my day.
Is this an already famous tale from the Safin Sagas? I just wanted to flesh out what may end up being a very slender hardcourt thread!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know if it's the computer i'm on or what, but I cant seem to open the draw information - either from the link provided above or from the website directly?!? MT - any way you can re-post that pdf? I can't seem to see that either...

Scratch that ^^ - the computer i am on didn't have adobe, and i just downloaded it, so, i'm able to see now

OK friends - I'll do my best to get our boy beyond the 1st round... after that, I take no responsibility

Last edited by maratsmaiden : 07-25-2009 at 06:20 PM.
maratsmaiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

The way he played at Wimbledon, I couldn't see him beating anybody at my club, never mind the ATP tour...

Tough draw, I remember that horrible match he played against Ginepri when he was injured in Cincinatti 05, bad bad memories.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
country flag monkey247

The two occasions Marat's played Ginepri, he was unfortunate to be struggling with injuries. It was really only the first set of the Levine match that he played abysmally, but he's in good physical condition, and if he can hold it together mentally, a win against Ginepri is not beyond the bounds of possibility, is it? Esp. if Ginepri isn't 100% fit himself.

Isner/Ginepri update: Ginepri just won the first set 6-4.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Isner/Ginepri update: Ginepri just won the first set 6-4. :unsure
Not really surprising - Isner played 3 1/2 hours of tennis last night (singles and doubles with a break in between) and he looked tired during the middle of the singles match. It sucks having to play someone in R1 with confidence and recent wins under their belt, but maybe Ginepri will be tired by then. As long as Marat puts up a fight (and no tank!), I'll be fine with it.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
country flag monkey247

A tank is surely out of the question, once he gets a glimpse of maratsmaiden's uggs!

Easy win for Ginepri tonight: 6-4, 6-3.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The two occasions Marat's played Ginepri, he was unfortunate to be struggling with injuries. It was really only the first set of the Levine match that he played abysmally, but he's in good physical condition, and if he can hold it together mentally, a win against Ginepri is not beyond the bounds of possibility, is it? Esp. if Ginepri isn't 100% fit himself.

Isner/Ginepri update: Ginepri just won the first set 6-4.

The way I look at it is, he did play awful in the levine match, throughout, his movement was as bad as I've ever seen an athlete, and he shanked and shanked and shanked until the cows came home on the forehand wing with barely any power.

He didn't win slams playing like that. I just don't expect him to win any match anymore.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote