•°o*Wisdom is a Woman, and Loves only a Warrior/ the Castle, vol.5 - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #91
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: •°o*Wisdom is a Woman, and Loves only a Warrior/ the Castle, vol.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Totally correct Nadine
Who were you rooting for in the final?
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #92
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityfed View Post
Who were you rooting for in the final?
Goran I adored him for years - since I first saw him play at Wimby in 1991. I always liked Pat too - but I think my (tennis) heart would have been broken if Goran hadn't won it that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
wow I envy you so much...
One of the perks of living in London

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #93
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Goran I adored him for years - since I first saw him play at Wimby in 1991. I always liked Pat too - but I think my (tennis) heart would have been broken if Goran hadn't won it that time.
How many times have you been to Wimby?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #94
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
I know, it's kind of scary sometimes.

I am so undecided on most of these guys today it's ridiculous. If I listed them out right now, it would be in a different order 10 minutes from now.
Yeah me too. Like with Federer and Nadal. In their finals and big matches, I think I've (usually slightly) tended towards supporting one player or the other about the same amount of times.

Quote:
I get the jist But whilst underachievers are a pain in the backside to support, they keep it unpredictable and more often than not show those glimpses of brilliance that those other consistent players don't show. Nalbandian for example is either hot or cold, but when he is on, boy is he a joy to watch. I love his double hander almost as much as Gasquet's and Stan's single handed BH's.

I don't know if it's a case of "not taking the job seriously" though. I think in most instances it's a matter of having been over hyped and having too much expectations to deliver at the big stage where their nerves and headcasyness get the better of them. I seriously find it hard to believe that Gasquet took that stuff.
I think we just have two different ways to look at tennis. I know what you mean, I too love to watch Nalby and Safin and even Berdshit when they're on, but I tend to have more of a "broad" view, and I value mental toughness and players that bring out their best potential and excell themselves. They are just better sportsmen in my view.

Oh and I hate to tell you this, but there is no doubt in my mind Gasquet took coke. He is just that kind of guy. Not saying he's a bad person, but it just fits him and I wasn't surprised at all when it came out.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #95
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How many times have you been to Wimby?
Oh my - I honestly couldn't tell you - but many, many times First went with my parents when I was about 5 or 6 (they were LTA members and used to go several times each tournament), - though I don't honestly remember much about those visits apart from the childish crush I had on Vitas Gerulaitis

Then when I was about 14 or 15 we started going with the School once a year, and when I was round about that age I also queued overnight there a few times, though as I recall it was more about drinking and partying all night than watching tennis

Later, (when I was at Uni) I volunteered and worked there a few times, and also worked there when I was a journalist. So loads of times.

And of course, the silly thing is - I don't even like Wimbledon that much. It isn't my favourite tournament - nor even my favourite Grand Slam - nowadays I tend to just go once a year if someone throws me a free ticket.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #96
country flag icedevil0289

icedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah me too. Like with Federer and Nadal. In their finals and big matches, I think I've (usually slightly) tended towards supporting one player or the other about the same amount of times.

I think we just have two different ways to look at tennis. I know what you mean, I too love to watch Nalby and Safin and even Berdshit when they're on, but I tend to have more of a "broad" view, and I value mental toughness and players that bring out their best potential and excell themselves. They are just better sportsmen in my view.

Oh and I hate to tell you this, but there is no doubt in my mind Gasquet took coke. He is just that kind of guy. Not saying he's a bad person, but it just fits him and I wasn't surprised at all when it came out.
Sorry, but what do you mean by "He is just that kind of guy"?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #97
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Glen I see you liked Ashe. The matches I've seen of him are excellent and from what I've read of him he was a class act. My favourite match is the 1969 semis with Laver. Honestly one of the best matches I've ever seen. The pace they got out of those wooden rackets...

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #98
country flag Dini

Quote:
I think we just have to different ways to look at tennis. I know what you mean, I too love to watch Nalby and Safin and even Berdshit when they're on, but I tend to have more of a "broad" view, and I value mental toughness and players that bring out their best potential and excell themselves. They are just better sportsmen in my view.
Yeah, you're right. I value that too very mucho, and I guess mental toughness is what separates the best from the rest because really the top 100 or so all have terrific tennis in them, but it's about extracting the right shots and tactics at the right moments, something which the like of Blake and Berdych fail to do on a consistent basis.

But as I mentioned before the hot and cold element keeps it interesting, and I guess you agree...being a fan of Stan and all.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #99
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil0289 View Post
Sorry, but what do you mean by "He is just that kind of guy"?
Well he just loves to party and the nightlife. And to be honest he's never taken tennis as seriously as he should. I'm not flaming the guy, I know people who take coke almost every weekend and they can be good fellas, just a bit mad on top.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #100
country flag miura

miura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back!

This thread needs more women!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #101
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Martin it's already 33 degrees in here...

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #102
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I value that too very mucho, and I guess mental toughness is what separates the best from the rest because really the top 100 or so all have terrific tennis in them, but it's about extracting the right shots and tactics at the right moments, something which the like of Blake and Berdych fail to do on a consistent basis.

But as I mentioned before the hot and cold element keeps it interesting, and I guess you agree...being a fan of Stan and all.
Yes... thing is I was rating the guys and the hot-and-cold guys tend to get lower rates if anything cause they piss me off so often, which the top guns don't do so much cause they're just so good, and the others like Ferrer cause they just do what they can.

Nothing of all that applies to Stan though, cause I just want to marry the guy.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #103
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Glen I see you liked Ashe. The matches I've seen of him are excellent and from what I've read of him he was a class act. My favourite match is the 1969 semis with Laver. Honestly one of the best matches I've ever seen. The pace they got out of those wooden rackets...
This will piss you off, but I actually met Ashe at the 81 USopen. He was just standing there, and I waltzed right up and introduced myself. Absolute great guy. Stood there and talked to me for about 30 minutes and acted like I was his best friend, and he didn't know me from Adam.

My fav Ashe match was the 75 Wimby final. It was like Ali-Fraizer, and NO body gave Authur a chance. You know the rest, it was awesome. And as you saw on my list, both of these guys were among my favs, but I really wanted Authur to pull it off.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #104
country flag icedevil0289

icedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
This will piss you off, but I actually met Ashe at the 81 USopen. He was just standing there, and I waltzed right up and introduced myself. Absolute great guy. Stood there and talked to me for about 30 minutes and acted like I was his best friend, and he didn't know me from Adam.

My fav Ashe match was the 75 Wimby final. It was like Ali-Fraizer, and NO body gave Authur a chance. You know the rest, it was awesome. And as you saw on my list, both of these guys were among my favs, but I really wanted Authur to pull it off.
That's awesome that you met Ashe!! I'm going to assume that you have met Mac before. How was that?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #105
country flag Dini

Quote:
Yes... thing is I was rating the guys and the hot-and-cold guys tend to get lower rates if anything cause they piss me off so often, which the top guns don't do so much cause they're just so good, and the others like Ferrer cause they just do what they can.

Nothing of all that applies to Stan though, cause I just want to marry the guy.