Greg Jones Cheering Thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #31
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greg Jones Cheering Thread

Well done Greg.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #32
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute

Greg scored a solid first round win in a Japanese challenger yesterday, 7-6 7-6 over the 7th seed Cervenak. Plays Juska next, which is a winnable match. I'd like to see Greg make at least quaters here.

Does anyone know if he will play Bendigo next week or is his last tournament before the AO playoffs?
Matchu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #33
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute

Another strong result for Greg. A 4-6 7-6 7-5 win over Juska in the second round in Japan. He seems to be making challenger quarterfinals quite often. One more win will see him finish the season around 235 which is probably where he belongs at this point.

It will be interesting to see how he does next year given he will get direct acceptance into most challengers.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

such a brat he is
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #35
ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond reputeozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

haha agreed azza but he can play when he puts his mind to it!!
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #36
country flag Matchu

Well if you don't like players that act that way be prepared to stay away from Australian tennis for the next decade because the likes of Bernard, Brydan and Greg seem to be our future!

They are those players that you either love or hate, a lot like Lleyton. Interesting to see that Brydan, Greg and Bernard are all ranked in the 200s. By the way Greg is into the semifinals of the Bendigo future tournament and looking strong to pick up another futures title this year. He'll also finish the year ranked inside the top 250 with this result.

Promising stuff from Greg, hopefully he is gearing himself up for a big 2010. Good Luck Greg
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #37
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

please win this title, Greg
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #38
country flag Matchu

Greg is gonna move to about 203 in the world after this runner up appearance in Burnie (second time he has been a runner up in Burnie now). Greg is a proven challenger player so if he continues to play challengers which I think he will I reckon he has a big chance to make it into the top 150 this year.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #39
country flag Matchu

Greg is going to take a week off and play in Mildura and then play in the next aussie future. It would be fair to assume he will then head to Japan to play the challenger in Yokohama there next month.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #40
country flag Matchu

Greg is through to the quarters in Mildura, two strong finishes in both Mildura and Berri next week should set him up nicely for a good strong year on the challenger tour. After Berri he will take a week off (perhaps be in the Davis Cup squad) and then head to Kyoto for the challenger tournament there.

If he can win one of the next two futures here in Australia he will take his spot in the top 200 so that would good for Australia to have another young guy in the top 200. Greg just turned 21 so he isn't doing too badly considering he is still young but in the next year you would think to have a good shot at playing ATP in the future he would need to be close to the top 100 by the end of this year.

Last edited by Matchu : 02-18-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
country flag Matchu

Does anyone else get the feeling that Greg is on the outer with Tennis Australia. He has just turned 21 and is on the verge of the top 200. He apparently declined payment from Tennis Australia, which I find very odd.

This week he has not been chosen to hit with the Davis Cup team which is also a little bit strange. Maybe Greg just wants to do it all by himself because he was always behind Brydan Klein and now he is finally ahead of him.

Anyway I think Greg is a huge prospect for us, but I know a few people on this forum don't like his attitude. To those people I say I watched him at the end of 2007 at a challenger tournament in Brisbane and he showed all the qualities that have Australian players have been known for. He lost the first set but fought hard and ended up winning in three sets. This guy is definetly a quality tennis player, pretty consistant too.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #42
country flag Tenys4r

Tenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that Greg is on the outer with Tennis Australia. He has just turned 21 and is on the verge of the top 200. He apparently declined payment from Tennis Australia, which I find very odd.

This week he has not been chosen to hit with the Davis Cup team which is also a little bit strange. Maybe Greg just wants to do it all by himself because he was always behind Brydan Klein and now he is finally ahead of him.

Anyway I think Greg is a huge prospect for us, but I know a few people on this forum don't like his attitude. To those people I say I watched him at the end of 2007 at a challenger tournament in Brisbane and he showed all the qualities that have Australian players have been known for. He lost the first set but fought hard and ended up winning in three sets. This guy is definetly a quality tennis player, pretty consistant too.
Maybe he doesn't fit into the TA criteria - he is now old at 21 and they are only interested in seeing those 16 year olds make it.

I say good luck to him for breaking from AIS - look at Nick Lindahl he has done much much better now that he is no longer in AIS.
Tenys4r is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #43
country flag Matchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenys4r View Post
Maybe he doesn't fit into the TA criteria - he is now old at 21 and they are only interested in seeing those 16 year olds make it.

I say good luck to him for breaking from AIS - look at Nick Lindahl he has done much much better now that he is no longer in AIS.
Nah it wasn't that he didn't fit the criteria, Todd Woodbridge stated in an interview that Greg actually turned them down. Yeah Nick is a great example of someone who was in the system and now is out and is doing a lot better for it.

Anyway Greg has now moved his ranking to 200, I hope this means he will only play challengers/ATP for the rest of the year. He is only 100 points away from the top 150 so a couple of challenger semifinals here and there and he will be on his way.

Good luck this week in Tokyo Greg, I think he has a good chance to make the semis.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #44
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see he is doing well. Be interesting to see what his reason was for declining the funding. Perhaps he didn't want them having too much of a say in his career. Other than that I can't really think of anything.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #45
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing he won't be in the running for the French Open Wildcard unless he puts in some amazing results. A shame as I think he would have been right in there with his SF from the juniors there and if he could have put some good results on the European Clay he would have been hard to ignore given the players ahead of him are either relatively untried on clay or are poor on it.

By the way Greg beat Statham in three sets in Kyoto. Could have won in straights but choked apparently but at least when it counted most in the third set he kept it together.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote