Warm-up - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warm-up

Just wondered what posters' opinions are to this aspect of the game? Do you use this session simply to warm up, or do you try to get tactical insight into your opponent's game - or even more than that attempt to gain a psychological edge of some sort?

This thread was inspired by a guy I played yesterday who was trying to take my head off with every shot in the warm up! I wasn't fazed by it, but it was kind of annoying how aggressive he was being.

Personally, I try to stay relaxed in the warm up and don't hit the ball too hard, just use the time to get used to the conditions and loosen the shoulder a bit for the serve.

A question for the rules experts out there though:

What happens if an opponent refuses to hit with you in the warm up? Can they do that? What if they do hit with you but keep deliberately hitting the ball out so you can't have an effective warm up rally? It's never happened to me fortunately, just curious though.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm-up

From a person who is a top junior or pro (Myself, Ozone, Groove Dude, etc.) yes, you try to get insight on the person. Which side is weaker, strengths, etc. But if you are talented, first off you would have hit for a solid 45 minutes a couple of hours before you played. Also, you would have done some scouting.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

No a player does not have to warm up before the match if they choose not to.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Top junior... those kids...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
country flag ghostkid12

ghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond repute

i use warm-up mainly for finding weaknesses strengths and habits in the opponent. i also use it for loosening up ,calming nerves etc...
Old 06-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

Yes warmups are good for deciphering the opponent's game and it helps me to warm up my shots. Also, if I am struggling with a certain stroke then I will try to figure out a strategy that accomodates that. I really don't try to hit hard until maybe the last few shots and serves
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote