My thoughts from Winston-Salem - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default My thoughts from Winston-Salem

Best player of the week: Guillermo Garcia-Lopez - would have won if he hadn't got tired vs Querrey IMO. Singlehandedly lost his and Oswald's doubles match though.

Worst player of the week: Leonardo Mayer - Just terrible. Nothing else to say. Dzumhur was unimpressive too.

Nicest player of the week: Guillermo Garcia-Lopez - took a selfie with my friend, talked at length with people who wanted an autograph, laughed at himself when losing, generally just came off a nice guy.

Least nice player of the week: Jerzy Janowicz - Came off a complete jerk, telling Sousa he touched ball yet not conceding the point, didn't sign many autographs, made ushers basically clear the court because he couldn't stop yelling at Sousa even after he won. Awful coaching team didn't help, yelling "davai Jerzy" every time his opponent was near them. It's a crime it looks like he'll win after Sousa match

Best performance of the week: Dustin Brown vs Alejandro Gonzalez- Brown was just untouchable. Everything he hit was gold. Gonzalez looked totally helpless, laughing and shaking his head as ridiculous winners whizzed by.

Worst performance of the week: Marcel Granollers vs Yen-hsun Lu- Got to court late, missed nearly every shot in the groundstroke part of the warm up, sliced everything throughout the match. Looked like he was at least sort of trying (he was running full force at least) but he wasn't playing normally at all. Especially odd as he looked good against PHM. Seppi against Lu and Mayer against Goffin also contend here.

Comeback of the week: Florin Mergea & Joao Sousa- Down 7-1 in a supertiebreak to Young and Monroe, they proceeded to save 4 match points, including a clean 90 MPH+ backhand full stretch first serve return winner by Mergea. Great fight, most dramatic match of the week except the Janowicz-Sousa catastrophe.

Best match of the week: Guillermo Garcia-Lopez vs Donald Young- Amazing match, best one I've seen live for sure. Both played well, GGL hit some enormous forehands, Young's defense was great. Young saved 2 MPs in spectacular fashion only to double fault on one of his own, after which GGL hit two great shots to win it 8-6 in the tiebreak. Other contenders are Mergea/Sousa- Young/Monroe, Haase-Kukushkin, and Garcia-Lopez- Brown

Worst match of the week: Andreas Seppi vs Federico Delbonis- This was some incredibly ugly tennis. There was a lot of grinding and yet also mountains of unforced errors. After splitting the first two sets, a very lengthy start of the third allowed Seppi to lead 2-1, after which Delbonis kind of gave up. Other contenders are Querrey-Anderson, Rosol-Harrison, Seppi-Lu, Delbonis-Klizan. And Janowicz-Querrey probably, but didn't see that live.

Other thought:

Garcia-Lopez's game is much prettier than it looks on TV

Delbonis's game is very ugly, much more so than it looks on TV

Robredo tanked hard, and Granollers either tanked or was drunk/injured/horrible

Donald Young is a mix of unlucky and choker. Nice game though.

Every match with Seppi in it is horrible.

Janowicz has an extremely impressive game, is unfortunately also extremely unlikable.

Philipp Oswald is cool.

Anderson's game isn't as bad as it looks, Querrey's is even worse.

Officials have something seriously against Joao Sousa.

Sousa himself has an extreme temper, but is also an incredible fighter.

Florin Mergea's wife (I think) is really attractive and really passionate, best supporter there was.

Janowicz's coaching box is ridiculously annoying, Delbonis's coach takes very extensive notes, Lu's just seem happy

Leonardo Mayer is really really bad when he's not on

Donald Young completely carries his doubles partner (Monroe)

Sam Groth's serve is ridiculous. Looks much more impressive than Isner's or Querrey's

Kukushkin is incredible on the run, not very good when he isn't

Paire is completely crazy

Haase makes pretty heavy use of delays after his opponent wins the second set.

Granollers mysteriously partnered Andujar in doubles. His play at net made this more mysterious.

It's hot. Ridiculously hot.

Rosol made the final without playing a single good or even okay match

It's a nice tournament overall, though the matches seemed to progressively get lower quality. Hope to go again next year.

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem

Last edited by emotion : 08-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My thoughts from Winston-Salem

Very nice boy gets the least nice player of the week tag lol.
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
country flag Illusive Man

Illusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's hot. Ridiculously hot.

Its the southern USA in August. Were you expecting snow?

Quote:
It's a nice tournament overall, though the matches seemed to progressively get lower quality. Hope to go again next year.
You should come to Cincy next year!

Tier 1: Fish, Kuznetsov, Donskoy, Kyrgios, Vesely, Thiem, Coric

Tier 2: All other young players (We need a new generation of players!)

Tier 3: Carreno, Pella, Struff, Janowicz, Goffin
Illusive Man is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Photo album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f1ca21e3ff
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=06888baf5c

A few pics

I'd say Garcia-Lopez, Oswald, and to a lesser degree Sousa gained me as a fan. Janowicz lost me as one. Mohammed Layhani is awesome, the bald umpire from Egypt was not popular.

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem

Last edited by emotion : 08-23-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
country flag Andrej

Andrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond repute

Jerkzy's a jerk. NID.
Andrej is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond reputeSERVivor has a reputation beyond repute

The matches probably got worse as the week progressed because the players are just geared towards practicing for the U.S. Open. They don't want to leave everything on the court at Winston Salem.

If you want to see players give their all (for the most part) and get the most value for your money, go to the U.S. Open and get a grounds pass ($58.00). And you can see WTA matches too. Some of them aren't bad. You can even take the train right in to NC City and hop on the 7 train to the Tennis Complex.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

Couple more pics of Rosol seem called for

Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
country flag Theo11321045

Theo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that lukas was very lucky to make it into the final with the retirements of harrison and isner

AO(4): 08' 11' 12' 13'
RG(0):
WC(2): 11' 14'
USO(1): 11'
Career titles: 48 Highest ranking: 1

Others: Lukas Rosol, Andy Murray, Marat Safin, Andy Roddick, Dominic Thiem, Borna Coric
Theo11321045 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mate

BTW - just learned here that Seppi is playing with a Pro Kennex racquet didn't know, huh..

p.s. is it the GF in the second album? nice young lady
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
country flag Mateya
Mateja Seppieva

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Every match with Seppi in it is horrible.

Nice report and observations though.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour Association of tennis players without variety and plan B.
Vote for Mateya!
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
thanks mate

BTW - just learned here that Seppi is playing with a Pro Kennex racquet didn't know, huh..
He's had it a while, hasn't he? Or was it another little-known brand he had before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
p.s. is it the GF in the second album? nice young lady
On and off. Right now...sorta not really. Not "Facebook official" in a couple months though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post

Sorry I have a sample size of three matches so perhaps not always true The Delbonis-Seppi match was brutal though, and he was abysmal against Lu. The Mahut match was only fairly bad if that is any comfort.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice report, emotion.
Thanks a lot. Interesting read.
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012, Montpellier 2013 & Barcelona 2014
[TT]: -
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Glad Cheatzy didn't win in the end.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #14
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice analysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Had a father come up to me and try to make me feel bad about losing. He said it must be rough on the ego to lose to a 10 yo girl to which I did my best to answer politically.

Then some mother came by and did the same, laughing at me. I told her Coco will be great and so will I, to which she did her best to contain her laughter
TF proving their knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
No such thing on MTF. If they were knowledgeable, they wouldn't be wasting their time with those pushing mugathions of men's tennis and would be watching the WTA like we do.
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
He's had it a while, hasn't he? Or was it another little-known brand he had before?

On and off. Right now...sorta not really. Not "Facebook official" in a couple months though
yeah, Seppi might have had it for a while now, it just never crossed my sight and i was quite surprised today.

and yeah, keep working on that project, it does look worth it big time
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote