2009 Fall Hardcourt Thread - Page 167 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #2491
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Fall Hardcourt Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I think friends and family supports are quite different from supports in your profession. That’s how I see it anyway. We both agree that Tutu hasn’t done enough to fix Gilles’ self-belief problem. However, I still think supportive and understanding are important in those fragile moments, despite the fact that it didn’t help fix the issue.
Then we should agree that getting another coach who could treat the cause of the problem and not only smoothen its symptoms wouldn't be a bad idea. I think I've already said it on here, I don't think his main problem is a matter of self-belief, actually it's a bit of the opposite; he set up too high expectations on himself since he became a toptener, get frustrated when his playing doesn't meet those expectations, lose the plot and ultimately the match; something that rarely happens when he was lower ranked and didn't care much for beautiful game and stuff, as long as it worked.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2492
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Fall Hardcourt Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
Then we should agree that getting another coach who could treat the cause of the problem and not only smoothen its symptoms wouldn't be a bad idea.
I don't agree on sacking Tutu, but if he can add another coach to his entourage, I wouldn't object .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
I don't think his main problem is a matter of self-belief, actually it's a bit of the opposite; he set up too high expectations on himself since he became a toptener, get frustrated when his playing doesn't meet those expectations, lose the plot and ultimately the match; something that rarely happens when he was lower ranked and didn't care much for beautiful game and stuff, as long as it worked.
Failing to meet his own expectation probably contribute to him doubting himself a bit, hence, the self-belief problem kicks in. But I know what you mean, and I do agree. I don't think he cares much for beautiful game now either, he just knew that he needs more game to consistently challenge top players, and getting more aggressive is just necessary because you can't win a big tournament playing long matches one after the others. A lot of things contribute to the epic slump in spring, but end result was the self-doubt. I think when he was getting a bit defensive when ppl asked him about his top 10 status in the summer, it really sounded a bit like he was trying to convince himself that he belongs. But now, he's optimistic about getting back to that level and sounded a lot more confident that he will. I think he finally managed to put thing into perspective, and the injury has helped him focus on the tasks instead of wasting energy to think too much/care too much about what others think. I'm really feeling good about his chance to get back to top 10 next year, new coach or not, bar any injury of course.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote