Mens Tennis Forums banner

To MTF tennis players, who are you on the ATP

4K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  stzenit 
#1 · (Edited)
If you actually play tennis, what kind of tennis do you play. Which player on the ATP world tour has a game like yours?

I have good forehands and backhands (one hander :)) when hitting down the line, but for some crazy reason I struggle to hit cross-court of both wings. A girlish serve (no offense to anyone) but i make up with well placed chipped returns. I am oftenly clumsy when rushing to the net but once there I can do all types of volleys, stop volley being a personal favorite.

I also struggle with high bouncing balls, especially on the forehand side where my forehand slice is really poor. Oh, I also tend to have concetration lapses in my matches. I have no idea who on the ATP i resemble.

Reactions: superslam77
#2 ·
Interesting thread. I have actually thought about doing before :)

I have a two-handed backhand. Forehand better than backhand, prefer forehand. I am consistent. I mix up my serve with the spins and can make it pretty precise but its not overpowering. Court movement and speed is one of my strenghts.

I have concluded that I play like a mixture between Davydenko and Ferrer.

#5 ·
Interesting thread. I have actually thought about doing before :)

I have a two-handed backhand. Forehand better than backhand, prefer forehand. I am consistent. I mix up my serve with the spins and can make it pretty precise but its not overpowering. Court movement and speed is one of my strenghts.

I have concluded that I play like a mixture between Davydenko and Ferrer.
How well do you manage on the big points?

#6 ·
Guess 1: Rafa?

Guess 2, if need be: Monfils?

#7 ·
I'm like Roger Federer only without the slams.

Reactions: Black Adam
#13 ·
Gasquet quality, I can even do it on the run. Whenever I try to go cross-court it it's at best a short moonball that easilyt put away. The only effective crosscourt backhand I can do is a deep slice.

I also can do good forehand lobs, although same problem of poor cross-court passing shots :)

#12 ·
Oh yeah my single handed BH is SUPER consistent unless the ball is VERY high to corner :p.. if i hit a forehand close to net it has A LOT of topspin ala nadull but if i have to hit from backcourt i hit it very flat. well my biggest weakness is serve..not power but i am a big choker when it comes to serve.

#15 ·
I have experimented with Del Potro style (being more mechanical with my shots). it does give me more power but I only felt comfortable doing it on high balls. So I scrapped the idea after my consistency suffered.

#16 ·
But that's really how you should play... hitting two equal balls differently isn't advisable. Or did I not get what you meant? :confused:

#17 ·
If you actually play tennis, what kind of tennis do you play. Which player on the ATP world tour has a game like yours?

I have good forehands and backhands (one hander :)) when hitting down the line, but for some crazy reason I struggle to hit cross-court of both wings. A girlish serve (no offense to anyone) but i make up with well placed chipped returns. I am oftenly clumsy when rushing to the net but once there I can do all types of volleys, stop volley being a personal favorite.

I also struggle with high bouncing balls, especially on the forehand side where my forehand slice is really poor. Oh, I also tend to have concetration lapses in my matches. I have no idea who on the ATP i resemble.
My secret for high balls is to put A LOT of topspin then i go to the net, i'm also good with smashes because i used to play volleyball in school..average players can't get this back. Even less make good passing shots constantly. for the slice or to have more of a gifted hand is to grab the racket the UPPER AS POSSIBLE and hit it very flat..shh this is my secret but it works to me :wavey: gives me a lot of control for volleys and drop shots for some reason.

#18 ·
I will try the net approaching method you've just suggested. My transition game to net sucks so much that i sometimes prefer doubles where i am already at the net.

#21 ·
Hehe, nice thread. I'd probably describe my game as trying to be Roger Federer but coming across all poor man's Murray.

Serve is ok, like Groove Dude I aim for placement rather than power really. I get a lot of cheap points on faster surfaces but it's harder work on slower courts. I can pretty much do what I want with it in regards to spin, and have a low toss so it's not easy to read. Have been serving more double faults than I'd like into the deuce court lately though, so something's not quite right, but I'm working on it.

Groundstrokes are solid, if not spectacular. Can hit the forehand big but need the right ball to do it, backhand is a solid rally shot with a good slice and I pass really well from that side. Volleys are good, I punch the ball well with my backhand and have a good drop volley with the forehand.

I generally perform better when I'm aggressive, but I usually try to adapt my style to whatever the opponent throws at me, sometimes for the better other times far too passive.

#23 ·
:haha: :lol:
As for me I am kind of Niemenen :lol: maybe Murray while in form :devil:

#24 ·
Interesting...I would say I'm a Coria/Hewitt with a mix of Simon. I'm pretty fast around the court and I like to defend. I would say my strokes are kinda like Hewitt, not too flat though. My groundstrokes are very consistent and I like to go for angles a little more. My serve is like Coria's (yikes) - I struggle mightily with it, but I like my chances if I get into a rally. I like to drop shot and lob a lot like both Coria and Hewitt, and sometimes I just play neutral like Simon.

#25 ·
I'm 1.93m so my serve is probably my strongest shot (when I manage to get it in) - so maybe you could say im like Dr. Ivo, but you have to replace aces with double faults, hehe :)

Other than that: My forehand is definitly better than my backhand, tried to switch to a single hander in honor of Roger, but didn't manage. Now I am back to my sorry impression of a double-hander. Prefer CC, especially on the backhand side. And I also really really like to play S&V and watch balls pass by me regularly... ;)

I also like to play aggressivly on the return of serve. So I don't really now which player I resume most... suggestions?

By the way: great thread! ;)

#26 ·
I'm a mixture of soderling and seppi.
Im a defensive baseliner.
so check my site for more about my game:

www.freewebs.com/tydilello

#28 ·
Excellent thread;

I am a big guy, 1,94 and with more or less 90 kg(depends how much I work on it), seeing this stats i would probably come out as a basher, far from that, growing up on 100% clay makes the difference, I am right handed, speed isnt' my thing, but i have great anticipation, and i read the game very well, I try to make my opponent run playing smart, as I am not the fastest guy on court, as I said my reactions for a big guy are of high order, I have great stamina, so i rarely break down phisically in long matches; I have a huge serve, i mix it up, usually go for placement, kick serves, my 1st serve percentage should be better(have to work on it), my fh is my stronger shot, huge down the line, bh used to be doubel handed when i was a teen, i had a left shoulder operation, and after started to play one-handed, my best shot by far is my bh slice and bh drop shot, due to playing bh one handed i developped great touch and feel of that side, very hard to read, teh slice keeps low, and gives me a lot of free points; I love to follow it up at the net, the slice gives the majority players I play at club level big problems, cause they are not used to it, it often takes me too much time to settle in a match, to find rythm, and then i have to come back, so i am an obvious slow starter, when i make silly errors i often go down on myself to much, Ivanisevic liek temper I guess, as a kid used to abuse my racquet untill my parents refused to buy me a new one, since i am buying my own raquets i haven't smashed a single one, took me a while to calm down, but that comes with the years.......

I'd consider myself an amateur version of Henman with more claycourt pedigree....

#29 ·
My backhand is better than my forehand. I can do DTL or CC consistently and accurately. My forehand can sometimes get too much spin in relation to pace and drop short. Also FH DTL is my worst shot, but CC is very consistent.

I can hit slice and topspin serves, but I rarely go for a big flat one. I mostly try to get in a slice serve and open the court. Good returner of serve especially on the BH side.

My slice backhand is mediocre at best, but I do have a capable BH dropshot. Good lobber and passer. I rarely come to net except for "one shot putaways." Quick mover, really good at finding others' weaknesses and exploiting it to the best of my games ability.

Reading this I guess one would assume I'm a defensive player, but I'm frequently looking to take control of the points especially off 2nd serve returns.

#30 ·
Actual play is more like Hewitt (good defense, nothing special off either wing...just consistent and flat, struggling to upgrade the serve...gained some power, lost some consistency). Wanna be more like Henman...even in singles. S/V, chip-n-charge...call it what you want. I'm getting old and can't/won't hang in protracted rallies anymore either physically or mentally. I'm quite competent at net. :angel: Might as well take advantage.

#31 ·
No idea, my game is vary varied. I play double handed both sides, i can make impossible cross court angles, and thanks to these i come to the net often too and im a relatively good volleyer. I mix it up sometimes with one handed slice off both sides and a very flat one hand backhand. I love lobs and returning (im a horrible server but good returner, i destroy 2nd serves consistently) Im just 6'0 and pretty slender, im that that strong but place the well perfectly, and i have excellent footwork and love to move around shots to surprise my opponent.

I guess Santoro just because of the variety? Its so different though, impossible to compare to someone.

#33 ·
Davydenko,Ferrer ;)

#34 ·
Serve=Copied Safin but recently Ive gone for less power and more %.
Back Hand=Copied Safin(But its less consistent and not a shot i want to be hitting at 30-30 30-40)
Forehand=Similar to Andreev, my best shot i feel i can hit a winner anywhere on court with it.
Volleying=Non existent just run to the net in hope.
Movement=Safin 09(a.k.a statue)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.