Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #121
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedererBulgaria View Post
whats the problem man
It's too wide, stretched the screen.

Upd. Great, thank you.

Last edited by DanaKz : 09-24-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: updated
DanaKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #122
country flag mrclyde

mrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'm following Tomic and Krajinovic and they're still young Grigor is 19,5 years. Kraijnovic recently didn't present well... Mouratoglou says he has mentality, where's this mentality to be new Agassi at least like Bollettieri said? I think Harrison gonna break into top 100 soon. Just he need to play more tournaments. Tomic too. They're receiving too much WC for big tournaments and want to break from there, not from challengers. From what I've seen Harrison has the best mentality, Grigor is maybe 2nd, and maybe Tomic has the best game.
mrclyde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #123
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

Bulgaria has invaded this thread

by the way this is good for tennis and this is one of the reasons why tennis is better now than before, ridiculous mugs like Chang winning slams at 17 were not exactly what I want to see, this is not WTA
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #124
country flag The Magician
Banned!

The Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond reputeThe Magician has a reputation beyond repute

This is a huge problem for tennis. People say the new generation will step up, but there is no new generation. Everyone winning the big tournaments is in their late 20s or even early 30s, and the future "prospects" are all clowns. Good news for Faker and Muzza fans, they'll be at the top of the game for a long time, and will eventually collect some slams just because no one will step up to replace Fed and Nadull in the next few years.

Just another chapter in the book called: The Death of Tennis by Uncle Tony and the ATP
The Magician is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #125
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helevorn View Post
Bulgaria has invaded this thread

by the way this is good for tennis and this is one of the reasons why tennis is better now than before, ridiculous mugs like Chang winning slams at 17 were not exactly what I want to see, this is not WTA
:retard:
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #126
country flag flipsider

flipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond reputeflipsider has a reputation beyond repute

18 year old(best rankings)

Murray 41
Del Potro 50
Gulbis 79
Cilic 101

Not the biggest talants in the next years, but players like Berankis, Dimitrov,Del Bonis, Harrison, Tomic, Krajinovic be the top30 players for sure.

Last edited by flipsider : 09-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.
flipsider is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #127
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsider View Post
18 year old(best rankings)

Murray 41
Del Potro 50
Gulbis 79
Cilic 101

Not the biggest talants in the next years, but players like Berankis, Dimitrov,Del Bonis, Harrison, Tomic, Krajinovic be the top30 players for sure.
Nice first post and the stats are right! Welcome to MensTennisForums.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #128
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, look at the top players on the ATP and WTA tours. Federer. Serena. Venus. Nadal. Djokovic. Clijsters. These are powerfully built, strong and fast athletes, and mature adults. So, none of this is a surprise. The fact of the matter is, conditioning more than ever is important as a tennis professional. You need to be strong, you need to be fast, you need to have great endurance, you need to be injury tough. The older you are, the more likely you will be tougher physically.

Also, the difference in mental toughness, maturity and experiences is invaluable. The older players understand the grind of tennis, the focus you need to play your best every point, the fight, the training, they know the ins and outs of the game and being on tour. Younger players go through more ups and downs, and instability, emotionally, mentally, and aren't able to handle potentially pitfalls as effectively.

So, the combination of mental and emotional stress and the physicality of the game is why you are seeing fewer teen stars. And that is something that will only continue as the sport continues moving forward. You have to really earn your way and pay your dues and there is much more depth in the game overall. Only the strong survive.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #129
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the peak age of tennis players getting older?

I ask this question "is the peak age of tennis players getting older" because the state of the ATP tour has remained relatively static since 2008. After the Federer dominated years of 2004-2007, three world class players in the form of Nadal (a world class clay player as a youth who has developed the rest of his game to be the undisputed world number 1 by some margin), Djokovic (a grand slam winner) and Murray (a multiple masters champion and grand slam runner up) have now emerged to challenge Federer's domination. And these four players have dominated the men's game since 2008, with the exception of Soderling and Berdych (who are ranked 5 and 6 in the world at the moment). There has been virtually no change in the status quo since 2008, with the top 4 players dominating, with the rest of the field being noticably weaker - even a top 8 player like Verdasco is not expected to even get close to the top 4 player in most matches. There has been no emergence of new young stars who even look likely to break into the top 10 - the likes of Monfils, Tsonga, Cilic are never going to be world class players at the pinnacle of the sport whilst the top 4 guys are around playing like they are. Even Roddick and Lubijic in their old ages are still top players beating down the lower ranked talent. Hell, even Melzer at the grand old age of 29 looks more of a threat than any of the newbies on the scene and with all due respect, I think we can safely say he'll never win a grand slam.

So that is my point - why aren't there any new players emerging? As far as I can say, I haven't seen any new player who looks like he can get close to the top 10. Anyone currently playing will never be a top 10 player who hasn't already reached that level based on what I've seen. So my question is: is the peak age of tennis players getting older, and if so, why?
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #130
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the peak age of tennis players getting older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poirot123 View Post
Anyone currently playing will never be a top 10 player who hasn't already reached that level based on what I've seen.
What? You must be joking.
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #131
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
What? You must be joking.
Who then?

Of course in time people will rise up when the current top players start to decline, but from what I've seen, the standard of tennis at the top the ATP tour will decline if established guys like Monfils get into the top 10 as they are no where near as good as the guys at the top at the moment. This is my point. Unless there are new guys starting out who can rise to that level, I don't see anyone who is an established player at the moment who has the talent to reach the current standards at the very top. That is the whole point of this thread. And why I have speculated that the players are peaking at older ages. If the hypothesis is wrong, then the current crop of younger players are just not as good as the older guys.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #132
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Melzer could, but then he's almost there already. Gulbis if he can get back to the level he had before his injuries.

But then these are well established. Dolgo perhaps? Lots of talent there to be tapped.

That's pretty much it in the top100, the rest who might make it back to top10 have already been there.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #133
country flag Poirot123

That's my point though. There's absolutely nothing in the top 100 at the moment that we can all sit there and think "yes, he's going to a grand slam champion" beyond the top 4 guys (possibly Soderling and Berdych and Del Potro if he returns to full fitness and form).Players like Roddick who have been around for a decade still have a better chance of winning grand slams than the newer players like Cilic and Gulbis. There really is no new talent, and there hasn't been since Nadal, Djokovic, Murray (and I'm forgetting Del Potro) emerged to challenge Federer. Are these guys really that much better than everyone else. Why are there no new young guys emerging? The ATP tour is ageing, such that the Lujubic, Davydenko, Youzney, Melzer and Roddick are still top 20 players in their late 20s / early 30s.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #134
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I recommend reading StatRacket's analysis.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #135
country flag Infinity

Infinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond reputeInfinity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poirot123 View Post
That's my point though. There's absolutely nothing in the top 100 at the moment that we can all sit there and think "yes, he's going to a grand slam champion" beyond the top 4 guys (possibly Soderling and Berdych and Del Potro if he returns to full fitness and form).Players like Roddick who have been around for a decade still have a better chance of winning grand slams than the newer players like Cilic and Gulbis. There really is no new talent, and there hasn't been since Nadal, Djokovic, Murray (and I'm forgetting Del Potro) emerged to challenge Federer. Are these guys really that much better than everyone else. Why are there no new young guys emerging? The ATP tour is ageing, such that the Lujubic, Davydenko, Youzney, Melzer and Roddick are still top 20 players in their late 20s / early 30s.
No, they are not. Even in their very worst year (aside Nadal), no one challenged them.

May be an injured Del Potro who had a chance this year to rise to #3 after being absent for several months.

They were not holding young talents from rising. If this was the case, this year was a good opportunity to anyone. No one emerged ...
Infinity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote