articles - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: articles

Gulbis through to third round
Written by Jared Grellet Tennis May 12, 2010

Ernests Gulbis' win over Mikhail Youzhny marks the second time in the past month that he's defeated a world top 10 player.

MADRID, Spain — Budding Latvian tennis star Ernests Gulbis has moved past the second round of the Madrid Open, defeating 10th seed Mikhail Youzhny 7-6 (2), 6-4.

Like Gulbis’ first round match up against Spaniard Albert Montańés, his second round battle against Russian Mikhail Youzhny had also been dubbed as the must-watch game of the round. It was intriguing that arguably the three most in-form players on the tour at the moment should all meet so early on at Madrid.

Like Montańés, Youzhny was also coming into the Madrid Open on the back of victory in his previous tournament, having won his first title of the year at the BMW Open in Munich, Germany last week.

Youzhny and Gulbis had only met once before, with Youzhny claiming victory n that occasion in front of a home crowd in Moscow. The fact that both of these players are known for their big hitting also added some extra spice to this match up.

But as much as Gulbis is known for his big hitting, it was his deft touches at the net which were winning plaudits from the crowd today.

In the opening set, both players were showing their strength on serve, with eight games completed before a break point was forthcoming. It was Youzhny who had the opportunity first but “The Gull” remained steadfast, as did Youzhny when the favor was returned on his next service game.

With neither player showing weakness on serve it was fitting that the set be decided in a tie-break. Here Gulbis was able to make a break of his own, dominating the tie break to go one set up.

In the second set it was Youzhny who faltered on service first, being broken by Gulbis on his third service game. Given that the Latvian was already one set up, this would prove to be the crucial point of the match.

On his next trip to the service line Gulbis again had the Russian scrambling, taking advantage at break point three times without being able to finish him off. Regardless, Gulbis was showing advantages of a week of as he made his way round court with ease, whilst Youzhny in comparison was more sluggish in his movements.

Any thoughts Youzhny may have had of breaking back were quickly quashed by Gulbis, serving up two aces in his next service game to move within a game of victory at 5-3.

Gulbis would have to wait at least one more game as Youzhny held serve but Gulbis was not about to have his serve broken today, holding on to take the set 6-4.

In the the third round Gulbis will come up against Feliciano López of Spain. Gulbis has met the world no. 32 on two previous occasions with the honors being shared 1-1.

http://balticreports.com/?p=17336
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #32
country flag -Evita-
Come on, Ernest!

-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute-Evita- has a reputation beyond repute

Nice match report but there are at least two errors in there. First, Youzhny is not a top 10 player at the moment. And second, he's the Swan, not the Gull I hate it when they assign him bird nicknames for no reason
Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
country flag banhhe

banhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond reputebanhhe has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that in this balticreport site they usually call him that
banhhe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Ernests Gulbis Nears Roger Federer Rematch In Madrid

By Richard Pagliaro

Photo Credit: Costantini/Internazionali BNL D'Italia.com

(Mahy 12, 2010) Another day and another clay-court champion bites the dust at the hands of Ernests Gulbis.

The talented 21-year-old Latvian was nearly flawless on first serve, winning 32 of 35 points on his first serve to post a 7-6(2), 6-4 victory over 10th-seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny at the Muta Madrilena Madrid Open today. Gulbis has won nine of his last 11 matches.

It marked the second straight match Gulbis took out a recent clay-court champion and put him one match closer to a possible rematch with World No. 1 Roger Federer as he continues his climb toward the top 10.

If Gulbis beats Spanish left-hander Feliciano Lopez and Federer prevails in an all-Swiss match with Olympic gold-medal winning doubles partner Stanislas Wawrinka, then Gulbis and Federer will meet for the second straight time in a Masters 1000 event. Gulbis beat Lopez , 7-6(6), 6-1, in the Rome quarterfinals to level their head-to-head series at 1-1.

Gulbis backed up a bold serve with some audacious ground strokes in upsetting Federer in the Rome round of 16, 2-6, 6-1, 7-5. Gulbis followed that effort by taking a set off four-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal in the Rome semifinals before bowing, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, solidifying his status as a Roland Garros threat.

Youzhny beat Marin Cilic to win his first title of the season in Munich on Sunday. Gulbis ground down the 13th-ranked Russian one round after he beat Estoril champion Albert Montanes, 7-5, 6-1. Montanes beat Federer and Frederico Gil to successfully defend Estoril on Sunday.

Gulbis' loose pre-service ritual of spinning the ball in the air and checking his toss contrasts with the crushing serves he can deliver. It's almost like watching a bull perform a juggling act before trying to gore a matador.

The 34th-ranked Gulbis opened the match winning 19 consecutive points on serve before Youzhny finally broke through in the ninth game with a bit of a flukey return that hit the top of the tape and landed in the corner, surprising Gulbis, who slapped a reply into net.

Youzhny completed his third career top-20 season in 2009 and dropped just one set in claiming his first title of the season in Munich.

Starting down two set points serving at 5-6 in the first set, Youzhny struck a service winner down the T to erase the first set point. On the ensuing 21-shot rally, Gulbis sent a backhand beyond the baseline as Youzhny drew even at deuce, eventually holding for 6-all.

The tie breaker showed just why Gulbis can be a threat in Paris. He is one of the few players capable of dictating play off both his serve and return. If Gulbis, who loves to play the drop shot, but whose feel around net not his forte, develops his net game it will make his already lethal groundstrokes even more effective.

Attacking net in the tie breaker, Gulbis hit a backhand drop volley winner followed by a firm backhand volley crosscourt to take a 5-0 tie breaker lead. He never looked back and now looks ahead to a possible rematch with Federer. They have split two meetings with both matches going three sets.
eze is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #35
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

Youzhny is seeded 10 in this tournament...so it is not an error to say so...but he is not a top 10 players, so it is a mistake to say so.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #36
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to watch Ernie's match today on TV and it made me feel really optimistic. He's such a great talent and that grit and determination to win is really starting to shine through now.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #37
country flag osmonde

Federer, Gulbis square off in Madrid quarterfinals

5/14/10 3:00 AM | Ricky Dimon

Federer, Gulbis square off in Madrid quarterfinals Roger Federer and Ernests Gulbis will be going head-to-head for the second time less than three weeks when they face each other on Friday in Madrid. A place in the semifinals is at stake.

Roger Federer and Ernests Gulbis will do battle for the third time in their careers when they meet in the quarterfinals of the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open on Friday night.

If their previous two encounters are any indication, this should be a good one. Federer prevailed 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 earlier this year in Doha, but Gulbis got revenge two weeks ago with a 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 upset in the second round of the Rome Masters.

More comfortable in Madrid's faster conditions, Federer will be eager for revenge and he finally looks like he is playing well enough to take it. After surprising losses in Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, and Estoril, the world No. 1 could be getting back on track this week. He beat Benjamin Becker 6-2, 7-6(4) in his opener and crushed fellow Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-1 on Thursday.

Gulbis, though, is playing the best and most consistent tennis of his career right now. In February he reached the Memphis semifinals and won his first ATP title in Delray Beach, and it has been full steam ahead for him on clay. The 21-year-old Latvian made runs to the Barcelona quarters and the Rome semis, where he took a set off Rafael Nadal.
In the immediate aftermath of a shockingly bad 2009 campaign, Gulbis is suddenly 22-8 this season.

"He has a tremendous serve," Federer said of Gulbis. "He can reach any box with incredible pace and accuracy. On clay he has a bit more time with his shots here and he can go for a bit more. He has been confident, so I hope I can get him back."

As Federer implies, the world No. 34 has a good chance of winning any match in any setting given his current form. Nonetheless, the surface in Madrid is far more conducive to Federer's game than that of Rome. This could be the match of the tournament, but look for Federer to come out on top with three-set revenge.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/preview..._quarterfinals
Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #38
country flag Proxima2

Proxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond reputeProxima2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the articles
Proxima2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #39
country flag osmonde

Importance of Ernests

Latvian back on track for great things after difficult year

Barry Cowan Posted 3rd May 2010

All guns firing: big ground shots and a strong serve make Gulbis a tough opponent

Rafael Nadal may rule Rome but Ernests Gulbis is its unsung hero.

The Latvian's big game has always had huge potential but at last week's Masters we saw how much he has evolved as a person.

After eliminating Roger Federer early on, the 21-year-old pushed Nadal hard in the semi-final to suggest a great future lies in store for him.
All guns firing: big ground shots and a strong serve make Gulbis a tough opponent

If he continues to work hard there is definitely a grand slam champion in him.
Confidence

Gulbis showed glimpses of his ability when he made the quarter-finals of the French Open in 2008 but he didn't push on and endured a horror 2009, reaching only two quarter-finals.

This season is all about starting again.

There was little pressure on him when he came up against Federer and again when he took on Nadal so he was able to play with freedom - and it showed.

Against the Spaniard he replicated his form of the early rounds and made almost 80 percent of his first serves. When you have a dangerous weapon like that and big ground shots at your disposal you will trouble a lot of good players.

Juan Martin del Potro showed how far confidence and ability can take you at the 2009 US Open and that should inspire Gulbis.

He could not have played any better against Nadal and if he can take the positives from his defeat and learn how to deliver when the pressure is on then there's no reason why he can't push forward.

I sincerely hope he does because the tennis world needs more players with his type of personality.
Gulbis reminds me of a very young Marat Safin -
he's refreshingly quick-witted and honest and it's up to us in the media not to destroy that side of his character.

Tested

After winning his fifth Rome Masters title Nadal made a point of saying his game is not at its best. That surprised me slightly because even he can't always play ten-out-of-ten tennis on clay.

Rafa played unbelievably well in Monte Carlo, where he won so convincingly, and it's unrealistic to expect him to go through another Masters event losing only 14 games.

He was tested far more in Rome and played great tennis when it was required. In that sense, I think he'll gain as much confidence from last week as he did from Monte Carlo.

I'm as unconcerned about him as I am about Federer. What we saw last week was very reminiscent of the Swiss' match against Tsonga in Montreal in 2009, when he was up 5-1 in the third and lost concentration before slipping to defeat.

Yes he's slightly undercooked given the number of matches he's played but he was pretty open after his second-round loss and realises he needs to work hard; in short, he's still as motivated as ever.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #40
country flag merdenoms

merdenoms is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: articles

Does anybody in here speak or know Spanish enough to translate this article? I found it on this link. http://www.abc.es/20100514/deportes-...-20100514.html I will greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!
merdenoms is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
country flag osmonde

Gulbis: "Everyone should spend a night in jail '

Friday , 05.10.1914

Ernests Gulbis is the new attraction in the men's tennis circuit. Waited a long time in the elite, this year has taken a leap in quality and approaches the best. His life, millionaire guy, nice and bold, is a novel.

- What do you look at the track?

"I want to prove to myself that I can be among the top ten. Never mind the money, I do not care about fame, I do not like, do not need or seek. I love the game, enjoy the competition, in pursuing a goal and reach it when I feel good, less empty. That's what tennis for me, pressed for a new triumph.

- So you do not mind the money?

"No, I said that. The money is good, just not my priority.
"I have the label of rich kid.
"Maybe the media gave me that reputation. I left home at an early age, never gave me anything. Yes, I come from a wealthy family, but I was never asking these things because I do not need. The issue of money is more normal for me because I come from a rich family is there, but it is an important issue. If you come from a humble family, you make yourself and your goal is to make money, it's fine. But that's not my goal.

- Is it true that sometimes travels to tournaments in a private jet?

-Yes, and I have ten helicopters, a submarine and a spaceship. They are all nonsense.
"I read in an interview that his mother was driving to save money.
"I'm not saving money. If I'm in Europe, the distances are short and it is better to drive. I do not like to fly, by car is best, put your stuff in the trunk and go.

"They say you read philosophers:

- What is philosophy? I do not know, I read many books. I enjoy spending time with my own thoughts. When I'm alone in my hotel room I like reading, but not just philosophy. Now I'm reading a French book, "The revolution of the ants" by Bernard Werber. It is very good.

- How are the studies?

I finished school in Latvia. I could not go every day, at tournaments and stuff, so I took private tutors. Now I would like to begin studying art history at the University of Latvia. In December I tried to study film, but it was very difficult because of the lack of time.

- Do you like movies?

"Yes, it is part of the history of my family. My grandfather was a famous actor in the Soviet Union. In fact, I attended a small film, a small role with my mother, who is an actress. But I do not remember much, only a few flashes. There are videos on YouTube if you want to see.

- What happened in Stockholm when he was arrested for going with a prostitute?

"It was great, very funny. I wont return to Sweden in my life.
When I meet a girl I do not ask her profession, do not care if is a hairdresser or anything else. Suddenly I was in jail for nothing. Everyone should spend a night in jail. I was there six or seven hours, and already paid the deposit. Because the next day was a tournament, I would have stayed longer (ironic).

- Do you feel persecuted by women?

"Hopefully, the more I continue to improve. No, seriously, I do not feel harassed. In my country there is a different mentality, if they see someone famous they do not approach or take pictures or bother you. Quite the opposite, perhaps comment on something but keep the distance.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
country flag merdenoms

merdenoms is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: articles

Thank you so much Osmonde! This is such a nice interview. I love the way he handled the solicitation issue in Sweden and all that private jet talk - so frank and head-on, no BS.
merdenoms is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #43
country flag eze

eze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond reputeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Her's one written during Rome

Ernests Gulbis Fans Find Something Lost
May 1, 20101 Comment
tags: baghdatis, davydenko, ernie, karlovic, lopez, nadal, safin, the federer, volandriby kaitepaiErnests Gulbis made headlines a few days ago when he knocked out world number one, Roger Federer. Unknown to people outside of the close tennis circle, Gulbis was a fresh, new, exciting face. From first glance, it would appear the 21 one year old with remarkable talent and cute boyish good looks would be set for the top ten very shortly. With a knockout of an ailing Federer, surely the Latvian would have the confidence, determination, and ambition to climb the rankings. But Gulbis fans, who have been following him for most of his short professional career, knew better than to expect anything. This is because Gulbis has been a disappointment for the most part of his career, showing off his talent by wasting it with epic chokes, a lack of desire, and bad behaviour. He didn’t win two matches back to back last year until very late and made some strange decisions along the way. He was caught with a prostitute in Stockholm, (it hasn’t been confirmed exactly, but it is taken for granted as fact), and then later forgot to withdraw from a tournament. He was without a coach for much of last year and it seemed as if Gulbis might just hang up his racket at the age of 21.

Still his fans followed him. Ever loyal to the charismatic, good-looking, exciting player, they persisted with watching matches that ended in heart-breaking double faults. 2010 didn’t seem to bring any promise, but Gulbis did make the seemingly obvious move of hiring a coach. He turned out to be Marat Safin’s ex-coach, Hernan Gumy. Suddenly things were looking up. Without getting carried away, Gulbis finally started to cash in on that promise that was much talked about a few years ago. At the end of Febuary Gulbis captured his first ATP title at Delray Beach. He rose back into the top 50 with the win in the final over Ivo Karlovic, not an easy opponent. Gulbis fans began to wake up from their long slumber but with only one eye open. That eye was promptly shut again when Gulbis lost his second round match to Nikolay Davydenko at Indian Wells. This would have been forgivable if Davydenko was not playing with a broken wrist. Gulbis then mysteriously disappeared off the circuit for a month.

It turns out that in his month off Gulbis was practising not partying as suspected. He may have taken a month off and only practised for two weeks, which he called ‘a joke’, but it was still practise. Whether he begrudged it or not, the man formerly allergic to hard work was finally putting in some hours on the tennis court. It seemed to pay off. At the Barcelona Open Gulbis made it to the quarter finals where he fell to Verdasco, eventual finalist. Meanwhile Gulbis fans were watching closely but skeptically, with furrowed eyebrows. They had no idea his biggest success yet was about to come.

Gulbis entered the Rome Masters with an extremely tough draw. If he managed to get past Marcos Baghdatis in the first round he would have to face Federer in the second. We all know what happened, Gulbis beat a lackluster Federer in three sets after almost “shitting his pants” (his words). Gulbis fans had certainly woken up by then and were sitting bolt upright with a mixture of elation and fear across their faces. They had suddenly received an injection of hope which is a dangerous drug when it comes to Ernests Gulbis. He may have beaten Federer, but Gulbis fans knew he was capable of losing to anyone, even Filippo Volandri, his 150th ranked opponent in the third round. He came close to breaking hearts worldwide against the feisty Italian, but in the end Gulbis held on for a close three set victory. Gulbis fans well and truly had hope now, not only had he beaten Federer but he had managed to consolidate on it. There was almost optimism in their faces as he faced and beat his next opponent, Feliciano Lopez, catapulting Gulbis into the semis to face none other than Nadal.

Finally, Gulbis fans have something to cheer for. Not only is 2010 looking like a break through year for Gulbis but he is starting to look like he actually cares about tennis. He was delighted with his win over Lopez, although disgusted with his missed smash on match point. Showing off his refreshing sense of humour in a sea of serious players, Ernests Gulbis asked ‘who’s that’ when an interviewer questioned him about Nadal. Cracking the grin that has disarmed fans worldwide Gulbis appeared happy and relaxed on the tennis court. His fans are happy too, although they are defiantly not relaxed as they prepare to watch their reluctant hero take to the clay courts of Rome to face none other than Nadal tonight. They will be waiting though, ever faithful. This time they even have hope.
eze is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #44
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article  it captures the spirit of how Ernie is on the brink of something great.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #45
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post

Still his fans followed him. Ever loyal to the charismatic, good-looking, exciting player, they persisted with watching matches that ended in heart-breaking double faults. 2010 didn’t seem to bring any promise, but Gulbis did make the seemingly obvious move of hiring a coach. He turned out to be Marat Safin’s ex-coach, Hernan Gumy. Suddenly things were looking up. Without getting carried away, Gulbis finally started to cash in on that promise that was much talked about a few years ago. At the end of Febuary Gulbis captured his first ATP title at Delray Beach. He rose back into the top 50 with the win in the final over Ivo Karlovic, not an easy opponent. Gulbis fans began to wake up from their long slumber but with only one eye open. That eye was promptly shut again when Gulbis lost his second round match to Nikolay Davydenko at Indian Wells. This would have been forgivable if Davydenko was not playing with a broken wrist. Gulbis then mysteriously disappeared off the circuit for a month.

Finally, Gulbis fans have something to cheer for. Not only is 2010 looking like a break through year for Gulbis but he is starting to look like he actually cares about tennis. He was delighted with his win over Lopez, although disgusted with his missed smash on match point. Showing off his refreshing sense of humour in a sea of serious players, Ernests Gulbis asked ‘who’s that’ when an interviewer questioned him about Nadal. Cracking the grin that has disarmed fans worldwide Gulbis appeared happy and relaxed on the tennis court. His fans are happy too, although they are defiantly not relaxed as they prepare to watch their reluctant hero take to the clay courts of Rome to face none other than Nadal tonight. They will be waiting though, ever faithful. This time they even have hope.
I really enjoyed reading that line about the fans that followed and stood by him during that difficult year. I remember clearly those of us watching the matches together, with our breath held and hearts beating out of our chest at every point.

It is an interesting article focusing a lot on his fans and how we feel towards him, however, during that year I don’t feel he disappointed me as the article says. I know many of us reacted differently to that year. Most wanted to scream and rip their hair out at every terrible loss he was more than capable of winning. It was frustrating to see our player, that we know has the talent, loose at such a magnitude. But I don’t think I ever felt he disappointed me. If anything I was more worried about him and how he was dealing with the losses. I know he wanted to win. I never doubted his desire but he clearly lacked direction and desperately needed some guidance. I’m so happy he has found that in Hernan. He has done wonders for his game. In the end I think that terrible year was not wasted time like everyone says. I think it was a deep learning experience. Ernests didn’t put the work in as he should have and he had to learn he couldn’t just win at the drop of a drop shot. He had to work for it. He had to regain confidence in himself and figure out what he wanted in life. That’s what makes this year so meaningful. Yes, we “finally” have something to cheer about, but the way I see it, we always had something to cheer about it’s just HE finally realized it. I know it means a lot to all of us to see him happier! I’m looking forward to the rest of this year as well as next year to see how far he will go and how far he will push himself ! It’s so nice to see some beautiful tennis again.

& I've always had hope. I didn't need these wins to gain that! I knew he could do it! I just had to wait for little light bulb to click over his beautiful curls!

So what do you say Ernests, lets add some more beautiful wins to that resume of yours

(woah, I didn't mean to write so much. Yikes!)
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney

Last edited by TravelingFanGirl : 05-17-2010 at 08:11 PM.
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote