Wild Cards - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wild Cards

Main Draw
1 Alex Bogdanovic GBR
2 Dan Evans GBR
3 Josh Goodall GBR
4 James Ward GBR
5 Grigor Dimitrov BUL
6 Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP
7 Nicolas Mahut FRA
8 not awarded

Qualifying
1 Richard Bloomfield GBR
2 Dan Cox GBR
3 Chris Eaton GBR
4 Alex Slabinsky GBR
5 Taylor Dent USA
6 Marcus Willis GBR (play-off finalist)
7 Dan Smethurst GBR (play-off finalist)
8 Joshua Milton GBR
9 Bernard Tomic AUS

Doubles
1 AUCKLAND, James (GBR)/GOODALL, Joshua (GBR)
2 BOGDANOVIC, Alex (GBR)/WARD, James (GBR)
3 DELGADO, Jamie (GBR)/MARRAY, Jonathan (GBR)
4 FLEMING, Colin (GBR)/SKUPSKI, Kenneth (GBR)
5 LLODRA, Michael (FRA)/MAHUT, Nicolas (FRA)

Last edited by smucav : 06-14-2009 at 07:43 PM.
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
country flag smucav

smucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond reputesmucav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wild Cards

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6217593.ece
Quote:
LTA explains its Wimbledon qualifying system

While the LTA are keeping the names of those who have entered this year's Aegon Championships at Eastbourne under wraps - two e-mails asking for the latest news last week did not illicit a response, which was both unhelpful and discourteous - they have at least explained how they have organised the wild-card play-offs for the Wimbledon championships. A statement from Paul Hutchins, the former head of men's tennis, said: "we are, in co-operation with the All England Club, running a 16-player pre-qualifying for two wild card places into Wimbledon qualifying, which seems to work well with also the top eight players getting either a direct wild card into the main draw or into qualifying if under 250 on the rankings.

"[There are] often different opinions on play offs and equally strong opinions if we give too many players with low rankings wild cards without having to work that hard for the spot. We are also totally dependent on the All England Club committee views as well as they hold the final decision on all wild cards. The cut for the main draw is around 100 and we/All England Club are offering places in main draw if under 250 and in Wimbledon qualifying to players of 500 and below, and for pre qualifying 1000 and below and some with no world ranking. We always review the system and take opinions into consideration but this is the 2009 system which will operate."

When they come to make their judgements, the committee will also no doubt be torn on how many wild cards British players should receive - they attract a lot of people around the courts when they are playing but generally the flame is extinguished after 48 hours - and whether the Championships ought to package the very best in tennis and not pander to domestic players who struggle to win a set.

What the Net Post would like to have seen incorporated from previous LTA regimes was that players would only be considered if their ranking had improved by a clearly defined number of spots, something they we were made well aware of at the start of a year. Why has that criterion been dropped?

And what will the decision be this year on Alex Bogdanovic, who is remains inside the world's top 250 and thus justifies 'consideration' for a wild card and yet was not even considered for a play-off for a place in the Great Britain Davis Cup side for the March tie against Ukraine? And what about Chris Eaton, who is outside the 250 cut off point, who successfully qualified and won a round at Wimbledon last year, was not originally selected for the DC play offs, was called up at the last minute, won two matches, played in the team and won the only match in a 4-1 defeat? Work those ones out.
smucav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Boggo will get a WC into the main draw, I'm pretty sure of it.

Goodall will probably get one as well, mainly on the basis that he's the best of a bad bunch. Maybe Eaton.

Dimitrov should also get one.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

These are my picks:

Main Draw

1 Bogdanovic, Alex GBR
2 Dimitrov, Grigor BUL
3 Ward, James GBR
4 Goodall, Joshua GBR
5 Eaton, Chris GBR
6 Evans, Daniel GBR

Qualifying
1 Bloomfield, Richard GBR
2 Slabinsky, Alexander GBR
3 Fleming, Colin GBR
4 Marray, Jonathan GBR
5 Cox, Daniel GBR

Ward and Evans are doing reasonably well in Challengers, so I think they might be deserving of a MD WC. It might well be that they end up in qualies though.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and someone like Mahut might land a WC.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers

Old 05-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Giving one to Mahut would be rather generous.

It's a sad state of affairs that I can't think of 1 Brit who'd be even close to deserving of a WC. I'd be more than happy for all of them to be given to foreign players.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

Dan Evans should get one

I thought they said last year that Boggo wouldn't get another wild card?
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond repute

any chance for tomic or krajinovic?
petar_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
country flag Forever-Delayed

Forever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond repute

The understanding is that anyone ranked inside the top 250 will be considered for a WC, so that would mean that Bogdanovic, Goodall, and Ward (once his points from the Sarasota final this week go on) would all be inside the top 250, so probably will end up getting a WC.

Dan Evans should get one as well, given that he's won a challenger this season and is the highest ranked 18-year old in the world, which is a good enough reason to get a WC.

Chris Eaton may get one as well just because of his run last season and the fact he did okay when playing Davis Cup, but I think that may be a bit of a long shot.

The Queens WC's are usually an indication of which foreign players may be getting a WC, so Nishikori, Grosjean and Dimitrov could get WC's (and I'd expect all three of them to, and with Dimitrov the junior champ, that will swing it in his favour)

And then there is Taylor Dent, who must have a chance, and Ferrero, who if he wanted a WC, would surely get one outside the cut as well.

At the moment I imagine the WC's will go to:

Ward
Evans
Goodall
Dimitrov
Grosjean
Nishikori
Ferrero
Dent or Bogdanovic, depending on whether or not they give Boggo another chance (and he's still the 2nd ranked Brit, so he must be doing something right)

And Quali WC's to:

Bloomfield
Slabinsky
Marray
Fleming
Cox
Eaton
+ 3 others... maybe Dent if he doesn't get a MD WC, maybe Tomic, or a couple of young British players
Forever-Delayed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, supposedly any Brit player in the top 250 will get a Wimbledon main draw WC...so these should fall to Boggo, Goodall and Ward. Depending on the date of the cut-off, Ward might finish a couple of places outside the top 250 (especially if he loses the Sarasota final to Ball), but he should still be rewarded for his recent form/results imo. Boggo and Goodall are pretty lucky tbh...they are both set to fall outside the top 250 within the next 3-4 months, and the former is probably in his worst form for some 4-5 years. If he couldn't do anything with a main draw WC over the last handful of years (and he had a couple of legitimate opportunities - Kim and Guccione spring to mind), I highly doubt he will now.

Evans probably won't make the top 250 in time, but maybe he should be given a chance, if only because he won one of our domestic challengers a couple of months ago. But even then, I'm not sure he is currently a strong enough player for the rigours of the challenger tour, yet alone ATP action.

Again, maybe you could argue that Eaton should get one, having been the only male Brit (forgetting Murray) to win a round at Wimbledon last year (and having to qualify), and also sparing us extreme embarrassment in March's Davis Cup tie. Obviously he is well suited to grass, but really he has done practically nothing in the last 12 months, so it is hard to reward that. Reminds me a little of Flanagan...living on an over-inflated ranking for one year, before tumbling back down to his real level. If you hand him a WC, why not open the floodgates and extend the same courtesy to Bloomfield and Marray, who would also enjoy playing on grass?

And then there are the foreign players...Dent, Grosjean, Nishikori, Dimitrov etc.

Last edited by El Burro : 05-16-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
MONSOON season.

Forever-Delayed, you're right in mentioning Dent and Grosjean. I wonder whether Wimbledon organizers care enough about someone like Nishikori though. I reckon, after last year's run, Eaton might be more likely than Nishikori. There was quite a Eaton-hype going on around the grounds. He also did quite well against Zverev in Wimbledon qualies the year before. His game is perfectly suited to grass, so I think he will definitely get one, despite not having done anything extremely impressive since his Wimbledon run.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

As long as Ferrero gets one I'm happy.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
MONSOON season.

I don't think Ferrero deserves one, to be honest But yeah, he is likely to get one if he wants one.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Former #1, made the QF in 2007. He has a better Wimby record than Dent.

Also bear in mind he was injured for five months last year. Only reason he's ranked so low.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
country flag Forever-Delayed

Forever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond reputeForever-Delayed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCachoo View Post
Forever-Delayed, you're right in mentioning Dent and Grosjean. I wonder whether Wimbledon organizers care enough about someone like Nishikori though. I reckon, after last year's run, Eaton might be more likely than Nishikori. There was quite a Eaton-hype going on around the grounds. He also did quite well against Zverev in Wimbledon qualies the year before. His game is perfectly suited to grass, so I think he will definitely get one, despite not having done anything extremely impressive since his Wimbledon run.
Queens have given WC's to Nishikori and Grosjean and that is usually an indication of which foreign players will get a WC to Wimbledon.

Ward's title today means that he'll pretty much a given for a WC now as well.

Eaton hasn't really done anything since Wimbledon last year to justify a WC - I think he's won back-to-back matches twice, and given that he's outside the top 250 cut-off, the LTA won't recommend him. But... given his run last year, there's a chance that the AELTC will give him a WC because of the hype surrounding him.

Still think that Dimitrov, Ward, Evans, Grosjean and Ferrero are definates for a WC, while Nishikori has a pretty good chance of one. It's between Boggo, Goodall, Eaton and Dent for the other two, and as Boggo and Goodall are top 250, that will probably get them the WC.

I think Eaton needs to do something at Nottingham or Queens to have a chance.
Forever-Delayed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote