Article : Safin furious at Mats Wilander - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Article : Safin furious at Mats Wilander

Not sure if this belongs here, but if it doesn't, then it will get turfed out.

First of all Mats Wilander made Federer and some of his fans pissed off when he said that Federer lacked balls in the first RG final against Nadal. Not sure if this link works here is the video of that.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...nsFinalwmv.flv

Now he has pissed Marat Safin off, with comments relating to Dinara Safina's efforts in GS finals. Is Marat just being the over protective brother or the fact that what Wilander said was too close to the truth in the comments?

Maybe it depends on how people like their commentators as well.

The original links in Swedish, with a summary, the first one is Safin's comments, then the second are Wilander's response.

http://www.svd.se/sportspel/nyheter/artikel_3209357.svd

Safin furious at Wilander

Former world #1 Marat Safin is furious at former trainer Mats Wilander.

"We worked together for a year and I think he should at least show my family some respect" said the Russian. It was at todays press conference after the loss to Nicolas Almagro where Safin went on the counterattack against the Swedish DC captain.

SVD asked Safin whether he followed Dinaras career at close quarters and what he thinks that she is lacking to win a GS title.

"She is world number 1 and there is a lot of pressure for her. She has still been in 3 GS finals and I think that it can come together and she can win one, said Safin and continued. "I was shocked when I saw the Paris final on TV and heard how Wilander on Eurosport totally put her down. He only points out how good he was and how simple he thinks it is to play a GS final and I was very indignant.

"His career was over a long time ago and now he is only a commentator. I can't understand how he can speak like he did. He didn't show Dinara the smallest respect and didn't say a word about how she became number one".

Have you spoken to Wilander about it?

"No, what good would it do, said the two time GS winner who will retire this season and only has 8 tournaments left.

After tennis?

"I don't know, but I will not be a coach. I am tired of tennis".

http://www.expressen.se/sport/1.1641...-pinsamt-dalig

Wilander : She was embarrasingly bad

Bĺstad: Controversial Russian Marat Safin 29 has started a surprisingly big row in Bĺstad

He directed his anger towards his former trainer, Swedish tennis icon Mats Wilander.

"Mats showed no respect towards me and my family", said Safin
"I stand for what I believe in, " said Wilander

Wilander : I stand for all I said

World #1 Dinara Safina 23, the younger sister to the former world number one Marat Safin, has been in 3 GS finals and lost all of them.

After the latest loss at RG some weeks ago, she was harshly criticised by Eurosports expert commentator, former tennis star Mats Wilander.

Her brother Marat Safin was strongly indignant at the press conference in Bĺstad. "He only points out how good he was and how simple he thinks it is to play a GS final and I became pissed off".

Standing firm by the criticism

"His career was over a long time ago and now he is only a commentator. He should show my family more respect", said Safin about his former trainer Wilander.

When Sport Expressen caught up with Mats Wilander, he stood firm on the criticism and continued on about Dinara Safin.

"I don't really understand why Marat is pissed off. I have the right to an opinion as anyone else.

"The fact is Safina can't handle the pressure. It's Ok, not to be able to handle the pressure, but at least come with a game that is fairly good and don't look at your coach after every fucking point" says Mats Wilander.

"She is very skilful at tennis and is world number one, but her mentality is too poor. It's embarrassing to look at. I think it's so fantastically bad that someone had to say something".

"Only I who dared"

When Marat Safin heard what Wilander said, he became even more pissed off.

"He should keep quiet. He is only a commentator and should be politically correct". Wilander replied, "I absolutely don't regret what I said. The facts are that she has been involved in three poor finals, when all said and done, but I am the only one who dared to say it aloud".

"I am a professional media reporter and when I see a match where the players toil away and fight and not when she is half crying through the whole match".

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article : Safin furious at Mats Wilander

Wilander is telling the truth. She's been shit in the finals.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 474-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Mats talks sense and I could see during RG that women's tennis bores him shitless.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Mats talks sense and I could see during RG that women's tennis bores him shitless.
As it does to most people. Mats can say what he said if he wants to. It's truth.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 474-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, he wasn't the most talented player ever but what he did was develop a mental game that was one of the best of all time.

For him to see people with gifted talent but lack any sort of balls and behave like a brat when they're not winning must really piss him off.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

It is the truth and nothing but the truth and Marat is pissed off cuz he's also a mental case. He should STFO and retire. Now.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
country flag GrosjeantheGreat

GrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGrosjeantheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Allez Mats!

Mats v Safin in ze UFC?
GrosjeantheGreat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Many of these commentators do cross a line at times. Mats was right though, she as not been very good in finals. There is a way to say that though that's not disrespectful.

Maybe Marat should just ask Mats how it went for him at Wimbledon.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is not what he says but the way that he says it
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
Maybe Marat should just ask Mats how it went for him at Wimbledon.
Nice try, but Wilander already admitted that he didn't believe he could play Wimbledon and had no balls when it came to this event. He knew how to win GS finals for all his foibles.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... I could see during RG that women's tennis bores him shitless.
Nobody forces him to comment women's matches, if he doesn't want to.

Davai, Dinara, make him shut up.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Nobody forces him to comment women's matches, if he doesn't want to.

Davai, Dinara, make him shut up.
Er yes they do or Eurosport would be considered impartial and not showing equal coverage, they have to ask him stuff.

Hopefully Mats will bash Gasquet's mentality and piss you off even more.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Nice try, but Wilander already admitted that he didn't believe he could play Wimbledon and had no balls when it came to this event. He knew how to win GS finals for all his foibles.
Exactly and there were plenty of commentators giving him crap about it too. How quickly we forget.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
Exactly and there were plenty of commentators giving him crap about it too. How quickly we forget.
The facts are he wasn't the best of his generation and still got the job done in GS finals, something Dinara hasn't and she has been woeful in those finals. The sentiment of what he said was exactly right, it is something he knows about.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Er yes they do or Eurosport would be considered impartial and not showing equal coverage, they have to ask him stuff.
He is not the only person in the world able to comment a tennis match, is he? And he certainly gets paid for it, so if you don't like yout job, look for another one.

Quote:
Hopefully Mats will bash Gasquet's mentality and piss you off even more.
What does Gasquet have to do with Wilander's comments about Dinara and Marat's reaction to it?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote