2009 schedule/cheering threads - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #61
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juan's 09 Cheering Thread - Auckland's Champion .. Next: Australian Open

I watched a few bits and pieces and quite frankly it wasn't an easy match for Juan...

The important thing is Juan advanced to the fourth round of the Australian Open.
Getta is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #62
country flag skywater

skywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juan's 09 Cheering Thread - Auckland's Champion .. Next: Australian Open

next opponent is Cilic
tough again
skywater is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #63
country flag skywater

skywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond reputeskywater has a reputation beyond repute

THE MODERATOR: Happy with the way you served today?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, of course. Always is good to win the match. I'm happy to be in the 16. So I was try to keep alive in the tournament.

Q. I think you only had four breakpoints throughout the four sets.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, well, he served very good. In important points he made good service volleys.

I never can do nothing with his serve. Finally I broke his serve in 5‑All, and then I close the match with my serve.

Q. Are you excited about the prospect of playing Cilic in the next round?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: He's a very good player. He won last week in Chennai, and his game improve a lot.

But I have to do my game and just think in my mind and my things and try to do my best.

Q. The two of you, many people believe you're the two rising stars in men's tennis. Do you think this will be the first of many meetings against each other?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: We don't know. I don't think about that. If I can't be better, if I lose, I will be happy with my tournament.

Q. He said that he had played you in the juniors twice and you had beaten him twice. Do you remember those matches?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, I remember. But we were younger. Now we have twenty years and the life change too much. So we don't know what can happen on Sunday.

Q. You had an excellent 2008. The youngest player to get in the top 10. Is that form carrying on now? Are you playing as well as you were last year?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, I'm playing good since last year. But I need to play better if I want to beat Nadal, Federer, Murray, or Djokovic. I'm not going to beat them if I'm still missing breakpoints or missing volleys or whatever.

Q. Do tennis writers make too much of rivalries between young people?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I don't like to play against Argentinians. Djokovic, Nadal played many, many times, and hopefully I will play with Cilic many times also. So we start a new promise, and we will see what can I do on Sunday.

Q. How good can he be, do you think?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Me or him?

Q. Cilic, yeah.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, very good. He has everything to be a good player. His service, his movement, his forehand. He will be top 10, very close.

Q. How good do you think you could be?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, don't know what can I do. I'm top 10 right now, but I want to be many years in the top.

Q. Do you think you two are the most capable of breaking in and challenging the top four?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, I don't think so. He's playing very good. I'm playing good too, but we never know where could I be in three months, or him. We just have to work and keep improving.

Q. Can you talk a little bit your new Davis Cup captain and what you think he brings to the table?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: He's a good person. He has a lot of experience in Davis Cup. We are happy with the captain.

Q. What do you think he brings to the table? How can he help the team?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't speak too much with him because I don't have time. He's very good. He has good players in his team, so I have to try to win Davis Cup for the first time.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #64
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond repute

THANKS

http://eltenisquenovemos.com.ar
kai. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #65
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...692109265.html

Starting point

Friday 23 January 2009
By Eleanor Preston

The beauty of the Australian Open is that each year it produces names that are new to most of those who come to watch the tennis at Melbourne Park. Neither Marin Cilic nor Juan Martin Del Potro has exactly slipped into the draw unnoticed but, as much as they have both been talked about within tennis circles as part of the next wave of young players poised to make a breakthrough, they are still relatively new faces to the rest of the world.

By the time they have finished playing each other in the fourth round on Sunday, one of them will be an Australian Open quarterfinalist – a statement of the blindingly obvious perhaps, but also acknowledgment of an important benchmark in a player’s career. Del Potro has already got that far, at last year’s US Open, while Cilic has now made the fourth round of the Australian Open for the second year running. Del Potro is marginally ahead of Cilic in the rankings – up to a career-high mark of No.6 – and has the added experience behind him gleaned by being part of Argentina’s charge to the Davis Cup final last year. Yet there is not much to choose between these two contemporaries from junior days.

Both of them have grown rather a lot since then, and now each stands at 198cm tall. Should they happen to stand on each other’s shoulders, they would be around the same height as the average telegraph pole. That fact alone should make it an interesting encounter, as will the likelihood that we could see these two play again in the future when they are both likely to be in the running for Grand Slam titles. “I mean, of course, Del Potro had a really good end of last year. This year also he started very well,” said Cilic after knocking out 11th seed David Ferrer with an impressive 7-6(5) 6-3 6-4 win on Friday. “But I think I have my own way, a little bit different than him. He jumped there earlier than me. But I think I'm gonna ‑ I have things to work on always, and I'm gonna have my chances to get to the top 10 for sure. I think he has a good all‑around game. He doesn't spend too much energy when he's playing. He has a huge serve, which helps him to win easier and comfortable with the points. So I think he's gonna be there and stick around in the future, too.”

Cilic is right to regard playing Del Potro as a difficult assignment. The Argentine – who is 20, like Cilic – won the Heineken Open title in Auckland last week and seems to have picked up the new season where he left the old one, namely in a purple patch of form. The same, however, might be said of Cilic, who took the Chennai Open in the first week of the year and so comes into the tournament in excellent nick. “He's playing very good. I'm playing good too, but we never know where I could be in three months, or him. We just have to work and keep improving,” said Del Potro. “I'm playing good since last year but I need to play better if I want to beat Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray or Novak Djokovic. I'm not going to beat them if I'm still missing break points or missing volleys.”

Del Potro and Cilic are still in a relatively raw state as tennis players but, like Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray before them, they will learn plenty as they push further towards the top of the game. Whatever the outcome of Sunday’s match, it will be another day at school for them both.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #66
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article and for the win!
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #67
country flag Getta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Nice article and for the win!
The article below is even nicer. I post it on this thread because it refers to the upcoming fourth round match.

==================================================

From today's (London) Times:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5571731.ece

From Times Online
January 23, 2009

Triumphs for Marin Cilic and Juan Martin Del Potro sets up coruscating tie

Neil Harman, Tennis
correspondent, Melbourne

The patter of giant feet was heard across Melbourne Park yesterday as Marin Cilic and Juan Martin Del Potro, two players born within five days of each other in 1988, strode towards the fourth round meeting that will further emphasise that men's tennis is for very big people with very big games.

The Croat and the Argentinian have each collected one of the five titles that were available on the ATP World Tour before the Australian Open; Cilic in Chennai, Del Potro in Auckland. It is safe to say that, along with Andy Murray they were on the hottest streaks coming into this grand slam tournament and from here, something will have to give. It promises to be a coruscating experience.

Cilic defeated David Ferrer, the No 11 seed from Spain, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4; Del Potro upset Gilles Muller, the big-serving left hander from Luxembourg in four sets. Both men are 6ft 6in tall, both speak particularly quietly, they do not have huge egos to go with their huge frames. The winner tomorrow will have gone deeper than ever before in this championship.

One is tempted to suggest that one of them, perhaps both, have it in them to go all the way in one of the majors. Del Potro's quarter-final with Murray at the US Open last September tends to be overlooked amid the more eye-catching matches the British No 1 played against Rafael Nadal in the semi-final, Roger Federer in the final, even the third round in which Jurgen Melzer took the Scot to the brink, but it was right up there in terms of quality and explosive power.

Del Potro has risen to No 6 in the world, creeping up (if someone so tall can creep) behind the main four and Nikolay Davydenko, the No 5 who missed the Open with a heel injury. He is the youngest man in the top ten, made his Masters Cup debut last November and failed to live up to expectations only when the Davis Cup final came along and Argentina worked themselves up into such a state that Spain were handed an initiative they willingly accepted.

"I need to play better if I want to beat Nadal, Federer, Djokovic or Murray," Del Potro said, "I'm not going to beat them if I'm missing break points, volleys or whatever. I think that Cilic and I have the promise. He has everything, his service, his movement, his forehand. He will be top 10, or very close. But I have just to take care of my game, think my own thoughts and try to do my best."

Cilic's story is an exceptional one; spotted by Goran Ivanisevic as a 14-year-old, the former Wimbledon champion was straight on the phone to Bob Brett, his former coach, asking if he would mind running the rule over his young compatriot. The pair have worked together ever since, Brett travelling to events on an occasional basis or doing much of the donkey work at his academy in San Remo, near to his home in Monte Carlo, to where Cilic is about to move.

Brett, who coached Boris Becker to his 1991 triumph here, would not have come out of what was effectively semi retirement to work with any old Tom, Dick or Harry. He needed to be assured about the character and ethic of the young man - the word of Ivanisevic was good enough on his potential, after all, it was he who once informed his closest confidante in the Croatian press that he had just seen a player from Britain who was ranked around 250 at that time but who would be a top ten player one day. That was Tim Henman.

Brett has gone about his work quietly and conscientiously, as one would expect. Cilic is cut very much from the mould of Mario Ancic, who worked with Brett between the ages of 12 and 18, when he was one of the most impressive juniors in the world. Cilic might have been able to finish last year in greater ranking shape had he not fallen victim after the US Open to a virus which mean that, for three weeks, he was unable to focus properly in one eye and spent all day in sunglasses. One wondered, when he mentioned how difficult it was to serve at one end of the court because the ball toss was right into the sun, he didn't adopt the idea of Bernard Tomic, the young Australian here, and pull out the shades.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #68
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Really nice Getta- Thanks I really like both this young men As players on the court but more importantly off as well.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #69
country flag skywater

funny~~
Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #70
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond repute

hilarious

Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #71
country flag skywater

En la intimidad: el tandilense, de 20 años, encuentra apoyo en sus amigos y su familia ante las presiones del circuito profesional
Foto: Ricardo Pristupluk

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1093061

Detrás de la raqueta
Del Potro, que ya está en los octavos de final, intenta vivir su carrera sin presionarse: "El tenis es un trabajo, lo disfruto al máximo y sé que son pocos años", señala; Nadal, el número 1, su espejo: "Me fijo mucho en su humildad"
Por Ariel Ruya
Enviado especial

MELBOURNE.- ¿Quién es Juan Martín del Potro? Un jugador de tenis, de 20 años, la raqueta más ambiciosa de nuestro universo. Se ubica en el sexto puesto en el ranking y acaba de romper otra barrera: luego del triunfo esforzado, complejo, en 3 horas y 25 minutos por 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-3 y 7-5 frente a Gilles Muller, de Luxemburgo, jugará mañana por primera vez los octavos de final de esta tradicional cita, frente a Marin Cilic, otra promesa, aunque de Croacia.

Pero, ¿quién es, realmente, Del Potro? Si no alcanzan los datos anteriores, a continuación van otros: nació en Tandil, el lugar por excelencia de la semilla y cosecha de raquetas; días atrás logró el torneo de Auckland, el quinto trofeo de su incipiente trayectoria; es conducido por Franco Davin, un antiguo aventurero de los courts; es muy alto, mide 1,98 metros, lo que no le impide, naturalmente, mostrar su destreza. ¿Que no alcanza? Pues hay más: en su carrera lleva ganados 2.004.786 dólares y, como a otros ases de los courts, suele ser señalado como un latin lover . Modelos y actrices se desviven por ese joven tímido, espigado y que juega al tenis tan, pero tan bien.

Sin embargo, el interrogante va más allá: lo anterior no alcanza. ¿Quién es, en su interior, esta joven promesa que hace historia casi sin darse cuenta? ¿Qué hace en sus tiempos libres, qué le gusta, cómo son sus horas lejos del Melbourne Park, cuando el silencio lo aprisiona?

Lo escuchamos: "Me quedo en mi habitación todo el tiempo que puedo. Y trato de no tomar mucho el ascensor, no sea cosa que me quede encerrado como el otro día", bromea el hombre de un fantástico servicio y un paciente juego desde el fondo, algunas de las razones por las que venció, con excesiva dificultad, a un jugador como Muller, zurdo y osado a centímetros de la red.

El valor de la amistad, para Del Potro, no es una mercancía, no se negocia. Mezclado en un mundo de tentaciones de todo tipo, sabe por qué dice lo que dice. Esto, por ejemplo: "Ya hablé con diez personas, en la madrugada de Buenos Aires y todos me dijeron lo mismo: ?¡Cómo nos hiciste sufrir!´ Y yo les dije: «Bueno, no siempre se puede ganar fácil?» Ellos quieren lo mejor y se preocupan por mí, más como persona que como tenista. El otro día se inquietaron con lo que me pasó en el ascensor. Si estoy cinco en el mundo o 60 a ellos no les cambia nada. Y van a seguir siendo mis amigos toda la vida, son los que me mantienen en la realidad".

Qué otras cosas hace, en qué ocupa su tiempo. Lo escuchamos: "Me quedo en el cuarto y trato de estar con gente amiga. Leo los diarios, escucho música, estoy mucho tiempo con Franco (Davin, el entrenador) y Martiniano (Orazi, el preparador físico), hablando de lo que nos pasa, de la vida, de todo. La paso bien y me gusta estar en el hotel."

¿Le interesan los temas nacionales? ¿Prefiere apartarse de todo? Contesta así: "Me desenchufo, pero leo siempre todo lo que pasa en el país. Hay momentos, también, en los que es bueno alejarse de todo. De las cosas que pasaron en la final de la Davis, por ejemplo. Lo de la derrota en Mar del Plata fue duro y vino bien salir y despejarse".

¿Es un placer o una profesión el tenis para Juan Martín? ¿Qué lugar ocupa en su vida? Lo cuenta con sus palabras: "El tenis es un trabajo y mis amigos estudian o trabajan, o están de vacaciones; cada uno en lo suyo. Ojo, lo disfruto al máximo; sé que son pocos años y hay que aprovecharlos. Después voy a tener más tiempo para pensar en otras cosas".

El sol no se distrae: sale con esplendor todos los días. El calor agobia afuera y la distensión es un deleite adentro, en una sala cualquiera dentro del Melbourne Park, allí en donde el tandilense trata de descubrir todo lo que le está pasando. Aunque cueste asimilarlo. "Todavía no me di cuenta a donde llegué: todo me pasa muy rápido. No pienso en la posición en que estoy hoy o en las cosas que hice el año pasado, sólo pienso en hoy, en mañana. Voy a darme cuenta de todo lo que conseguí cuando vuelva a mi casa, cuando esté con mis amigos. Es muy largo el camino", cuenta el hombre que tiene al as español como referencia obligada. "Me fijo mucho en Rafa (Nadal, el mejor del planeta), en su humildad. Si él dice que tiene muchas cosas que mejorar y es el número 1, imaginate yo. Debo tener que mejorar el triple de esas cosas. No llegué a mi límite", dice. Convencido, decidido.

"Me gustaría seguir así, siento que voy por el buen camino", lanza el hombre que tiene al tenis como una parte esencial de su vida. No la única, claro.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #72
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I try it my best, sorry if there are some mistakes :S

Del Potro, who is in the 4th round, is trying to live his career without pressure, "Tennis is a job, what I enjoy the most and I know that will be a few years," he says, Nadal, the number 1 on their " I notice a lot in his humility "

MELBOURNE .- Who's Juan Martin del Potro? A tennis player who have 20 years, the racket more ambitious of our universe. It lies in sixth place in the ranking and just break another barrier: the triumph then struggled complex in 3 hours and 25 minutes by 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-3 and 7-5 face Gilles Muller of Luxembourg, will play tomorrow for the first knockout round of this traditional event, compared with Marin Cilic, another promise, but in Croatia.

But who is really Del Potro? If you do not meet the above data, then go to: Born in Tandil, the meeting place of the seed and crop rackets; days ago won the Auckland tournament, the fifth trophy of his fledgling career, is led by Franco Davin, an old adventurer from the courts, is very high, measured 1.98 meters, which will not stop it, of course, to show his skill. What is not? Well, there's more: in his career and has earned $ 2,004,786, and other aces of the courts, often identified as a latin lover. Models and actresses to be fighting for this shy young man, heading and playing tennis so, but so well.

But the question goes beyond the above is not enough. Who is on the inside, this young promise that makes history almost without realizing it? What do you do in your spare time, what he likes, how are your hours away from Melbourne Park, where the silence imprisons?

We heard: "I stay in my room all the time I can. And try not to take a long elevator, not a thing I like is locked the other day," jokes the man with a fantastic service and one patient from the game background, some of the reasons why we won, too difficult for a player like Muller, a left-handed and fearless centimeters of the net.

The value of friendship, for Del Potro, is not a commodity, is not negotiable. Mixing in a world of temptations of every kind, knows what it says what it says. This, for example: "I spoke with ten people on the morning of Buenos Aires and told me all the same How did we suffer! 'And I said:' Well, can not always be easy to win?" They want the best and care about me more as a tennis player as a person. The other day I was worried what happened in the elevator. If I'm five or 60 in the world they did not change anything. And they will remain lifelong friends, are what keep me in reality. "

What else does, what occupies your time. We heard: "I'm staying in the room and try to be friendly with people. I read newspapers, listen to music, I am a long time with Franco (Davin, the coach) and Martiniano (Orazi, the coach), we are talking about happens, life, everything. The good step and I like being in the hotel. "

Are you interested in national issues? Do you prefer to depart from it? And replied: "I unplugged, but whenever I read everything that happens in the country. There are moments, too, which is good to get away from it all. The things that went into the final of the Davis, for example. What the defeat in Mar del Plata was hard and came right out and cleared. "

Is it a pleasure or professional tennis for Juan Martin? What place in your life? What has his words: "Tennis is a job and my friends are studying or working, or holiday, each with their own. 'Ojo', what I enjoy the most, I know that few years and we must exploit it. Then I will have more time to think about other things. "

The sun is not distracting: glory comes with every day. The overwhelming heat outside and the relaxation is a delight in, either in a room inside the Melbourne Park, where there tandilense seeks to discover everything that is happening. Although cost assimilate. "Not yet, I realized where I arrived: everything happens very fast. I do not think in the position I am today or in the things I did last year, just think about today, tomorrow. I will realize everything when I got back to my house, when my friends. It's very long way, "says the man who is referred to as Spanish as required. "I notice a lot in Rafa (Nadal, the best in the world), in his humility. If he says he has many things to improve and is the number 1, I imagine. I need to improve these three things. It came to my limit, "he says. Convinced decided.

"I would like to continue, I am on the right track," the man who launched tennis is an essential part of his life. Not the only one, of course.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #73
country flag skywater

oh Kai
thanks very much~~~
Old 01-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #74
country flag skywater

5-7,6-4,6-4,6-2
Qf~~~
Vamos
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #75
country flag Getta

Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai. View Post
I try it my best, sorry if there are some mistakes :S
Thank you once again, kai.
Closed Thread