Live match threads in GM - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Live match threads in GM

RE Scoobs:

No one discusses the matches in the tournament forums. Those threads are empty for a reason. Saying that they should be discussed in the tournament forums isn't a reason. You're just making a statement. Why aren't WWW threads and result threads also in the tournament forums if live match discussion should be in there? You are enforcing rules without bothering to even question them.

What exactly is the downside to discussing live matches in the WWW threads, since they exist in GM anyway? A large chunk of the forum goes elsewhere to discuss live matches. Why not fix the problem and allow discussion in GM? Not one person has stated what the downside is.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live match threads in GM

I think live match posts allowed in the WWW threads would make perfect sense.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Scoobs, are you going to respond? You told me to take my concerns here, yet no moderator or admin has responded.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

You may not have noticed but it's been a pretty interesting day and this hasn't registered high on the priority list.

I don't have any further response to what I already said on this last night.

I will however take it to the mods and admins and we will revisit the issue and decide whether it's worth making some changes or leaving it as it is.

Once that's taken place, and it might take a few days, then I or someone else will come back to you on this thread.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Why aren't WWW threads and result threads also in the tournament forums if live match discussion should be in there?
Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums, not allowing live match discussion in the WWW thread. It'd be extremely difficult to moderate. The GM mods are already busy. There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped, but these threads require almost constant policing because some people have such little tact and respect for their fellow posters and tennis players. I think to ask the GM mods to take this on would be unfair. I do agree it's a consistency problem, and it is one that I myself have brought up to the other mods. I personally think WWW Threads are completely inappropriate for GM.

Also, a lot of people are watching/following more than one match at a time. a WWW thread is for one specific match, so we'd also have to police people talking about multiple matches at once - which is not a problem in OP threads in the tourney forums but would be a HUGE problem in GM if this were allowed. I'm absolutely against allowing match discussions in GM, considering the fact that there is a whole forum for every single tournament. To alleviate the inconsistency, perhaps WWW threads should be put in the tourney forums too, but allowing in-match discussion in GM in any threads would turn into a total mess in my opinion.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums, not allowing live match discussion in the WWW thread. It'd be extremely difficult to moderate. The GM mods are already busy. There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped, but these threads require almost constant policing because some people have such little tact and respect for their fellow posters and tennis players. I think to ask the GM mods to take this on would be unfair. I do agree it's a consistency problem, and it is one that I myself have brought up to the other mods. I personally think WWW Threads are completely inappropriate for GM.

Also, a lot of people are watching/following more than one match at a time. a WWW thread is for one specific match, so we'd also have to police people talking about multiple matches at once - which is not a problem in OP threads in the tourney forums but would be a HUGE problem in GM if this were allowed. I'm absolutely against allowing match discussions in GM, considering the fact that there is a whole forum for every single tournament. To alleviate the inconsistency, perhaps WWW threads should be put in the tourney forums too, but allowing in-match discussion in GM in any threads would turn into a total mess in my opinion.
Every other tennis forum I've been on copes with separate match threads. What on earth makes MTF any different? You guys make out like GM is the busiest forum on the planet. I've moderated forums that are infinitely busier than MTF. It's utter nonsense. If live match discussions aren't allowed in GM, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere. The principle is the same, unless you are moving live match discussion to the tournament forum specifically to keep them quiet. If your intention is to have lively match discussions (as it should be), you're going to have to moderate them. Let's say for argument's sake that match threads in the tournament forum became just as busy as they would be on GM (it's possible since access isn't restricted). What would you do? Ban live match discussions altogether?

This just doesn't wash. Every other tennis forum copes with live match discussions. If a poster gets out of line, delete the post and give an infraction. It's not like the whole forum will be in one thread breaking every rule in the book. That's the whole point of handing out warnings: to stop people from breaking the rules. It's like you guys are trying to decrease the workload, rather than trying to improve the forum. People would stay on MTF instead of buggering off to Tennis Warehouse or some other forum that can be bothered to accommodate live match discussions. If other forums can do it without a problem, so can MTF. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
country flag pogotheorist

pogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums... There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped.
I believe it's the random walk of network effects - interest follows the action, and laziness causes people to post in GM unless prevented - so it becomes the hot spot, and tourney forums are flyblown dereliction zones where only gamblers hang out. If MTF were consistent about pushing match-specific threads such as WWW into the tournament forums, they would come to life again.

What's happened now is not deliberate, but it is a shame. There should be live match threads, as Clydey says; but there's little incentive to start them in a place no-one looks. Have to either allow them back in to the humming urban core, or do some city planning to push traffic and vitality out to the suburbs.
pogotheorist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

There's still a somewhat vigorous discussion going on among the mods as to what we want to do about this.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
There's still a somewhat vigorous discussion going on among the mods as to what we want to do about this.
Sounds enthralling. Can someone take snap shots of various vigorous posts and then upload them, please. Merci Beaucoup.

Re: a point made earlier in the thread. I don't believe people use other tennis forums other than MTF simply because of a lack of GM live match thread. Other reasons may be that you can get a better discussion elsewhere than MTF at times, for various reasons. As well as the fact MTF servers are a disgrace and they could give a fuck about their paying subscribers - something which has been proven time and again.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce it for Wimbledon. A sort of grand opening. It could make for some lively GM discussion.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Why not do what TW did and create a subforum for live match results on the front page of GM:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

The people that were complaining about the live match threads in the tournament forums being full of gamblers in the past, either moved to the live match threads in the gamblers lounge, or stopped posting at all in the tournament forums.

I say just move the live scoring threads from the gamblers lounge back to the tournament forums.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
country flag LinkMage

LinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, the "OOP & Scores" threads in the tournament forums used to get at least 500 posts per day (usually much more) but they were killed by the mods introducing new rules.

Lahm

Kroos :fuck you:
LinkMage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

I still don't see why we shouldn't use the WWW threads. GM is the core of the forum, where pretty much every poster goes. It's the most active. We have the WWW threads anyway, so just discuss the matches in there. It's not like the forum would be getting polluted by loads of new match threads, since the WWW thread exist anyway.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
Why not do what TW did and create a subforum for live match results on the front page of GM:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
This isn't a bad idea as a compromise. TW do that specifically so people can avoid results if they want to, though. We already post match results on GM.

I'm in favour of discussing any given match (before, during, and after) in the WWW threads.