Roger's cup 2009 - Page 31 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #451
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: o.O* Rogers Cup: Montreal 2009 / QF vs. Tsonga - HOPP! *O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by holagirl56 View Post

Please, please, get this sorted out and win Cincy.
Nah he should stick with his tradition of only winning one HC title, the US Open! Make it 3 times (I think) in a row he's done it that way

In all honesty though I hope he works on some stuff & his concentration particularly, there have been lots of errors this week, and silly ones at silly times. If he is to beat the top, top guys he needs to stop with that, take his chances whether they be bp, sp, mp, when they come, don't mess about with them. That said, he can still sit back from this & say nice week's work considering his time away, 1st tournament back, 15 slams in the bag, kids at home to play with so who really cares about Montreal?

Roger Federer

Always a fan, no matter what
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #452
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

yep, why is he never threatening to even make finals on HC anymore... why always 3 set loses...

its amazing, what is wrong with him on this surface

it didnt even feel to me like he choked. just lost the plot for no reason.
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #453
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by holagirl56 View Post
If Nadal wins the tourney, I'll be glad because then there won't be any "Oh, but he's still injured!!!" excuses.
Indeed, I can't believe how many people are/were buying all the talk of him probably not even being able to make it through one set let alone a match. You know with him if he turns up to play, he turns up to win...it's quite admirable really but there we go. Rafa's knees are the same as they were when he was winning slams & he'll be 100% fine (for him anyway because his knees have always been dodgy but he can still play & win on them) for the US Open.

I'd rather Rafa won this tournament than Murray, in fact I'd love an "injured" Rafa beating Murray in the final, that'd be fun

Roger Federer

Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #454
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Before Montreal started, I was questioning his form on HC and rightly so. He has lost his game on HC but his motivation in HC slams is still there so I do expect him to reach the QF at the USO.

Forget about Cincy though.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #455
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

We have been really spoilt the last weeks and can't ask for much more this season, but it's frustrating to see how Roger lost this match How is it possible that he wasn't able to close out the 3rd set? That was embarassing to witness.

Let's hope for an improvement in the next tournament. At least he got some match practice in Montreal, gained points for the ranking and got used to the new family situation.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #456
country flag fnuf7

I hope he at least keeps his consecutive slam SF record going...at least slams are still best of 5 sets, Roger can have his mental blips & have time to recover. Best of 3 sets suck if you have even one blip of concentraion & that is the main reason, I think anyway, for Roger performing badly in these events in recent times. He loses concentration (usually at the worst possible time in the match like a bp, sp or serving for the match etc) & gets severely punished in these 3 setters...it can be over before he's even got out of his mental blip phase. 5 sets gives you a chance to go through it & come back again (see: RG matches against Haas, Del Potro etc)

Undoubtedly GM is full of "Fed will never win another title", "Fed's a choker" & all that but Is till put Roger as favourite for the US Open, over 5 sets I still think he is the best in the world at finding a way to win. At least with this kind of performance perhaps everyone else will think someone else is the favourite so all the pressure will be off Roger at the USO.

Roger Federer

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #457
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
Before Montreal started, I was questioning his form on HC and rightly so. He has lost his game on HC but his motivation in HC slams is still there so I do expect him to reach the QF at the USO.

Forget about Cincy though.
I dont even think he should show his face in Cincinnati if this is how he is going to treat these events

never seen such a despicable lack of respect to an opponent and arrogance as he had at 5-1, just started trying to hit shots for his 'top10 funhouse federer' youtube clips - thought he had it won already .. rather than closing it out and getting ready for a semi final tomorrow. by 5-5 he couldnt even put the ball in court
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #458
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
I dont even think he should show his face in Cincinnati if this is how he is going to treat these events

never seen such a despicable lack of respect to an opponent and arrogance as he had at 5-1, just started trying to hit shots for his 'top10 funhouse federer' youtube clips - thought he had it won already .. rather than closing it out and getting ready for a semi final tomorrow. by 5-5 he couldnt even put the ball in court
Oh he will show his face to get more match practice, produce a few trick shots and then fade. USO is where serious business begins.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #459
country flag holagirl56

holagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnuf7 View Post
Undoubtedly GM is full of "Fed will never win another title", "Fed's a choker" & all that but Is till put Roger as favourite for the US Open, over 5 sets I still think he is the best in the world at finding a way to win. At least with this kind of performance perhaps everyone else will think someone else is the favourite so all the pressure will be off Roger at the USO.
LOL, GM has had it pretty hard the last two months with Federer winning everything. They finally got what they were thirsting for and did not hold back on their bitterness. Last year was wayyyy worse in terms of results with Fed losing 2nd round, 3rd round in slams and he was proclaimed "done." The guy will definitely be back for Slams, but I'd like him to at least try and win a few more masters.

The game obviously needs a lot of work at the moment. His first serve was frustrating, forehand and backhand seemed to disappear, and he inexplicably missed easy shots. What's missing the most right now is his intensity. I never got any sense of urgency or importance from him and when he was up he would often play "cute" shots rather than go for the kill. One page he could take out of Nadal's book is to play every point like match point and never relent. He's been in this situation far too many times.

I still have hope for Cincy and think he can turn it around there; if not, I'd like at least a semifinal result. It's important to see where his game is against the other three. No one expected him to win Madrid, but he (somehow) did it.

I'm glad I'm this mad over his loss. Most of the tournament when watching his matches I was pretty cool because I felt he'd won everything. Watching tennis is no fun if you're not into it.
holagirl56 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #460
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger's official interview is out:

August 14, 2009

J. TSONGA/R. Federer

7 6, 1 6, 7 6

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. An adjective to describe what happened if you can, Roger? How do you describe that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it happens in tennis. It's never over until it's over. It showed today.
I thought it was a very up and down match, obviously. I think I should have won the first and he completely lost his game for an hour there, you know, through the second, the third.
It was unfortunate I couldn't serve it up.

Q. Do you feel when you wonder if your opponent is injured that it's hard to stay in it in that moment?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I'm used to playing so many matches that that stuff doesn't bother me, you know.
He didn't look injured to me. He was just not serving very well, you know. If that then had something to do with his arm or whatever from him falling, I don't know. No, I was just trying to focus on the match and trying to close it out.

Q. Was it windy? Because the serve...

ROGER FEDERER: No. Yeah, I mean, I didn't serve well in the first serve, but I still thought I should have maybe won it. We had a fun tiebreaker. Then his serve completely went off.
But it wasn't too windy out there. Actually it was quite surprising.

Q. Are there any elements of last year when you came in and against Simon, maybe you hadn't played enough after Wimbledon. This year you had a longer rest. Does anything like that...

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, now you talk like this. If I would have won, you don't talk like this. Obviously it's the same for me.
All in all I thought it was a decent match. I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't great, either. It's one of those matches I can live with, you know.
Of course I hope I get through them, especially being up a double break and stuff. So it's obviously disappointing, but you know, that's what Jo does. He doesn't make a return for three hours, and then he puts in a few and then all of a sudden he gets back into the match.
I never should have allowed it, but it did happen so it's a pity.

Q. What do you take overall from the tournament and the three matches you got in here?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I thought it was fine. It was great to get some matches in, you know, ahead of Cincinnati and at the US Open, but you know, my goal wasn't really just to play matches here and sort of show up and do press conferences, you know. That was not the point of the whole the whole trip here was trying to do well and trying to win the tournament.
So obviously I didn't reach that, but it's fine, you know. I've had a lot happening the last few months and so it's not a complete disappointment, because I still thought I played all right.

Q. What will you look to improve for in Cincinnati?

ROGER FEDERER: Closing out a match like that. (laughter.)
You can't really work on that, you know. But just go out in the practice courts, you know. Try to work on a few things and just make sure to get off a good start over there, because conditions are different again.
Who knows? Maybe it will be warmer, maybe more windy, different opponents, different draw. So it's not easy. You know, those Masters Series you can see look at the draw today. Top eight players are left, so obviously it's always hard to win any kind of matches like this.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing next week as well.

Q. If you forget the first set, it's 6 1, 5 1, can you recall letting one get away like that that you've dominated for that long a period?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, you know, in the moment it just happens. You just try to go game by game, point by point. Next thing you know you're up after you're disappointed, you know, you lost the first set. I thought I should have won that.
Then I'm up 5 1 and I end up finding myself at 5 All 10 minutes later. It was a tough match to sort of go through, you know, because either it was very close or very one sided. That didn't make it easy on the rhythm, obviously.

Q. How difficult a player is he? You played him before, but what are the real challenges for you? Is it streakiness?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, if I look at this match, I guess so, but I think he can do better than that, you know. I don't think he's just a streaky player; otherwise he wouldn't be top 10 in the world.
He's got a wonderful serve. His first serve is great. It's hard to read. It's got great pace. He's a great athlete, you know. He's got a good forehand too, and that makes him a dangerous player.
I definitely think he's got, you know, much more potential to find in his game to even become a better player, but he's done very well already thus far, and I'm sure we'll see him much more in the future.

Q. What was going through your head as the games kept slipping away at the end of the third?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think I got off bad starts on all of my service games towards the end. I think I was down maybe Love 30 in each service game. That was a problem for me.
If I maybe just get off 15 Love, 30 15 kind of game, then things might look different, you know. But I didn't, so I had to scramble each time and have to start playing safe a little bit, and that's exactly kind of what he needed because otherwise I was just going to hand it over to him.
This way, you know, he made me work for it and he did well to come back. It's not something I go through very often, being up 5 1 and ending up losing, get broken back to back after having not broken especially throughout the whole match.
It's tough, you know, but you're still in it with a chance. But in both tiebreaks I served horribly, and I guess that cost me the match in the end.

Source: http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/interviews.php
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #461
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty frustrating to watch that 3rd set ... but I'm prepared to cut Roger some slack. I don't think mentally or physically he was really ready for this tournament - no matter what he said publically or thought to himself. I never believed he'd get as far as the s/f anyway.

Missing his training in Dubai and spending 3 weeks in a private clinic with Mirka for the birth of their twins (even if he did get on the practice courts) can't be the ideal preparation. Its been a pretty momentous 2/3 months for him both professionally and personally so I won't join those who are being harsh on him.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #462
country flag MalwareDie

MalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond repute

To me, it was a masterful tank disguised as a choke.
MalwareDie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #463
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

I only saw the first two sets and left as I felt Roger would be cruising. So I can really comment on what happened. But I can't exclude the thought that Masters tourneys are not longer at the very top of Roger's priorities. This in itself is not a big deal, but it also raises other players' confidence of being able to beat him.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #464
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute

He shouldn't have bothered with both Monte Carlo and Montreal tournaments.
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #465
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
We have been really spoilt the last weeks and can't ask for much more this season, but it's frustrating to see how Roger lost this match How is it possible that he wasn't able to close out the 3rd set? That was embarassing to witness.

Let's hope for an improvement in the next tournament. At least he got some match practice in Montreal, gained points for the ranking and got used to the new family situation.
Yes, Doris. I really thought he would win~~The third set was very embarassing!

I hope Tsonga wins the whole tournament!

Also, I hope Roger can get it together by Cincinnati

(Looks like Roddick is taking down D'joker)

But I am scared of making any more predictions.

Luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote