The "Life is Completely Unfair, But We are Proud to be Your Fans" Grass Season Thread - Page 43 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #631
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Life is Completely Unfair, But We are Proud to be Your Fans" Grass Season Th

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #632
country flag andymo

andymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond reputeandymo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Life is Completely Unfair, But We are Proud to be Your Fans" Grass Season Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by njorker View Post
Same here. I haven't visited MTF for a while and I just didn't have the heart to visit it especially after that heartbreaking loss. And even after logging on now, I came straight to Andy's forum; I wanted to avoid General Forums. People can be so cruel there.

And what do you know? After reading some of the articles, I'm crying like a baby again. I wish I could get over Andy's loss but I'm afraid it would take him winning a GS before my heart can completely heal again. I might sound a bit melodramatic but to the most loyal Andy fans, I hope you would understand when I say that I am thoroughly and completely heartbroken with his loss...still.

Aside from my crying stint right after the final, I was also praying like a maniac for Andy to win. I read this ESPN article which says something along the lines of "...you begin to wonder who will get over Andy's heartbreaking loss first, him or his ardent fans?" And I'm beginning to think Andy might be over his loss (or might be putting a brave face, I don't know) and has moved on. And I have mad respect for Andy (more now than ever) because honestly, how could you move on quickly after a loss like that? So I have to say it's the fans who will carry this heartbreak longer than Andy will.

Sorry for the blabber. Just had to get it out of my system. And I just have to say, I never lost my faith in Andy. Win or lose, he has been my guy since 2002, he is the reason I started watching tennis. I am always, always his girl.
Totally understandable. I had to stop reading the acticles over and over again because I was crying every time. But since I saw what Andy is posting on Twitter, I am not as sad because Andy is getting over it and he is back in Austin and having fun and relaxing so everything is good. I think he will come back even stronger and he will not give up. So stop your tears and rejoice because the future is looking gooddddddddddd.............xxxx
andymo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #633
country flag Heather1229

Heather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Any confirmation on whether or not Andy is definitely going to be playing Indy?
Heather1229 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #634
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

Well he is listed and the website states that they are proud to be welcoming him back so I guess that confirms it.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #635
country flag Selby

Selby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond reputeSelby has a reputation beyond repute

Andy seems to be pretty upbeat now so I think everything will go as planned including his schedule.
Selby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #636
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why he wouldn't....

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #637
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Andy is playing Indy and one of their reps says ticket sales spiked 150% after Andy's performance at Wimbledon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...-Roddick.html#

Only the greatest could have won against Roddick
6th July 2009

Minor royalty presented Roger Federer with the prize that marks his place in history, but Andy Roddick gave him the greatest gift of all.

By forcing Federer to endure the longest final set in Grand Slam history, he provided the epic match that puts his achievements into perspective. With his 15th Grand Slam win, the record books state that Federer is now the finest tennis player ever, and if there remained resistance to that announcement it will have ended with a Wimbledon final that wasonly concluded in the 30th match of the fifth set.

Roddick’s bravery, his tenacity, athleticism and some stunning tennis from a player reborn ensured that nobody could be left in any doubt that Federer now stands alone. The past greats, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver, were there to bear witness, but nobody could have expected a match of such relentless, mercilessly high quality. Just as there has never been anyone like Federer, there has never been anything like this final.

Longest game: Andy Roddick hugs Roger Federer after their epic Wimbledon final

At the end, before the Duke of Kent could give Federer the trophy, Roddick had to receive his consolation prize. As the guard of honour was forming and the dignitaries were getting into position, a chant rose from the Centre Court crowd, soft at first, but growing in resonance and fervour until it was taken up by every man, woman and child in the stadium: 'Roddick, Roddick, Roddick . . . '

The loser stood and the roar that greeted this acknowledgement of his special part in the making of history was surely louder than has been heard for any beaten finalist, even the favourite sons of SW19. Indeed, when Federer was called forward there was barely a difference in decibel level. Never has the cliche about no man deserving to lose contained more truth.

Many of those who had arrived eager with anticipation of Federer’s 15th Slam were converted to Roddick’s cause by the end. Not just through the British love of the underdog, either; more because Roddick was up against a uniquely mighty opponent, yet had fought with such heart and had raised his game to such a level that he did not deserve to be crushed.

If there was a point at which both men could have shaken hands and agreed to saw the gold cup in half, it would have suited our native sense of fair play. But this is sport and its demands are black and white, a victor and a vanquished. At least nobody plays We Are The Champions, with its crass line about having no time for losers, at major tennis events.

How courageous was Roddick’s performance? Well, at the end of the second set he was as good as given the last rites, in sporting terms. Roddick had already won the first set against expectations 7-5 and was leading 6-2 in the tiebreak, serving for the set and a 2-0 lead. Federer picked up a beautiful crosscourt winner off his feet, then held his service points to take the score to 6-5.

It was at that moment that Roddick missed an easy volley at the net that would have given him the set. Now the score was tied; two points later so was the match, and the rapid demise of Roddick was widely predicted. As the third set was due to begin, he even walked to the wrong end, such was his mental turmoil, and Federer promptly raced to a 40-0 lead in the first game.

Centre Court appeared to be watching one of those sad disintegrations that occur in sport when a lesser player or team knows the chance of victory has passed. To Roddick’s credit, even as he dealt with immense frustration and disappointment, he never saw himself as the support act in another man’s show.

Sages predicted that a Federer win was a matter of time and, while they were right, what could not have been imagined was how much time, the game still in progress almost three hours later.

Far from being mentally diminished, Roddick rallied after another tiebreak defeat to win the fourth set and take Federer, and the final, into areas never considered.

The longest final set of any Grand Slam tournament was in 1927 when Rene Lacoste defeated William Tilden 11-9 in the French Open and then by the same margin in the US Championships (although tennis was very different in those days, the first set of the final against Tilden in the US also ended 9-7 and nobody got to sit down at changeovers).

Presumably, Lacoste was so exhausted after these exertions that he gave it all up to make T-shirts, and who can blame him?

Last year, when Rafael Nadal beat Federer 9-7 in the final here, many thought they had seen the greatest match in Wimbledon’s history, and when Nadal announced he could not defend his trophy through injury it was considered that the spark had gone from The Championships.

It would be too easy for Federer, was the consensus. Unless Andy Murray became inspired on home turf, they might as well begin engraving the trophy now.

Roddick made a mockery of that presumption, of so many presumptions in fact, firstly that it required his A game to beat Murray in the semi-final. As we now know, it was only his B-plus performance. Herewas Roddick’s peak this year, perhaps even in his career, and that Federer still found the wit and strength to defeat him over 30 games in the final set is what puts him apart as a champion.

'How would you describe what you did here today?' Roddick was asked. 'I lost,' he deadpanned. And, yes, he did, and nothing else matters to such a competitor. Yet, for once, the black and white cannot be allowed to tell the whole story.

Roger Federer is now beyond debate the greatest tennis player there has been and we know this because after four hours and 17 minutes and 77 games on July 5, 2009, he was fractionally better than Andy Roddick. And if he wasn’t the greatest player in the history of the sport he would not have been. It is as simple as that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article-1197724-059AF381000005DC-297_468x366.jpg (48.3 KB, 214 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #638
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

It would have gone up 300% if he had won...
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #639
country flag Thaddaeus

Thaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, my name is Tad. Life is completely unfair, but I'm proud to be a Roddick fan.
Thaddaeus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #640
country flag Deboogle!.

Hi Tad! Welcome!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #641
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-andy-roddick

A Briton's Tribute To The Biggest Heart in Tennis: Andy Roddick
by clarabella bevis
July 04, 2009

Wall-to-wall Andy Murray: that’s been the reality of living in the UK for at least a month.

The hype began with the start of his campaign at Queens Club, and went into overdrive when he won that title.

Ever since, the media—from broadsheets to tabloids, radio to television, BBC to Wimbledon FM—have built up the Murray campaign to win his first Grand Slam for his home nation.

Even the launch of his new “look” was built around the Fred Perry heritage—with a nod to Roger Federer’s cardie last year. You have to admire the bravado of emulating that particular fashion statement.

And to his credit, Murray has borne the attention with extraordinary confidence.

But for a Briton, and one who’s known to follow tennis all year round, it became a really tricky place to be. The further Murray advanced, the more frequent the questions.

“Can he win?”
“Is he good enough?”
“You must be so excited!”

And the answers were: yes; yes; and, well… that’s when life got difficult.

For what I want is that the British fall in love with tennis, not just Wimbledon.

I want the winner of this most illustrious of titles to be the most deserving, the best player on the day, the most resilient and creative.

If that happens to be Murray, and one day it will be, I’ll cheer with the rest.

But on Friday, in the semi-finals, Murray was outplayed by the better, more resilient and creative man. That Andy Roddick also happened to be gracious, gutsy, and committed 110 percent to this sport made it that much more enjoyable.

But the media on Saturday morning? Wall-to-wall Murray.

Now I am as patriotic as the next woman. I remember Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon, during the Queen’s Silver Jubilee, with great pride, emotion, and satisfaction.

Wade had already won both the Australian and the US Slams, but it took her another five years to claim Wimbledon. It was timely, but she also happened to play a perfect serve-volley tournament, and was the deserving winner.

On this occasion, too, Roddick was the right winner.

It’s impossible not to be impressed by what he achieved, not simply in beating Murray and the Wimbledon crowd, but in his own personal endeavour to challenge at the very highest level again.

When he won the US Open six years ago, he looked set to win many more Slams. It was his fate to peak at the same time as Federer, who beat him in his following three Slam opportunities.

But Roddick is made of stern stuff. He has a never-say-die character, and one of the best work-ethics on the tour. He took on a new coach, a new training regime, lost weight and listened to new tactics. That takes both intelligence and commitment.

And the rewards have started to flow once more.

At Wimbledon this year, he has demonstrated a little more patience during rallies. He has developed a new backhand drive, particularly effective down the line, that has been absent in his career until now. He has shown a willingness to follow his serve to the net, and has played classy volleys when he got there.

Meanwhile that extra training and conditioning has improved both nimbleness and flexibility. He is better able to change the pace, break up the rhythm, mix up spin and direction.

Yet the old assets remain: superb serving; an intensity that never wavers; and maximum effort at all times.

To cap it all, Roddick showed extraordinary generosity and graciousness towards Murray in his post-match interview: “I can’t say enough good things about Andy’s game.”

More telling, he was near to tears in expressing how much his renewed success means. “I never thought I’d play another Grand Slam final again.”

Asked if his win was the result of just a little more effort this year, he calmly countered “I’ve had my shortcomings, but trying hard has not been one of them.”

Here is a player and a person who is a worthy winner by any measure. And this particular Briton is happy to make that the headline.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #642
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the club Tad.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #643
country flag Thaddaeus

Thaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddaeus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Hi Tad! Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis lover View Post
Welcome to the club Tad.
Thanks

I'm loving the news articles posted in this thread. Very heartening.
Thaddaeus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #644
country flag Deboogle!.

Roddick's Wimbledon aftermath: What's the damage?

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Posted by Abigail Lorge, TENNIS.com

After the Red Sox's excruciating 11th-inning loss in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, I thought they could win the next five straight World Series, and it wouldn't make up for the fact they should have been in it that year. Of course, Boston did win the World Series the next season -- and again two years after that -- but those triumphs couldn't undo the earlier suffering of the players and fans who had experienced the agony of Aaron Boone.

Andy Roddick has no doubt suffered in the wake of his valiant but ultimately futile effort against Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final earlier this month. The captivating, four-hour-plus match took a tangible physical toll: A right hip flexor injury forced Roddick's withdrawal from the Americans' Davis Cup tie the following week, and then from this week's ATP event in Indianapolis.

But the larger issue is how Roddick is recovering, psychologically, from Wimbledon. It could go one of two ways: Roddick could view his performance in the final as evidence that he is still improving and that, at age 26, his best tennis is in front of him. Such an attitude could propel him to good results on the summer hard-court circuit and at the U.S. Open, which he won in 2003 (to date his only major title). Or, if Roddick is still reeling from the disappointment of having come so close to winning Wimbledon -- those four squandered set points in the second-set tiebreaker would haunt even the most resilient and optimistic person -- he might be shut out forever at the All-England Club.

Mary Carillo, the broadcaster and former pro player, is in the former camp. Carillo said on Tuesday that she thinks Larry Stefanki, a perfect coaching fit for Roddick, will help his pupil see the positives of what transpired during his Wimbledon fortnight. Roddick is a much better player now than he was when he was losing the final in 2004 and 2005 (also to Federer, both times). It's not just the famously improved fitness, though since Roddick shed 15 pounds at Stefanki's suggestion, he's been able to construct better points, give himself more options and hang in during long rallies instead of being forced to bail by going for too much too early. It's also Roddick's better backhand (no longer a pronounced deficiency), improved in-match mental toughness and more mature approach to the game overall. The fact that he held serve an astounding 37 consecutive times against Federer before finally being broken for the championship shows the quality of tennis Roddick produced during that record-long final, which went 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14. Roddick pushed a player against whom he had a 2-18 record going in to the absolute brink. Carillo said she thinks Stefanki will use that experience to guide Roddick to another Open title, and to the Wimbledon title one day as well.

But there's also a chance that Roddick could be irrevocably damaged by what happened on Centre Court on July 5. Considering the depth of men's tennis today, and the fact this is the era of Rafael Nadal and Federer, Roddick must know that even if he continues to improve, getting back to the final is a tall order. He had to play one of the best matches of his career to upset No. 3 Andy Murray in the semifinals; now that he's 0-3 in Wimbledon finals, he must wonder if he'll get another chance at the trophy.

There is no clear tennis precedent for how a player recovers from a disappointment of those proportions. Jana Novotna's notorious collapse against Steffi Graf in the 1993 ladies' final wasn't just a missed opportunity, like Roddick's; it was a meltdown that left her sobbing on the shoulder of the Duchess of Kent. Nonetheless, Novotna recovered from infamy to make the Wimbledon final twice more and claim the Venus Rosewater Dish in 1998. But Novotna had an easier road, to put it mildly, than Roddick will have in coming years. Her final opponent the year she won Wimbledon? Nathalie Tauziat, not exactly an overwhelming force.

Michael Chang is an example of a player who, unlike Novotna, couldn't regroup after suffering major disappointment. At the 1997 U.S. Open final, with Pete Sampras losing in the fourth round, returning finalist Chang was the hyped American of the second week. But he missed an opportunity to get to his second straight final, going out against eventual champion Patrick Rafter in the semis. An hour after the match ended, Chang's brother and coach, Carl, sat despondent in the empty stadium, evidently aware that Michael had missed his last best chance at winning the Open. Chang went on to play six more seasons, but he never again got past the third round of a major.

It's unclear whether Roddick thinks this year's Wimbledon was his own last best chance. Though the fanfare was for Federer, it was impossible in the aftermath of the final not to feel sympathy for Roddick, who was clearly crushed. Nearly three weeks later, I imagine it's still acutely painful for him to think about how close he came to winning the title young players dream of. I'm sure the American crowd will acknowledge his achievement at the U.S. Open next month. With some time to mourn and the right encouraging words from Stefanki, Roddick could find himself buoyed by the confidence that comes from knowing he was so close to finally taking down Federer and winning Wimbledon. I hope the near-miss will serve as positive motivation in future Grand Slam finals, instead of haunting him for the rest of his career.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #645
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Reading Andy's twitters, he seems to be good. I mean, you can't tell much by his short twitter messages but he seems fine from what you can gather from those.

When Andy returns it'll be business as usual I reckon. Heck, he might even be super-motivated for the US Open. Remember, every slam this year he's equaled or bettered his best result, and his best result is winning the US Open.

Our Andy is not done yet. Of course he'll be disappointed about Wimbledon, probably to some degree still but he's a tough boy. I'm sure he'll regroup.