2009 ATP Stats - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 ATP Stats

Just one of the season's five longest matches took place at Wimbledon, as Haas' fifth set win over Cilic that carried over two days was third overall.

Overall, Wimbledon was a quite a fast tournament, including one of the five fastest matches of the season, Becker's R1 win over Karanusic.

There were also a lot of aces in London, and while none managed to top Karlovic's RG mark, three cracked the 40 aces barrier, Federer in the final, Roddick in the quarters and Karlovic in round 3.

Big serving also brings with it double faults, and several Wimbledon matches joined in a tie with 13 DFs. Taking the cake, though, was Taylor Dent, who became the first player to crack the 15 double fault mark. In fact, he managed to make it all the way to 20.

I've also added a new category, most double faults per service game, though it contains no Wimbledon matches.

There were no fewer than 8 'duong specials', with the loser winning more points. All but one were five setters, with the most notable being Haas' long win over Cilic. Also, Karol Beck suffered the 'Monaco curse', mirroring Juan Monaco's feat of winning a match with fewer points, then losing his next match despite winning more points. The one four-set match that fit this criteria was Robredo's loss to Sela, which saw the Spaniard win a set 6-2, and lose three sets in which he won at least 5 games.

In addition to the new double faults category, I've also added leaderboards for double faults per service game.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Sam Querrey set the second highest season mark for aces in a three-setter, hitting 31 in his second round match against Amritraj. His performance was also third all season in aces per service game.

Kevin Kim was less successful with his serve, making the top 5 for most DFs twice, with 14 against Querrey and 13 in a victory against Brands. Kim's performance against Querrey was particularly pathetic, as he hit more than a double fault and a half per service game, a new season high by a wide margin.

Two matches were won by the player who took fewer points; Groth's win over Mello and Kim's win over Brands.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
country flag V.H.

V.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond reputeV.H. has a reputation beyond repute

Why aren't Kim's DFs in the "Most Double Faults" category, but only in "Most Double Faults, incl. GS)?

Anyway thx for great stats
V.H. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
country flag Blarghman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.H. View Post
Why aren't Kim's DFs in the "Most Double Faults" category, but only in "Most Double Faults, incl. GS)?

Anyway thx for great stats
For the complex statistical reason that I accidentally skipped updating that table

Fixed

Actually, there's another Newport match added to this table, as Levine' 12 DFs against Ram tie him for fifth. So Newport matches are tied at first, third and fifth.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #20
country flag Blarghman

Just one change in any of the lists this week, as Robredo's 27/28 performance on first serve points against Luczak ties him for the fifth best performance of the year.

There were a few matches of interest this week, though; Schuettler and Minar played a match with a 50-50 split in points in Stuttgart, while four matches saw the loser win more of the points: Darcis losing to Koellerer and Koubek losing to Berrer were two, while Sidorenko picked up two such wins, over Munoz-De la Nava and Hernandez.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #21
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghman View Post
Stuttgart R32 - Berrer d Koubek 0-6, 7-6(3),7-6(4) (Koubek 111-97 Berrer - the loser won 53.37% of the points)
Quote:
I haven't been tracking this regularly, but because you asked, I looked into it

It's actually a pretty common occurrence, there have been 65 such matches this season. If you'd like a list, I can make one, but I'm a little too lazy too do it unprompted

The biggest blowout that a player lost was Rui Machado losing in Estoril to Oscar Hernandez. Machado won 100 of 189 points (52.91%), but lost the match, 5-7, 6-1, 5-7.

The single most interesting example is probably Andreev d. Tsonga, IW R32. This was a straight sets win for Igor, 7-5, 6-4, but he won three less points than Tsonga.
These are the only matches were the loser won the points count by double-digits. I wonder what's the all-time record.
IINM, theoretically the most possible is 44 (24 + (12-2)*2 ).

The straight sets is the most amusing
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
country flag Blarghman

Isner's 27 ace performance against Odesnik in his Indianapolis QF was the fourth best in three-setters of the season.

The week also saw a season-high for double faults in a three-setter, as Berrer commited 16 in his loss to Tursunov. This match also sits second in DFs per game.

A contrast was Hanescu's showing in Hamburg, as the big Romanian hit 41 of 46 first serves, for a season high 89.1%.

Two matches saw an even split of points, both from Hamburg, with Almagro's win over Granollers and Greul's over Zverev finishing even.

Two matches also saw the winner take fewer points than the loser: Kim won more points in his loss to Istomin and Baghdatis had an 8-point advantage in losing to Odesnik.

Some weirdness in the leaderboards last week, I accidentally double-counted some matches. Everything should be fixed.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Longest Matches (including GS)
[code]
1 Australian Open SF Nadal d Verdasco 314 minutes
2 Roland Garros R32 Ouanna d Safin 274 minutes
3 Wimbledon R32 Haas d Cilic 268 minutes
4 Australian Open F Nadal d Federer 263 minutes
5 Roland Garros R128 Lopez d Ferreiro 258 minutes

Note: These numbers don't agree with Voo de Mar's . Frankly, I'm not sure why, his are probably more trustworthy, as these are straight copies from the ATP website Also, note that there are not recorded ATP stats for the Muller-Lopez R128 match in Melbourne
The time-match in my thread of longest matches comes from official Grand Slam tournaments. Muller-Lopez played 262-minute match in Melbourne according to the Aussie Open website.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread. Thanks for the stats.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #25
country flag Blarghman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
The time-match in my thread of longest matches comes from official Grand Slam tournaments. Muller-Lopez played 262-minute match in Melbourne according to the Aussie Open website.
Thanks, I see that the ATP has updated with that time as well. The weird thing is that I can't see any stats on the AO website for that match, there's no 'match statistics' link to click

Also, I think you may have an error in your thread in the Hanescu-Hernych match. Both ATP and AO list it as around 250 minutes (ATP 252, AO 249), as opposed to your 272.

I am a little wary of all the AO time numbers, since there are some oddities on both sites. For example, ATP has Federer-Seppi as going 280 minutes, while the AO site doesn't have a time for set 3 There are a couple of other weird ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Good thread. Thanks for the stats.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #26
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, I think you may have an error in your thread in the Hanescu-Hernych match. Both ATP and AO list it as around 250 minutes (ATP 252, AO 249), as opposed to your 272.
Thanks, I've changed it.

Quote:
I am a little wary of all the AO time numbers, since there are some oddities on both sites. For example, ATP has Federer-Seppi as going 280 minutes, while the AO site doesn't have a time for set 3 There are a couple of other weird ones as well.
Yes, there was a lot of confusion with 'match time statistics' at the Aussie Open website this year For example: Malisse won 7-6(8) set against Llodra in 5 minutes... Initially the match time of Muller-Lopez match was around 7 hours, then around 5:30, finally it was changed on very probable 4:22 but without any information about aces. Someone on this forum wrote how many aces they served, and I included this information to my "Aces" thread.

The most stats aren't an objective truth, it's only an approximate truth. When I watch a match and make some stats I'm certain what was really happened, in the other cases it's a matter of trust.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #27
country flag Blarghman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
The most stats aren't an objective truth, it's only an approximate truth. When I watch a match and make some stats I'm certain what was really happened, in the other cases it's a matter of trust.
Very well said

Especially when you're following the extreme results, and it's potentially easy to doubt some of the stats you end up seeing. You can't pick and choose too much over which results are 'right', since if you didn't see it you can't really know.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #28
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting set of statistics, great work. The winner scoring less points than the loser reminds of Gasquet losing to Verdasco in Montreal 2007, 6-3 6-7(7) 4-6 with I believe Gasquet winning more points in every set, scoring 106 total points vs 92 for Verdasco. Point won on first serve for Gasquet were 80%, on second serve 70%, while Verdasco won 71% on first serve and 47% on second serve, yet Gasquet lost! Sorry about diverging from the 2009 in the topic, but in terms of statistics that match was very unusual.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #29
country flag Blarghman

Kendrick-Spadea was a classic for the statistician, the shortest match of the year thus far by three minutes. It also tied for third with Kendrick's 70% of points on Spadea's first serve, and was the third largest blowout of the year, with Kendrick taking 2/3rds of the points in the match.

Another LA match featured excellent work on the opponent's second serve, as Querrey now sits fourth on that list bu taking 14 of 16 points from Istomin.

Davydenko missed just four first serves in an excellent performance in his Umag SF.

In Gstaad, Beck-Garcia-Lopez had an even split in points, despite Beck losing a set 1-6 and winning two TBs.

Beck was also involved in a 'winning with fewer points' match, in the first round against Chiudinelli, as was Troicki in his loss to Maximo Gonzalez.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
country flag Blarghman

I've now updated through Washington, I'll probably be fairly late on getting to the Montreal stats.

Becker's 27 aces against Ginepri leave him tied for 4th on the season.

Gabashvili comitted 15 double faults in his R64 fatcg in Washington, good for third in the season.

Odesnik had an even split of points with Andreev in his R32 win, while no fewer than 4 matches saw the winner take less points; Becker over Ginepri, Gulbis over Kim, Gicquel over Janowicz and Isner against Tsonga.