Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best indoor players ever?

8K views 94 replies 48 participants last post by  Chirag 
#1 ·
What are the rankings for most indoor (hard/carpet) tournament wins?

#2 ·
1. Lendl
2. Becker
3. Sampras
4. Ivanisevic
5. McEnroe
6. Stich
7. Edberg
8. Borg
9. Enqvist
10. Safin

#9 ·
Is that just an opinion, or are you counting tournament wins?

#18 ·
Maybe this gave Pete some comfort, because Boris gave him nightmares indoors from 95-96.

I think Boris was a bit overrated on carpet. Very good, but only one masters cup in the late 80s. Kind of pales in comparison to Lendl's nine consecutive masters cup finals in a row.

#5 ·
:worship::worship: his efforts on the German ice rink at the Masters were too good.

#13 ·
Nalby had one hell of a indoor season in 2007, the best one any player has had in the last year :shrug:

the last two TMS (specially Paris) are usually either tanking-land or injury-fatigue-withdrawal-land and people aren't really consistent except for Fat Dave ;)

#14 ·
That's when McDonald's and Burger King raise their prices.

#16 ·
no. :sad:

FatDave makes me angry just to see that much talent go to waste...

#26 ·
Scud.

#34 ·
If someone can post the indoor-tournament wins for all of these players, that would actually resolve the issue.

#37 ·
Why don't you do some research yourself? Lendl made the TMC final 8 times in a row, when it was actually fast, not like now. Carpet and hardcourt play differently.

#38 ·
If you say BEST EVER, one has to include Gonzalez, Rosewall and Laver in that they played most of their Pro matches indoors. Sampras,Lendl and Becker were also great indoor players. No doubt Roger and Rafa are too, but they don't play that many matches indoors.

#39 ·
Interestingly, Murray has a better win-loss ratio indoors than Federer, Sampras and Becker. Still inferior to Lendl though.

Yeah I know indoor surfaces are very different now than they used to be and this doesn't really say a lot but it's interesting none the less. Murray's record under a roof is insanely good, I think people forget that he has won 7 of his 11 tournaments indoors.

With the masters being indoors in London for atleast the next 3 years, it looks likely that murray might get a good record going in it.

#42 ·
Indoor winning percentages of players mentioned so far -

Mcenroe - 85.2%
Lendl - 82.9%
Connors - 81.9%
Borg - 80.8%
Murray - 80.0%
Becker - 79.8%
Federer - 79.1%
Sampras - 77.7%
Nalbandian - 72.6%
Edberg - 71.2%
Soderling - 70.6%
Stich - 68.6%
Ivanisevic - 67.7%
Safin - 62.7%
Enqvist - 62.6%

Make of that as you will. I personally would rank Lendl the best for his masters record. Sampras win-loss ratio is fairly low as I expected, he always does quite poor in these kind of stats as he tended to peak for big tournaments and have fairly average years outside of them.

#44 ·
Murray's stats don't mean that much when he has played St.Petersburg twice and that is not one of the strongest fields.

#46 ·
Everyone on the list played lots of MM tournaments. Especially people like Lendl and Connors.

Murray's winning percentage is more likely to go up than down imo. Most of his matches in his record were before he hit his current form.

#48 ·
Murray has won a masters series event indoors. There's only one bigger tournament than that.

So you're saying only players who've won the masters should be included?

Murrays stats were merely meant to be an interesting point, I never suggested he's in the top 5 Indoor players of all time.

#49 ·
He has won 1 Masters event indoors, apart from Söderling the others are multiple winners of Masters events or the end of season championships.

It's like lets throw Murray in there, when he isn't in the top 10 and it's too early at this moment to think that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.