New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Supreme Court upholds Proposition 8

Total bullshit. It was legal for a few years and now its illegal again, what a farce.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Gays have the same rights as straight people in the US. They have the right to marry whomever they wish - provided said person is of the opposite sex, consents, is not a minor, and is not consanguineous. This is exactly the same for a straight person.

Nobody is preventing a gay man from marrying...a woman; or a lesbian from marrying...a man.

There should be a nationwide referendum and amendment on this. The people have a voice and I'm betting that the vast majority of Americans are against and individual being allowed to marry members of the same sex.
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
It's illogical to draw a moral equivalency between a ban on same-sex marriage and the legalisation of murder.
Reductio ad absurdum.

My point is: the people in general is stupid, full of superstitions and prejudices. They shouldn't be allowed to decide some subjects.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #19
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

That is such a bad argument. Who gives a crap if some people don't approve of homosexuality.

Gays being allowed to legally marry will not cause harm to anyone.

Legislating personal taste upon others is absurd and completely un-democratic.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #20
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Ahh. Yes, a democracy where it's possible for a majority to deny legal rights to a minority by winning a majority of the votes in a public ballot.

Nothing like seeking that ever more perfect union is there.
The strength of religion in the US is what hinders approval of same sex marriage. But wouldn't your scorn be better directed to European countries, where religion is reportedly almost dead, yet they still deny same sex marrige? The UK is an example. What reasons do the Brits have for denying same sex marriage? If they are not religious then it must just be simple prejudice.

Unfortunately I think the progress of gay rights in the US is being held back by bickering over the meaning of ''marriage.'' It is just a word. Why not let it mean a man-woman union and a man-man or woman-woman union could be called something else as long as the rights are the same?

And with the amount of divorce these days I do not see why anyone would be so insistent on the right to ''marry.''

Last edited by buddyholly : 05-27-2009 at 03:43 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #21
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
I completely understand that it's really not for the good of the constitution for the court to overrule its people's vote, which is a very tricky situation to be in. It is however absolutely appalling that the referendum was held in the first place. It should have been discounted as unconstitutional before ballots were cast.
The present mess in California is the result of the left wing pushing for the voice of the people to be heard on every issue. Now that just about everything can end up as a proposition for the voters to decide, the left wing is doing its usual whining because the people did not vote the way they wanted them to.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #22
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Oh dear. If it's the majority's job to write a constitution one could just as well turn the clock back 200 years. How the USA, the media capital of the world, can still call itself at the forefront of freedom and human rights are beyond me.
Well, Obama has just nominated for the Supreme Court a judge who just recently supported a decision whereby nobody in a fire station got promoted because no black or hispanic firefighter met the minimum requirement for promotion. Thus the whites who met the promotional requirements were told that even though they had worked hard for promotion, it was being denied them because no black could be promoted.

So yes, the Obama administration seems to be on a backward course as regards human rights, if this is the kind of mentality that is considered appropriate for the Supreme Court.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #23
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Well, Obama has just nominated for the Supreme Court a judge who just recently supported a decision whereby nobody in a fire station got promoted because no black or hispanic firefighter met the minimum requirement for promotion. Thus the whites who met the promotional requirements were told that even though they had worked hard for promotion, it was being denied them because no black could be promoted.

So yes, the Obama administration seems to be on a backward course as regards human rights, if this is the kind of mentality that is considered appropriate for the Supreme Court.
Interesting....

The more I see politics in the US at work, the more I am convinced at Chomsky's conclusion that both the Dems and the Republicans are both two factions of the same party, the "business party" is quite true and appropriate. All these parties do is represent conflicting interests in the corporate world.

The main reason for which health care is all of a sudden a major discussion in US politics is that big companies can no longer afford to provide private health care for the employees, and so they save on average 1000$ per worker if they transfer there business to Canada, which has a more comprehensive and less expensive health care system.

You may not agree with Chomsky on many issues, but I think he is spot on in this case.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's just ridiculous. I'm sure there is more to it though, because, hell, talk about being completely and utterly non-progressive for the sake of PC.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sure there is more to it though .
http://www.adversity.net/newhavenfd/default.htm -- just in case you're interested in actually knowing what you're talking about.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.adversity.net/newhavenfd/default.htm
The extremely subjective oral component is a popular tool that diversity testing firms use to boost passage rates for minorities. [The latter is my opinion and is not part of the firefighters' legal challenge. Editor]
A load of crock, just by simply scanning the oral marks I see no difference in the mark distribution between the whites and non-whites. This being the editor's own opinion makes him seem biased, imho.

This doesn't however change the fact that whites did score more marks and yet were not promoted. It also doesn't change the fact that the judge didn't overrule this decision.

Yet, I am not a resident of New Haven and do not understand what racial tensions the town may be under nor any of its history. I also do not know what went down in court when the decision was not overruled. Who knows, maybe they just had an incompetent lawyer? All that, the article cannot tell me, all it can do is tell me the editor's side of the story.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yet, I am not a resident of New Haven and do not understand what racial tensions the town may be under nor any of its history.
What would past or present racial dissonance have to do with this specific case ? It's not difficult to understand: caucasian testers scored higher, yet due to the failure of African-Americans testers to reciprocate such results, the former were penalised and therefore deprived of a well-deserved promotion.

With respect to your claim of bias, here's a fairly reliable source that recapitulates the case:
Ricci v DeStefano -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hav...imination_case
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #28
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
A load of crock, just by simply scanning the oral marks I see no difference in the mark distribution between the whites and non-whites. This being the editor's own opinion makes him seem biased, imho.
I don't think the editor had an opinion. The bias is all yours. Why would you only refer to scores that represent only 40% of the total and are irrelevant in the final marks of each contestant.

You might just as well have said ''just by simply scanning the written marks I see a vast mark distribution between the whites and non-whites.''
Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
country flag Garson007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
What would past or present racial dissonance have to do with this specific case ? It's not difficult to understand: caucasian testers scored higher, yet due to the failure of African-Americans testers to reciprocate such results, the former were penalised and therefore deprived of a well-deserved promotion.
As good as face value normally is, it's not always the truth behind a matter. I completely agree with you and see it the same way as you do, I do however leave open the possibility that this is not racism.

"The city of New Haven scrapped the test results for fear of a would-be Title VII disparate impact lawsuit brought by minority firefighters."

This tells me exactly that, that it's more of a fear of being sued than it is about trying to discriminate the white firefighters for being white. If anything all this proves is that legislation is at best incomplete, which caused this action from the city, which in turn lead to the judge upholding that an employer has the right to chose who he wants to promote.

Quote:
I don't think the editor had an opinion. The bias is all yours. Why would you only refer to scores that represent only 40% of the total and are irrelevant in the final marks of each contestant.

You might just as well have said ''just by simply scanning the written marks I see a vast mark distribution between the whites and non-whites.''
He even states that this is his opinion. I don't care how much the oral tests count, I was just stating that the editor insinuated that although minorities had help in having a lenient oral test they did not score within the top ten.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:
"The city of New Haven scrapped the test results for fear of a would-be Title VII disparate impact lawsuit brought by minority firefighters."

This tells me exactly that, that it's more of a fear of being sued than it is about trying to discriminate the white firefighters for being white.
A likely possibility.