Djokovic is technically the most complete baseliner today - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Djokovic is technically the most complete baseliner today

since volleys don't count as baseline strokes, i've made this conclusion.

discuss.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic is technically the most complete baseliner today

whatever happened to Nadal and Federer? did they die today?
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
country flag vamosinator
Banned!

vamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he'll ever win another grand slam title, that Aust Open was it. He seems weak physically, more suited to the non-slams.
vamosinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
since volleys don't count as baseline strokes, i've made this conclusion.

discuss.
Affirmative
But practically he's still a mug
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
country flag Priam

Priam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian
Priam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #6

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRAFA View Post
I don't think he'll ever win another grand slam title, that Aust Open was it. He seems weak physically, more suited to the non-slams.
he needs to work on his fitness for the long matches that might come in the slams.

regardless, i make him the favourite for this year's us open. nadal will probably be too burnt out, and that would leave only murray in his way.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priam View Post
Nalbandian
nalbandian is a good example of a fine baseliner, but he's just too inconsistent, and with this injury of his who knows what will be of him.
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
country flag vamosinator
Banned!

vamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond reputevamosinator has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is only playing 2 events between Wimbledon and the US Open, so there is no chance of any burnout, and he'd probably only play one event before the US if he thought there was a physical problem. Djokovic is going to have to deal with a fresher Nadal than the one who made him cry at the Olympics.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Nadal is only playing 2 events between Wimbledon and the US Open, so there is no chance of any burnout, and he'd probably only play one event before the US if he thought there was a physical problem. Djokovic is going to have to deal with a fresher Nadal than the one who made him cry at the Olympics.
i don't think nadal will want to skip events and lose the momentum. after all, the momentum he gathered starting from the clay season is what got him his first wimbledon and the #1 ranking last year.

physical and even mental fatigue is natural for any tennis player, even one of spartan origin.
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
country flag vamosinator
Banned!

Just saying, Nadal had a much better American hardcourt season than Djokovic last year (Nadal won the US Open event series and Gold Medal), and this year Nadal will only focus on the US Open because he knows its the most important tournament of the year for him. So don't expect Nadal to sacrifice his stamina this time for the non-slams. Most importantly, no Olympics. Djokovic ran out of gas last year at the US Open, and that was with a lighter schedule than Nadal, so I'd be worried about Djokovic burning out.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Just saying, Nadal had a much better American hardcourt season than Djokovic last year (Nadal won the US Open event series and Gold Medal), and this year Nadal will only focus on the US Open because he knows its the most important tournament of the year for him. So don't expect Nadal to sacrifice his stamina this time for the non-slams. Most importantly, no Olympics. Djokovic ran out of gas last year at the US Open, and that was with a lighter schedule than Nadal, so I'd be worried about Djokovic burning out.
no doubt nadal's focus will be on the Open, though, what i'm saying is, you don't want to skip events and let dangerous rivals such as murray or djokovic back in.

after winning his first grand slam, mid season last year was a major slump for djokovic, yet still he managed to break nadal's streak in cincinnati. this year i can't see him falling before the final in new york.
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
country flag vamosinator
Banned!

I don't think Nadal is going to care if Djokovic and Murray win a bunch of hardcourt events. Murray won a bunch last year and it didn't help him in the slams, and Djok won the YEC. A healthy Nadal will always out-do them in 5-setters.

Either way, we've seen Nadal's schedule, only 2 hardcourt events before the US Open, this isn't a hard year schedule-wise compared to last year. If anyone is going to beat Nadal at the US Open they are going to have to out-duel him at 100%.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
I don't think Nadal is going to care if Djokovic and Murray win a bunch of hardcourt events. Murray won a bunch last year and it didn't help him in the slams, and Djok won the YEC. A healthy Nadal will always out-do them in 5-setters.

Either way, we've seen Nadal's schedule, only 2 hardcourt events before the US Open, this isn't a hard year schedule-wise compared to last year. If anyone is going to beat Nadal at the US Open they are going to have to out-duel him at 100%.
oh but he should. u are missing out on the psychological aspect of the game. the winner is determined by slight differences, sometimes a little extra confidence can go a long way.

either way, both djokovic and murray have the tools to take him out in a hardcourt match
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
country flag Priam

Priam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond repute

Djoker certainly has the tools but his fitness is still suspect. I don't trust him in tight best of 5 matches.
Priam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #15

let's move onto the evidence:

the forehand:

his best weapon. he can produce a flat shot, hitting his opponent off court without the need to aproach the net, or use spin to force an error/ take control of the rally. the 2nd best forehand on clay, though i would appreciate him using the forehand dropshot more often.

the backhand:

surgical precision and can generate power if needed. viable weapon in all backhand-backhand or even backhand-forehand exchanges, though known to break down at times, unlike the forehand. the double edged backhand dropshot is one of the trademarks of the serbian slayer.

movement:

always in place. u will have a hard time hitting a clean winner against djokovic. hits defensive shots from an open stance and slides on clay and hardcourts alike.

serve:

lots of power and variety on the first serve, the 2nd serve mostly a kicker, though more than solid.

return of serve:

one of the best returners today, good anticipation in most cases and on average can place the return deeper than most other players.
Quote: