articles - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #46
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: articles

That was such a lovely post 
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #47
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

I had put my alarm clock at early dawn to look at his Q in St-Petersbourg that he lost to Zebello last autumn.
There was more people working on court than spectators in that little arena;
and I wondered how a player could be motivated to pursue his objectives in such an environment.

But Gumy was already with him and this was the beginning of the ascension...
They strangely forgot to go to Paris Master afterwards???

Ernests finally decided to consider tennis as a job...and we are so happy he did.
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #48
country flag krfreak

krfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond reputekrfreak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article. I loved it!

krfreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #49
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

So many nice new articles!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ar-of-tomorrow

Quote:
Ernest Gulbis: The Man of Today and Star of Tomorrow
by Robert Orzechowski Analyst Written on May 17, 2010 Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Ernest Gulbis, the 21-year-old Latvian superstar, has burst upon the tennis scene. Many who have followed him think it is about time.

Recently, he defeated Roger Federer at the Rome Masters, and lost a close one to Rafael Nadal in the same tournament.

Gulbis did not get a chance to rematch against Nadal because Federer avenged himself, and beat Gulbis in a close three setter at the Madrid Masters.

He lost to Federer almost by the same margin as he lost to Nadal. If he is consistent, then this must mean Nadal and Federer are playing on the same level.

Federer seems to play better on the high altitude of Madrid, which may explain his stronger showing.

Nadal may have upped his game and that allowed him to defeat Federer. We can only speculate that he would have beaten Gulbis, regardless.

Can Federer maintain his level and compete with Nadal at the lower levels of Paris, France? If his backhand can counter Nadal's high forehand then he may have a fighting chance.

Also, Roger needs to step into more of Rafa's second services and be aggressive with them.

Roger needs to rid himself of his psychological Nadal demons and play fresh. Nadal is in his head. Nadal is ruthless and will not hesitate to pounce on the Federer errors should they grow too much.

Federer needs to attack Rafa's backhand because he is not a true lefty. He also needs to cash in on more break points, and must keep a high level of first services in play.

That being said, Gulbis is the man of tomorrow.

A big knowing wink goes out to Anti-Matter.
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #50
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

Part of article about Ernests that describes very well his natural talent:

Ernests Gulbis will be a top-five player. Place your bets now.

I’m not saying that he will win the French Open in 2010, but he will win it eventually, and probably a few other Grand Slams.

The Latvian has come on strong after a lackluster 2009 campaign, after which many questioned his commitment to tennis. The clay has offered him a fresh start. His win over Roger Federer in Rome and see-saw battle with Rafael Nadal in the Semifinals of the same tournament announced to the world that his breakthrough 2008 Quarterfinal run at Roland Garros was no fluke.

Gulbis’ serve is a top tier shot, his backhand is world class and his forehand is an improving weapon. At 6’3” he is an ideal height and a surprisingly efficient mover. But perhaps the most important thing is his innate court sense.

Gulbis knows where and when to attack, he can invent shots on the fly (like a cross court, change of pace forehand slice that he executed against Nadal). He is a natural, a natural with a court sense comparable to that of Juan Martin Del Potro.

But Gulbis has a bigger upside.

He’s got a better build for tennis than a Del Potro. He also has a better transition game than a Marin Cilic. Of all of the young guys who made a splash in 2008 (Del Potro, and Cilic included) Gulbis has the most potential.He’s been racking up some decent wins over the past two months, and he feels like he can beat anyone.

At 21, this is the perfect time for him to make a statement.

I don’t think he can win the French Open right now, but depending on what half of the draw he lands in I would not be shocked to see him in the final four.

Tim Ruffin
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...rce=newsletter
Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #51
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get my wrong, I love the nice words being said about Ernests but I'm worried we will get a repeat of what happened last time. When Ernests started getting success a few years ago everyone thought he was going to shoot up the rankings and when he didn't it was a bit of a black lash.
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #52
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Ernie will have a minor setback at some point losing early in a big tournament because he had a bad day or for whatever reason, and of course there will be backlash then, I think it's inevitable. But I'm sure we won't get a repeat of the 2009 season and if Ernie has a bad day he'll make up for it in the next tournament.

This year is very different from 2008. He had only two good runs in 2008 - RG and, erm, Cincinnatti? - but those were more like flukes, he kept losing in the first and second rounds in other tournaments. This year he's been past the second round many times already and there's no reason to think he won't keep it up if he stays healthy.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #53
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are very right! I worry too much! And I agree that he wont go back to his 2009 days.
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #54
country flag osmonde

Today, there is a 4 pages article about Ernests and his draw at RG.
Rather put the link, because it is long...

Gulbis finally lives up to hype as French Open looms

Ernests Gulbis has long been an enigmatic presence on the ATP Tour, but a recent win over Roger Federer bodes well.

http://www.sportingo.com/tennis/a134...nch-open-looms

Last edited by osmonde : 05-21-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #55
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewr...ler-marat.html

Quote:
A Gentler Marat 05/23/2010 - 1:59 PM

You had a feeling, from the moment that the players’ names were announced and they walked onto a blindingly bright and hot Court Suzanne Lenglen, that this was going to be a tough afternoon for Ernests Gulbis. He may have been the most talked-about young player of the season, a guy with a win over Roger Federer, a close loss to Rafael Nadal, and a 22-9 record, a guy who seemed to be turning a career corner at age 21, but he was also playing a home favorite, Julien Benneteau, in front of a packed audience eager to make a difference. Benneteau, without a hair or a thread out of place, like a tennis player dreamed up in 1950s Hollywood, walked out to a startlingly strong ovation. He waved to the crowd suavely. Gulbis, in comparatively garish orange shoes and shirt, under a mop of curly hair, got a politely enthusiastic reaction. He brought his hand up over his head for a half-hearted second and then got it back down as quickly as he could. It felt like an uphill battle already.

And it was, right from the opening points, when a razor-sharp Benneteau won the first two games with a small flurry of winners. The battle, only sporadically joined by Gulbis, ended a set later, when, serving at 6-4, 2-1, 30-15, Benneteau snapped a towering kick wide into the ad court that sent Gulbis skidding out of control over the dry clay in the far corner. He came up gingerly holding his right hamstring (later he said he heard "two cracks"). It never felt right again, and Gulbis, after dropping the second set in a hurry, retired after being broken to start the third.

There’s only so much you can gather from a match where the guy you’re writing about hurts himself in the second and retires in the third. But we did get a good set and a half of Gulbis, and it was the first time I’d seen him up close since Wimbledon last year, when he fell to a humiliating low against Andy Murray in the second round. What is the state of Ernests in his turnaround phase? Let me build it snapshot by snapshot from today.

—Gulbis appears to be wiry bordering on skinny on TV, and while he’s not exactly thick, like most pros he’s taller and more physically imposing in person, as if he just grew two inches since last week.

—Also more imposing in person is his serve, both the flat and the kick. He couldn’t get it working for him today, but it’s a special shot and evidence of a special athleticism. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone toss the ball so far back over his head and still be able to hit a bomb flat serve down the T with it. He really does toss the ball to the same spot and hit anything from there, even a nasty kick into the ad court that never fails to surprise his opponents.

—Gulbis’ forehand is busier than anyone would teach it. He starts by bringing the racquet just below his right cheek, and then drops it back down and begins his swing from there. He gets a lot of racquet speed doing it this way (though he almost certainly could get that same speed with a more conventional stroke), but it can make it hard for him to get the racquet around fast enough to take a sitter at the top of its bounce. I thought that Benneteau might have success driving the ball hard into this stroke and forcing Gulbis to speed up, but the times when he tried it, Ernests had the answer. Like Roger Federer, Gulbis gets around the ball with freakish haste.

—On the third point, Benneteau catches up to a drop shot and flicks a forehand lob over Gulbis’ head for a winner. Gulbis looks back at his coach, Hernan Gumy, nods, and raises his eyebrows, as if to say, “Hmm, not bad.”

—Gulbis sails a couple of forehands over the baseline in the second game. It’s his footwork. It’s hard to tell whether it’s laziness or indecisiveness, but he doesn’t get his feet around the ball in time and ends up rushing the swing. Other times, pushed wide, he overruns the ball. After the match, Gulbis says he was “emotionally sleepy” at the start, but he doesn’t take advantage of a lot of hanging mid-court shots.

—After an ace to finish a game, Gulbis’ first reaction is to look straight down and walk to the sideline. Then it comes to him: “Oh yeah, the fist-pump, do the fist-pump.” He throws one in and looks at Gumy.

—The match turns with Gulbis up 3-2 in the first. He has a break point but drops a routine backhand into the net. The missed opportunity rattles him. On the next two points, Gulbis tries two tactically questionable down the line ground strokes. His misses both and is broken in the following game when he dumps another tactically questionable forehand drop shot into the net. Gulbis has become more resilient in recent months, but he can’t put this moment behind him. He even brings it up in his press conference. “Of course if I would get a break, at 3-2, the match would be different,” he says. “I would serve on 4-2, 5-2, it would be the same my way, a set and then maybe none of it would happen.” Ifs and maybes will get you every time.

—Gumy has a fatherly presence for his player. The son looks to him regularly, to get positive reinforcement after a good point and to help him decide when to call it quits with his injury, but mostly to let off a little irrational steam. In the middle of the first set, Gulbis drills two forehands into the lower part of the net and looks at his grip. When he gets to Gumy’s side of the court, he stares at him with exasperation and shows him how he’s using the wrong grip. Later in the match, Gulbis does the same thing with his serve, showing Gumy why he can’t hit it. Gumy doesn’t say anything either time. He lets Gulbis get it out of his system.

—Point finger at head, shrug shoulders, look up to sky: Where have you seen this post-unforced-error routine before? Remind you of Marat Safin, perhaps? Gulbis also shares with the Russian a similar high voice and a tendency toward darkly comic philosophizing. And, Safinesque again, Gulbis cracked a racquet today, which he said was no big deal for him. Asked what he would do if something was a big deal, he said, with a Marat-like conspiratorial smile, “Minimum three racquets smashed, throw them to the stands, hit somebody with a ball. I have to think about. I’ll get back to you.”

Like Safin, Gulbis, a competitor who doesn’t need the money, is a challenge to the ideal of the sportsman who plays for the love of the game. Safin played out of an albatross-like obligation to his talent. Gulbis plays, he says, for similar reasons, only to prove to himself that he can be as good as he is supposed to be. Each of them admits that he gets sick of the sport and hates it at times. But Gulbis’ smile, which he flashes often today in defeat, is easier, his manner lighter and less tortured than Safin's. Call him the Gentler Marat.

Gulbis’ attitude is refreshing for its honesty, and a little disappointing in its complacency. The sportsmen's ideal of hard work and love of competition may be a crock, a form of social control, a way to sell racquets and shoes, but, as unrealistic and unfair as it is, we do want to feel that our athletes are emotionally invested enough to be crushed by their defeats.

—I began watching Gulbis, but finished watching Benneteau. It had been the 29-year-old who had controlled the rallies and created the openings with placement rather than power. He played within himself, but he was never dull about it. His finest moment came when he secured an insurance break in the second set. Gulbis came to the net on a solid forehand; rather than crack a two-handed pass back, Benneteau retreated, slid into a slice backhand, and eased it just over the net, the way they used to teach you. Gulbis couldn’t do much with the volley, and Benneteau was there with a pinpoint forehand pass up the line.

It was worthy of a Gulbis-style raised eyebrow. “Hmm, not bad, old man, not bad.”
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #56
country flag osmonde

Nice article that captures well how Gulbis was feeling on court today and his awsome technique; it is also as if we were there...

"Like Roger Federer, Gulbis gets around the ball with freakish haste."

"I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone toss the ball so far back over his head and still be able to hit a bomb flat serve down the T with it. He really does toss the ball to the same spot and hit anything from there, even a nasty kick into the ad court that never fails to surprise his opponents."

By the way, it is exactly how Federer described Gulbis serves and shots last week...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #57
country flag merdenoms

merdenoms is on a distinguished road

Another great article from Mr. Tignor. It's such a perceptive description of Ernie's game and how fans feel ernies suffers a bad loss. Hope he recovers in time for Wimby so Tignor can write more about him.
merdenoms is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #58
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Looove the last sentence

All Hype and Hamstring: Ernests Gulbis entered this year’s French Open as one of the handful of players who experts believed capable of stopping Rafael Nadal on the Spaniard’s favorite surface. He left it unsure of his participation at Wimbledon, with the ‘headcase’ tag planted firmly back on his shoulders. Squaring up against local favorite Julien Benneteau on the first day of the tournament, Gulbis was back to his pre-Rome inconsistent (to put it mildly) ways, wasting away break chances in the first set and morosely losing his serve to start the second. As he moved to reach a wide second serve in the third game, disaster struck – Gulbis ‘heard two cracks’ as he tore his hamstring, and the match result was never in any real doubt after that. After such a promising claycourt swing, Gulbis is in danger of missing Wimbledon, the one tournament where the surface might have been perfect for his big game. The real tragedy, of course, is that we’ll be deprived of Gulbis’s crackling press conferences for the rest of the French Open, something I’m sure we all counted on to be one of the main sources of entertainment this year. Boo.
eze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #59
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

TennisTalk Magazine has posted ´The definitive guide for sex-cess on the ATP World Tour´

Lesson #7 is:
If someone named “Mario Ancic,” “Ernests Gulbis,” or “Juan (any surname will do)” asks you for your phone number, oblige immediately.
eze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #60
country flag Viky-cro

Viky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond reputeViky-cro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
TennisTalk Magazine has posted ´The definitive guide for sex-cess on the ATP World Tour´

Lesson #7 is:
If someone named “Mario Ancic,” “Ernests Gulbis,” or “Juan (any surname will do)” asks you for your phone number, oblige immediately.

That's very good lesson ... It's much more useful then some other stuff we learn at school or college
Viky-cro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote