New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
country flag blahblha79

blahblha79 is on a distinguished road
Default New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc

Hi,

I'm an intermediate player and after a few years of not playing tennis(6 yrs), would like to play regularly again. My current racquet is a prince equipe oversize longbody (around 900-1000 power level according to Prince power scheme) and I use 2 handed backhand and eastern grip on my forehand. I see myself more of a baseliner since I only go up to the net occasionally and like to hit winner/force error from the baseline. My groundstrokes are more on the flat side with moderate spin. I have a moderate-long swing. These days I feel this racquet is too heavy for me as I can't get enough spin on the ball and a lot of balls tend to sail long. .

I'm searching for a new racquet that is a bit more forgiving and lighter so I can setup faster and hence get better swing control. I also think that I should get the heaviest racquest I can handle comfortably; since the equipe is around 12.1 oz, I'm thinking 11 oz - does a 1oz weight difference make enough impact on the swing?) After doing my research, here's my top choices (in alphabetical order):

dunlop aerogel 4D 300 or dunlop aerogel 4D 500 Tour
head youtek speed elite or head microgel radical oversized
yonex rqis 2 tour or yonex rds 002 or rds 003

others considered:
babolat aero strike
dunlop aerogel 4D 500
head microgel radical team
prince o3 speedport red
yonex rdis 300

Any advice/recommendation?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by blahblha79 : 06-16-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: adding alternatives
blahblha79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
country flag blahblha79

Default Re: New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical Team, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc

any input? anyone?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
country flag Ace-Ace

Ace-Ace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical Team, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc

Can't help you much, but yes 1 oz. makes a huge difference. You are doing the right thing looking at racquets around 11 oz. For that reason the 300D tour could also be considered rather than the 300D unless you don't want an 18 x 20 string pattern.

Personally don't like the stiffness rating of 500D tour. Same reason I usually stay away from Babolat.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
country flag blahblha79

Thanks for the input. At least I know I'm going the right direction.

The reason I didn't include the 300Tour is from what I've read so far, it seems like the AG 300 is a already a very low powered racquet. Hence, I'm thinking that the 300Tour is probably an even harder racquet to use, which defeats my purpose of finding an easier (relatively to my prince equipe) racquet to play with.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
country flag blahblha79

Default Re: New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc

after some more research, I've narrowed down my choices into these two (in the order of preferences):
1. Dunlop 4D 500 Tour
2. Head Microgel Radical Oversize

any comments?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
country flag Ace-Ace

Ace-Ace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Racket Recommendation - Head Microgel Radical, Dunlop AG 4D 300, etc

They are very different racquets and should be easy to make a decision one way or the other. The radical oversize is a control racquet that should be very arm friendly due to the flexible frame, but the dunlop will give you a lot more power. If you think you can handle the Dunlop you should find an alternative closer to that, like youtek speed elite even though the swingweight might be too heavy on that one.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

while the dunlop 500 tour and head radical oversize are similar in weight, they are dissimilar in pretty much every other respect. from what you have said, i think you would enjoy playing with the radical oversize more; its arm friendly, offers good control while maintaining a generous size sweetspot and is good for flatter hitters
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
country flag blahblha79

Thanks Ace and Jazar for the responses.
Hmm, I was under the impression that although the Dunlop 500 Tour is probably a bit more powerful racquet (being a 'tweener), it still maintains a pretty good control. Am I wrong in thinking that?
About being a baseliner and flatter hitter, I thought this would be a good racquet as I want to be able to impart more spin when I feel like it (i.e, I don't hit flat all the time because I choose to. I used to be able to hit with more spin when I was a beginner with a wilson profile. only after using the prince equipe, I realized that my groundstrokes became more flat). Also, whenever I read about 500 Tour, people categorize it in the Pure Drive category. Hence, being a baseliner...

From what you guys mentioned, is the Dunlop really that jarring to the arm? Some people mentioned in this forum that the new Aerogel 4D actually plays softer than what its stiffness rating indicates?

If I sound like I'm really trying to like the Dunlop, it's because I was just making up my mind on that one yesterday and was about to go out and get one. Now, I'm not as sure. I do know that I like the cosmetics better ;P ). Plus, I was thinking that since I've been using an OS for a while, I'd probably wanna try a midplus.

I do realize that the best thing is to demo each racquet myself. However, since I'm currently living in Indonesia, such a thing is not an option =(

Last edited by blahblha79 : 06-21-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
country flag blahblha79

Btw, regarding Youtek Speed Elite, I did look into it, but since it's new and I've found no reviews yet, I took it out of my list. Has anyone in this forum tried it? I'm not too sure about the head heavy aspect of it either.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

the dunlop 500 tour is a racket that is pretty much a balance between power and control. you get nice power from the stiffness and decent control from the headsize. it is a baseliners racket and does give good access to spin.

while the radical oversize is good for flat hitters, it also provides good access to spin as you have a larger a larger and wider hitting area.

while the aerogel 4d may play softer than its stiffness rating, it will never play as soft as the radical os, which is pretty much the most flexible frame around. the radicals flex means you get more control, more feel and more comfort.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
country flag Galdust

Galdust is on a distinguished road

What is det difference between the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 tour and the 500 tour? I've read a lot about the 300, but can't find much info about the 500. Thanks
Galdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
country flag jazar

the 300 tour is a smaller headsize, heavier and more flexible. it is therefore a more control oriented racket
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
country flag Galdust

Galdust is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jazar. I think I should try the 300 (control > power for me ), but will I get more power with the Aerogel 4D 300 compared to the Aerogel 4D 300 tour? More open string pattern = more power?
Galdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
country flag jazar

with the 300 tour you have to generate most of the power yourself. with the 300 there is a little more power in the frame