College Tennis: General Talk & News- 2011 Pre-season Talk/Make your predictions - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #136
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: College Tennis Official Thread

The SEC is so deep this year. Ole Miss may struggle. Georgia,Florida,Alabama,Tennessee and Kentucky may all be better.

Cal upset Stanford last week.

UVA won the indoor title, they are looking very very good. Can they get over the NCAA hump this year?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #137

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

This is insane, Virginia has the top 2 players in the country in the latest rankings. Sanahm Singh is #1 and Michael Shabaz at #2. Ironically Shabaz playes 1 position at UVA while Singh plays 2.
Overall 8 UVA players have a ranking.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #138

Clemson won a battle vs Miami on Saturday. Nearly 6 hours, 5 of the 6 matches went to 3 sets. And Clemson was victorious, winning 4-3. Rigsby with the clinch at position 5.

14-0

Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #139
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

#2 Tennessee 4 - #20 Wake Forest 3

This was a real sad loss for the Deacs. Anytime being up 3-1 and having the chance to beat a #2 team is tough to take. However, the Demon Deacons, IMO, looked like they might have one of the best teams in the school's history this year. With 3 freshman in the top 6 making up for the absence of Cory Parr is very exciting. However, those 3 freshman did essentially cost the Deacs this match thanks to bad doubles play from the #12 team of Forman/Atkinson. Alright, let's get to it now...

DOUBLES
#1- (#12) Forman/Atkinson vs. #3 Smith/D. Sandgren

This Tennnessee doubles team played up to there ranking. They just got the job done and played very smart doubles. Atkinson was the achilles heal for the duo of Wake. He and Forman got a break back finally to get to 4-5 after many missed backhand returns from Atkinson, but a D.F. on Forman's serve on game point the next game lead to a break and then the match for the Vols. Not good doubles all-around from the Deacs.

The only other doubles win Wake had was from the 3 spot where freshman Tripper Carleton and Jon Wolff blantantly outmatch T. Sandgren and his partner.

SINGLES!

#1- freshman #77 Tripper Carleton vs. #2 or #3 J.P. Smith

Honestly this match was kind of boring. Really long points and no signs of firepower. Smith's game revolved around hitting deep balls that had an interesting kick to them that hopefully would setup a short ball for him. The freshman Tripper Carleton struggled to simply win games after having 2 BP's in the opening game. Tripper looked unsettled and unconfident with easy short balls. He got more and more aggravated with his inability to dominate play. I think this made him more tentative from the baseline and he started playing to Smith's pace in the first set. 6-1 to Smith.

In the second, Tripper somehow took it 7-5. He played a little smarter and went for a few forehands when the court was open.

I didn't get to see the third, which Smith took 6-3.

SUMMARY: In all, I don't think Smith will end the year in the top 10. He gives you the chance to hit a bigger ball back to setup the point. He does make you WIN the point though, and his rally balls and kind of awkward to return.

Tripper looks VERY solid for a freshman. He will be a huge contribution to this program.

#2- Forman vs. Tennessee guy

The senior Steve Forman was just too hot to handle for this little player from UT. Forman won 61 64 with booming forehand's that made UT scared and huddle up behind the baseline. I believe Forman could have beaten J.P. Smith at #1. Being a big guy, Forman could have handled Smith's deep balls and easily dictated pace and put away the slower balls from Smith.

#3- Wolff vs. Ryano Williams(may have completely failed at getting that name right)

This UT guy looked like he never cared. Took a lot of heat from the Wake Forest peanut gallery also. He was just blasting balls out every so often and Wolff's grind-it-out style of play wasn't what Ut wanted at all. The 5' 6" Wolff took it 63 63.

#4- #1_ _ Iain Atkinson vs. freshman sensation Tennys Sandgren

Atkinson was day and night better in singles than in doubles. I was amazed by his improvement from last year. Sandgren was very frustrated that there was no weakness to pick on with Atko's game. Atkinson's backhand, defensively and offensively, was a thing of beauty. Sandgren could definitely hit the ball well, but Atko's power and consistency and incapability of missing anything was too much for the semester-early freshman. Atkinson 64 60.

I am getting tired. This freshman for Wake, Zach Leslie, won the first set all while trying to party with the Wake team in the stands. He didn't have much left and they went to a 3rd set, which UT took and was a must win for the Vols. Leslie is very talented though, also a semester-early freshman. He will be good for Wake.

At #6, freshman Danny Kreyman was pounded in the deciding match 62 62. He has some game and hits a good ball, but I was extrememly dissapointed that senior Jason Morgenstern didn't get the call in a type of match like this.

It was very fun to see two great teams like this. Wake will definitely be much better than #20 in the nation, Tennessee isn't as good as #2. Wake's doubles will hold them back of being a top 10 team. It was fun to see the #1 junior in the U.S. play(Tennys Sandgren) as well as a #1 college player(John-Patrick Smith) play.

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #140
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

What up guys I am back.

Take a look at my Wake-Tennessee recap^^

I am extremely disappointed in wake, not cuz of the UT loss though. Friday, they went to LSU and they were up 2-0. I looked at the livescore and they were in control of all of the other 5 singles matches except for one at 4, which Wake lost in a first set breaker. So say good, finally a solid road out-of-conference win. Then I look on there website later and they lose 4-3!

I think Forman, a deserving senior who is undefeated or close to it this year, should play 1. He has the weapons to beat anyone. It's really frustrating to see a team lose when the 3 freshman in the lineup all lose They have started putting senior Morgenstern at 6 now, which is a good move. So 6-4 moving into ACC play when we should be 7-3 or better. I believe we are a top 10 team

JBlock Forever
Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #141

Hey Ozone good to have you back.

Wake lost to LSU? That's a bad loss, LSU isn't all that good this year.

Clemson got blasted by FSU for the first loss of the season. Our schedule was pretty weak and we started 15-0, but I was expecting a better fight vs FSU. 7-0 FSU

Our best wins thus far are beating Miami 4-3 and beating William and Mary 4-3.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #142
country flag Ozone

Oh yeah they lost at 1,4,5,6, all after winning the first set. Ridiculous. At least it isn't in conference though. I honestly think that Wake can give virginia a test this year. That sounds absolutely ridiculous but Jeff Zinn has found a really smart doubles lineup and Forman is insane at #2 and Wolff- #3(who lost to USC leading 5-3 in 3rd set tiebreaker but received a game penalty) has the game to beat anybody and #4 Iain Atkinson is very talented.

JBlock Forever
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #143
country flag Ozone

Btw, I might be in a tournament at Clemson University in Greer in early May

JBlock Forever
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #144

I think Duke is probably the 2nd best team in the ACC. They have a poor record because of their murderous schedule, but they are coming off of a win over USC. Freshman Cunha is deadly as #1. Duke is strong.

I think the ACC is as follows:

1. UVA
2. Duke
3. FSU
4. Wake
5. VT
6. GT
7. UNC
8. Clemson
9. Miami
10. NC State
11. Boston College
12. Maryland

Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #145
country flag Ozone

Pre-conference predictions! Heck yeah. Alright here is my prediction.

1) UVA - not even fair
2) Wake
3) Duke
4) FSU
5) UNC
6) VT
7) GT
8)Clem
9)UM
10) NC state
11) Maryland
12) Boston College

JBlock Forever
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #146

Big game tomorrow for Clemson vs South Carolina. This is a payback match. In 2008 at Chuck Kriese's final home game as Clemson coach(1976-2008, has most ACC titles of any coach) South Carolina destroyed Clemson. After winning the doubles point Clemson was blasted on all 6 singles courts. Tomorrow is the final time Clemson will face the Gamecocks legendary coach Kent DeMars. It is also the final time we will play against the Brazil trio of Cubas,Campos and Machado for the Gamecocks. Payback

Big match: 33 Clemson vs 48 South Carolina

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #147
country flag Ozone

I got USC 5-2. They are a nasty team

JBlock Forever
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #148

Let me see (predictions):

Doubles point USC: I am not confident in oir doubles teams right now, the #1 team of Alvarez and Bolona is not very strong at all for #1.

Singles #1: 73 Cubas def Alvarez: Match of the day, 2 real grinders will go at it in a tense 3 setter. Cubas is a bit better and I expect him to win. Plenty of controversy in this match as well

#2: 125 Campos def Difazio: Rout win for Campos, not sure why Difazio is #2.

#3: Galloway def Kostanov: Galloway is Clemson's sure win every match. He lost at FSU but he is a very reliable and mentally tough player. A little bit over his head at #3 because of the injury to Bizjak, but I expect him to beat Kostanov who is on a big losing skid.

4 and 5 are tossups. Moran and Rigsby(both former #1's in state of SC) have been playing well. This is the weaker part of USC's team, we could pull both.

6: Defeat for Clemson. There is no relaible 6 right now for us. Either Borachinskiy or Bolona will play it, maybe Dettinger. Borachinskiy has been a big letdown this year, he is a senior and was as high as #2 on team his sophomore year and defeated Dom Inglot of UVA once. This year he is not very good.

Overall: I say 4-3 USC

Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #149

48 South Carolina def 33 Clemson 5-2

1: Cubas def Alvarez 6-2 7-6(3): Real grinders match. Players are clones of one another but Cubas has a better backhand. I thought Carlos would give a closer match. He served for 2nd set at 5-4 but was broken and Cubas took the match.

2: Campos def. DiFazio 6-0 7-5: The 1st set was a whitewash which I expected. Campos is just way too good at the #2 position. DiFazio took a 4-2 lead in the 2nd set but was never going to win, Campos's level had just drooped a bit.

3: Galloway def. Cressoni 6-1 6-4: Galloway continues to steamroll opponents. He just dosen't lose to players that are below his level. No screwing around from him.

4: Kostanov def Moran 6-2 6-2: The baffling match of the day. I thought Moran would win, but he was beaten to a pulp by a player who was on a 7 match losing skid. Can't explain this one.

5: Machado def Rigsby: 6-3 7-6: Didn't see much of this match because it was on the very far court. Had an epic tie-break in set 2.

6: Bolona def Pulsfort: 7-5 5-7 6-0: Bolona has potential for sure. A great win for him. This was a hard-hitting match, both players can really hit their forehands well. This match was higher quality than many of the higher courts.

Overall a letdown. The team didn't seem to have the same fire as they have been having this year. Things don't get any easier, 3 game road trip coming up. at wake, at NC State and at GT. Hopefully we can get Bizjak back by then.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #150
country flag Ozone

What did I say

Sorry man, but you cant expect to win big non-conference matches when you play a cakewalk of a schedule.

JBlock Forever