Greg Jones Cheering Thread - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #91
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greg Jones Cheering Thread

Greg has capped off his good week in Canada by continuing the form into Wahington qualies beating Salamanca 6-3 6-4. Sweeting in the final round to qualify will be very tough. If Jonesy is able to beat Sweeting he will either face James Blake, Benjamin Becker or another qualifier.

Heres hoping Jonesy makes it in and can play at ATP level again, it has been a while.
Matchu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #92
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Sweeting will be very tough.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #93
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

Wish him well against Sweeting but he is a very tough player and it will be a difficult match.
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #94
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Go Jonesie.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #95
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Jonesie did not manage to get past Sweeting, going down 6-4, 6-4. A good effort for the week though.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #96
country flag RustyOz

Well done to Jonesie on being selected to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games. Surprised really as Jonesie has only ever received one main draw wild card from Tennis Australia into an ATP event and none into the Grand Slams over the past 4 years. Jonesie is the youngest member of the Men' team at 21.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #97
country flag RustyOz

A great effort by Jonesie in New Haven qualifying. Against Argentinian Juan Monaco, Jonesie won the 1st set 6-2 and then had Monaco on the back foot, up 5-2, then 5-3 serving for the match. Unfortunatley Monaco was able to tough it out and break Jonesie and get level at 5-5. Jonesie held his nerve to get to the tie-break but could not deny Monaco, losing the tie-break 7-3, and then going down 6-1 in the 3rd set. Jonesie showing he can match it with the higher ranked players, now needs to learn how to close out the match.
Good luck to Jonesie in the US Open qualies next week.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #98
country flag RustyOz

Great fight-back from Jonesie in the 1st round qualies - up against No.4 Roger-Vasselin. Despite having 8 break-point opportunites vs 4 in the 1st set, Jonesie dropped the set 2-6. He righted the ship in the 2nd break to go 5-2 up, then dropped serve to have RV close to 4-5, but then Jonesie broke RV to win the set 6-4. The beginning of the 3rd was a huge tussle, but Jonesie prevailed holding, then breaking RV to go 2-0 up. Another long game saw Jonesie hold for 3-0, then he got the double break and cantered away from the Frenchie to win 6-0.
Well done Jonesie...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #99
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was a great win for him. Next up is Dusan Lojda, Jonesy has never played Lojda so hard to tell how he will go. Also nice to find out that after the US open/Davis Cup tie Greg will head to Bangkok for consecutive challengers and presumably attempt to qualify for the ATP tournament if he doesn't go deep in the second challenger.

I like the fact that Greg is not heading back to the Australian futures just because it would more convinient and comfortable for him, he is playing challengers like he should be. He will need some strong results in the challengers in Asia coming up but I'm fairly confident Greg can keep a spot inside the worlds top 250 by years end. Come on Greg, show us what your made of.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #100
country flag RustyOz

A tough result fOr Jonesie. Disappointing, in losing in 3 sets to Lodja. Led the 1st set with a break at 4-1 but then Lodja won 6 games out of 7, winning 1st set 7-5. Greg won 2nd set with 1 break 6-3 but Lodja, serving first kept the pressure up and broke Greg to go 5-3 up. Greg fought hard saving MP and bringing up a break point but could not convert, Lodja winning 3rd set 6-3.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #101
country flag Matchu

Greg has been given a pretty good draw for the Commonwealth Games. He is seeded 5th and only needs to worry about James Ward in his quarter. Here is his quarter:

JONES Greg Andrew (5) AUS
MANDERS Gavin BER

PATEL Kamil MRI
GODAMANNA Harshana Dinuka SRI

MURRAY Jamie Robert SCO
CAREY Rodney BAH

PATRICK LEONG Michael SOL
WARD James Dino (4) ENG

If Greg did make it through his quarter into the semis he would most likely face fellow Aussie and doubles partner Matt Ebden. Here is his half in the doubles:

MANDERS Gavin
THOMAS David Kevin Andre Vernon

LEWIS Haydn Lee
KING Darian Dimitri

GODAMANNA Harshana Dinuka

RAJAPAKSE Rajeev

SKUPSKI Kenneth David
HUTCHINS Ross Dan

EBDEN Matt
JONES Greg Andrew

MUGABE Duncan Kasumba
BUYINZA Robert

MURRAY Jamie Robert
FLEMING Colin

DEVVARMAN Somdev Kishore
BOPANNA Rohan Machanda

I don't exactly expect them to go far in the doubles. I think Greg has a good chance of being in contention for a medal, especially the Bronze Medal. Good Luck Greg I wish you all the best and know you will try your best for the Green and Gold. If anyone is interested Greg is entered in two consecutive challengers in California with the first starting next week. Hopefully a good run in Delhi will give Greg some confidence to pick up some wins for the rest of the season.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #102
country flag grimilan

grimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond reputegrimilan has a reputation beyond repute

AS expected Jones wins 6-1 6-2.
Plays the winner of PATEL Kamil and GODAMANNA Harshana Dinuka next.
grimilan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #103
country flag RustyOz

Yes an expected win by Jonesie but he may not be on top of his game at the moment. News is that he hasn't played since the US Open. Some problem with an injury sustained, to his knees a believe, from an accident between two taxis in New York and he only began training mid-last week. A good match for him to gain match fitness in then.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #104
ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
Yes an expected win by Jonesie but he may not be on top of his game at the moment. News is that he hasn't played since the US Open. Some problem with an injury sustained, to his knees a believe, from an accident between two taxis in New York and he only began training mid-last week. A good match for him to gain match fitness in then.
Thats correct lucky it wasn't worse....watching a replay now...some good shots...and serving patterns...hope he can keep building...
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #105
country flag RustyOz

Jonesie also got up in his 2nd round match, against Harshana Godamanna, 7-6, 6-2. Godamanna is a handy player and was just slapping winners off both wings in the 1st set but could not maintain his accuracy for the duration. Jonesies serve kicked in toward the end of the 1st set and he then dominated the tie-break and 2nd set. Plays Pom James Ward in QF next. Ebden also plays singles QF match as well as doubles with Jonesie tomorrow