Benoit fans introduction thread. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benoit fans introduction thread.

Why not?

My name's Aaron, I can't remember when I first started watching Paire (it wasn't all that long ago, maybe beginning of 2013 or something) but I'm a sucker for talented players - none of the top players are that appealing for me (especially Nadal and Djokovic ) because more of than not I find their games boring. They're great athletes, but not that good to watch in terms of actual tennis . Benoit and similar players with their great shotmaking and style, those are for me the reasons to love tennis, not the athletes who are better than average at chasing down balls .

When I found out that Benoit was coming to Auckland 2014, I was nervous because he'd had knee surgery and might not have made it. He was one of the main reasons I wanted to go, so I was delighted when I got to see him. When I watched him live the first time it was in the stadium, and it was awesome. What really struck me first was how great his first serve is. He was a joy to watch live the first round I saw. Second round was on an outer court VS that dreaded Bautista Agut . He lost, he acted a brat, he was grumpy. It was really hard to watch honestly, and that showed the dark side of Benoit. The side that makes me wonder if he'll manage to fulfill his potential (which he has tons of) even partly. He doesn't seem to have the mental side of the game fully together at all.

I'm a fan for the long haul but have to admit it's been a bumpy road following his career and I'm sure that will very much continue .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benoit fans introduction thread.

Benoit Paire is one of the most unique players out there.

I started following him after watching his semifinal match vs. Federer at Rome 2013. I was so surprised by his playing style and how different it is from the usual. He attacks second serves much more than is typical in the ATP. His backhand is amazing, as you should know by now. I would say it's among the top 10 backhands in the world. He has great hands and nice touch! I love that he's an all-court and all-surface player. Of course you can't have it all, and his forehand is his Achilles' heel...I honestly do not understand why he is so shaky on that side, because the technique doesn't seem all that bad to me. Perhaps he uses just a bit too much "arm" on that shot.

I didn't even realize he is so tall; he doesn't play anything like a player for his height, even though he has a decent serve. He moves quite well, to be honest. And Benoit litters the stat sheet like no other player. Against almost anyone he plays, the outcome is more in his hands (some like to say "match on his racquet"), because he's either hitting winners or spraying unforced errors. And of course, we know he can get a bit crazy on the court. It's not that bad, to be honest; I also follow Fognini, and he's just about the most extreme case.

As I began to know what he's like as a person, I liked him even more! He seems a little bit shy off the court, but also humble and likable. His tweets are so funny to me because they're in all-caps and always end in "ALLEZ". This knee problem he's had for awhile is quite disheartening; I can't even imagine how depressed he's felt. I think I read some of his quotes that being off court for so long left him feeling very down. I really hope he gets over this problem once and for all, and if that means taking more time off, so be it. The best-case scenario is he takes a small break and then starts practicing on grass, so that he will be 100% for Wimbledon. I really, really hope he can avoid surgery, but if he needs it, so be it. Allez!

Last edited by RU90 : 06-02-2014 at 03:28 PM.
RU90 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know of the backhand for sure ^. Unfortunately when I saw him live in the ASB Stadium he didn't seem to be needing it a lot at all, because he wasn't playing a form player really, and his first serve was doing so much damage he didn't really have to use much BH. And even when there were rallies, I was seeing more FHs.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
country flag DBR

DBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everbody.

I first noticed Ben at Wimbledon a couple of years ago when he upset Dolgo in straight sets. He played great, with lots of controlled aggression, winners and great touch, and he was really focused mentally for the whole match. If only he could be like that all the time!

But even though he's inconsistent, I like how he goes for his shots and tries bold things, even at crazy moments... it makes him exciting and interesting to watch. When he's playing well it's fantastic to see, and even when he's not, there are usually still flashes of brilliance in between the UE's and crazy shot selection.

I suspect some people think Ben is arrogant because he can come across that way on court at times, but when you read interviews where he says that every match he just hopes he can win 1 game so he won't get double-bagelled, you start to realise he doesn't have much confidence. Gasquet also had issues with that, but improved the last couple of years and became more consistent, and I really hope Ben can too.

For now, I just hope Ben can have a decent run of matches without pain, and start to build up his rhythm and confidence again. He's ranked in the 60's now, but if he can stay injury-free and work hard, I'm sure he can improve on that, and maybe even cause an upset or two in the slams and big events. It would just be great to see him playing every week without pain, and really enjoying himself on court.

Allez!!!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
DBR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
country flag FlameOn

It is difficult but I think it's important to separate the player on court from off. Usually I've noticed the persona on the court stays on the court. I haven't seen any player that's the same both places.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
country flag alioth

alioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond reputealioth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody

I started following Benoit last year , i can´t remember the moment, but i do remember this :

and i still wonder why many people hated him for wearing a hoodie during a match, if it´s cold you cover your self dont you?

He is very authentic i really like that about him, and as you said some people says he is arrogant and other things but if you hear him or read what he says you realize that sometimes he lacks confidence.

He is very talented and i hope he can shut hater´s mouth ,he is so talented and it´s a joy for me watching him play.

alioth is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote