Gilles Simon's Chat Thread #2 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #16
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gilles Simon's Chat Thread

Fran, quick question for you. Myself and Tess are just having a bit of a chat and we got to talking about tennis players who smoke cigarettes and we were just wondering if you knew whether any of the French players smoke?

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the expert!
There are tons of people who know French tennis better than I do, you know, I've been following it for a couple of years only. The others just don't post as much as I do.

Marc Gicquel smokes or still used to smoke not so long ago, I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it more than once from people I trust.
Grosjean used to be an occasional smoker, but I doubt he still is. That's sure too, Wertheim (?) mentioned it once in an article, he had seen Seb smoking in the hotel lounge and was very shocked. And Seb also says it in the book he published together with Arnaud, "Passing Potes", they say that they smoked after their semi-final in Melbourne.
Escudé smoked and he still smokes a lot, but he doesn't play anymore. I don't know for the young generation, it's more the older generation, I think.
I think CoocooCachoo says he saw Faurel smoke, but he's a Challenger player. Olivier Mutis smoked, that's sure, but he hardly plays anymore.

A lot of French coaches smoke, I always find that quite shocking when I see them together with the players at tournaments. Thierry Champion, the former coach of Paulo and Monfils, for example.

There was a thread about it in GM, I'll look for it.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #18

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Yup Fran I knew you'd be able to give me some answers. I was wondering about Gilles because one of the DC pictures in which his smiling and showing his teeth seems to show that he has 'smokers teeth' Tess agreed with me. I think that's how we got on to the subject actually. Thanks for all the info though ... I knew you'd be able to help somehow

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thread I meant:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show....php?t=102512&
There is a lot of BS, though, some people throw in names just for the sake of it.
Gaël is mentioned, I doubt it's true, but I don't know. People sometimes say he drinks alcohol too and it's not true, he hates alcohol, so people assume a lot of things about him.
Pioline smokes, that's true. A lot of people smoke in French tennis. Noah used to smoke when he was an active player, it's a tradition!

Gilles would be very surprising, but I have no idea.

Last edited by Truc : 03-10-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #20

Oh I'm just looking at that thread ... you're right ... some names are thrown in for the sake of it but you're right, a lot of the French players seem to be mentioned Thanks for that Fran. I appreciate it

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Gilles Simon's Chat Thread #2

I have a question for the French people amongst us I really wanna go to RG for a week (qualies week), so maybe some of you know secret cheap hotels or something? I have no idea if there are apartments there too, because I wouldn't mind to cook my own dishes A tent in someone's garden would be nice too
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
country flag Truc

You're welcome, Eimear, and keep us posted about if you keep asking around and hear of some smokers in the young generation. I've never heard of any, but it doesn't mean there aren't any.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #23
country flag Truc

I'm French, but I live in Germany, so I'll let the other Frenchies answer, ellen!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #24

I'll keep you posted for sure Fran. I've been googling without much success. I might try asking Xavier and Marion and see if they can tell me anything and I'll let you know

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post
I have a question for the French people amongst us I really wanna go to RG for a week (qualies week), so maybe some of you know secret cheap hotels or something? I have no idea if there are apartments there too, because I wouldn't mind to cook my own dishes A tent in someone's garden would be nice too
Can't really help you there ellen sorry...
There is a thread in GM http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=122240 maybe you can find some good tips there ?
Or you could befriend Roland Garros' gardener or concierge, maybe he would let you set up your tent on Center Court

I love that "secret cheap hotel" concept. If it is very cheap and very secret it might be a bit difficult for the owner to make a living out of it though

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
xhr75019 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #26

Hey Xavier I don't know if you read the posts above but would you be able to help? It was just a conversation I had with Tess and I seem to have piqued Fran's interest as to whether the younger generation of French players smoke or not. I have my suspicions about Gilles but not sure about the others

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
country flag xhr75019

xhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond reputexhr75019 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Eimear, not the slightest idea sorry. When I worked with dancers most of them were smoking, I was surprised.

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #28

Yeah its always surprising when people who are so fit and into their bodies would put such poisonous chemicals into their bodies but a fair few of them do!

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #29
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhr75019 View Post
Can't really help you there ellen sorry...
There is a thread in GM http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=122240 maybe you can find some good tips there ?
Or you could befriend Roland Garros' gardener or concierge, maybe he would let you set up your tent on Center Court

I love that "secret cheap hotel" concept. If it is very cheap and very secret it might be a bit difficult for the owner to make a living out of it though
Sleeping on Center Court I could actually sleep under the court-tent then, I wouldn't even have to buy a new tent.

The secret cheap hotels might be known by only the elite Pariseans
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
country flag xhr75019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post
The secret cheap hotels might be known by only the elite Pariseans
Oh that's why I am Parisian alright but haven't climbed my way up yet to the elite , I guess...

SIMONFILS
& TSONGASQUET
+ a few others...